L'Hocine, Lamia, Ph.D.
Research Scientist - Food Proteins
3600 Casavant Blvd W
Saint-Hyacinthe, Quebec J2S 8E3
Areas of Expertise:
- Protein/allergen /enzyme biochemistry
- Extraction, isolation and purification of food proteins
- Functional, nutritional and bioactive properties of food/plant proteins
- Immunochemical and structural characterization of food proteins
- Impact of processing on protein/allergen/enzyme properties
- Behaviour and fate of proteins/allergens in the gastrointestinal tract using an in-vitro dynamic simulated GI tract system
- Enzymatic and physico-chemical techniques applied to foods
- Impact of industry-relevant processing and matrix formulations on the allergenic potential of legume proteins
- Identification of promising soybean, wheat and oat varieties with high protein quality (digestibility, amino acid profiles, and bioactive potential)
- Effect of variety and processing on the protein quality of Canadian pulses
- Identification of efficient and robust traits for the evaluation of soybean varieties suited for quality soymilk production
- Impact of varietal differences of oat on bioactive peptides generation by a dynamic in vitro protein digestion process
- Characterization of glabrous canary seed proteins for new market opportunities
- Impact of processing on the enzymatic and aromatic profiles of frozen vegetables
- Mason, E., L’hocine, L., Achouri, A., Karboune, S. (2018). Hairless canaryseed: A novel cereal with health promoting potential, 10(9), http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/nu10091327
- L'Hocine, L., Pitre, M. (2016). Quantitative and qualitative optimization of allergen extraction from peanut and selected tree nuts. Part 1. Screening of optimal extraction conditions using a D-optimal experimental design, 194 780-786. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2015.08.031
- L'Hocine, L., Pitre, M. (2016). Quantitative and qualitative optimization of allergen extraction from peanut and selected tree nuts. Part 2. Optimization of buffer and ionic strength using a full factorial experimental design, 194 820-827. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2015.08.032
- Seo, S., L'Hocine, L., Karboune, S. (2014). Allergenicity of potato proteins and of their conjugates with galactose, galactooligosaccharides, and galactan in native, heated, and digested forms, 62(16), 3591-3598. http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/jf5003073
- Eissa, S., L'Hocine, L., Siaj, M., Zourob, M. (2013). A graphene-based label-free voltammetric immunosensor for sensitive detection of the egg allergen ovalbumin, 138(15), 4378-4384. http://dx.doi.org/10.1039/c3an36883a
- Seo, S., Karboune, S., L'Hocine, L., Yaylayan, V. (2013). Characterization of glycated lysozyme with galactose, galactooligosaccharides and galactan: Effect of glycation on structural and functional properties of conjugates, 53(1), 44-53. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2013.02.001
- Eissa, S., Tlili, C., L'Hocine, L., Zourob, M. (2012). Electrochemical immunosensor for the milk allergen Β-lactoglobulin based on electrografting of organic film on graphene modified screen-printed carbon electrodes, 38(1), 308-313. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.bios.2012.06.008
- Seo, S., Karboune, S., Yaylayan, V., L'Hocine, L. (2012). Glycation of lysozyme with galactose, galactooligosaccharides and potato galactan through the Maillard reaction and optimization of the production of prebiotic glycoproteins, 47(2), 297-304. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.procbio.2011.11.007
- Karboune, S., L'Hocine, L., Anthoni, J., Geraert, P.-A., and Kermasha, S. (2009). "Properties of Selected Hemicellulases of a Multi-Enzymatic System from Penicillium funiculosum.", Bioscience, Biotechnology, and Biochemistry (BBB), 73(6), pp. 1286-1292. doi : 10.1271/bbb.80808
Other science related publications
- Des Marchais, L.-P., Villeneuve, S., L'Hocine, L., and Pitre, M. (2015). "Effect of Navy bean processing on dough rheological properties and bread-making potential.", International Congress on Engineering and Food, Engineering Challenges: bridging science and food innovations, Québec city, Canada, June 14-18, 2015. (Poster)
- L'Hocine, L. (2015). "Les aliments peuvent-ils devenir moins allergènes?", Semaine de l’agriculture, de l’alimentation et de la consommation (SAAC)- Le symposium, Centre de foires de Québec, Québec, QC, Canada, January 2015. (Presentation)
- L'Hocine, L. and Pitre, M. (2014). "Detection and identification of allergens from local Canadian varieties of mustard.", 8th Workshop on Food Allergen Methodologies, Sheraton Wall Centre, Vancouver, BC, Canada, May 2014. (Poster)
- L'Hocine, L., Pitre, M., Bernard, H., and Arcand, Y. (2014). "Impact of Food Processing and Food Matrix Composition on Peanut Allergens Digestibility and Allergenicity by a Dynamic in Vitro Digestion System.", 17th IUFoST World Congress of Food Science and Technology, Montreal, QC, Canada, August 17-22, 2014, Oral presentation.
- L'Hocine, L., Pitre, M., Villeneuve, S., Des Marchais, L.-P., and Achouri, A. (2014). "Impact of industry-relevant thermal processing on navy bean proteins immunoreactivity.", 8th Workshop on Food Allergen Methodologies, Sheraton Wall Centre, Vancouver, BC, Canada, May 2014. (Poster)
- Seo, S., Karboune, S., and L'Hocine, L. (2013). "Effects of glycation through the Maillard reaction on the allergenicity of potato proteins.", Institute of Food Technologists (IFT) 2013 Annual Meeting and Food Expo®, Chicago, Illinois, USA, July 13-16, 2013. (Poster)
- Eissa, S., Tlili, C., L'Hocine, L., and Zourob, M. (2012). "Graphene-based label-free voltammetric immunosensor for the sensitive detection of multiple food allergens.", 7th Workshop on Food Allergen Methodologies, Montréal, QC, Canada, May 6-9, 2012. (Poster)
- L'Hocine, L. (2012). "Demystifying food allergens detection assays.", 22ième Colloque de l’AQAA, St-Pierre Centre, Montréal, QC, Canada, June 2, 2012. (Presentation)
- L'Hocine, L. (2012). "Impact of food matrix and processing on Allergens.", LesMetsSages-AQAA, 21(1).
- L'Hocine, L. and Pitre, M. (2012). "Impact of extraction conditions on peanut and tree-nut allergens recovery, profile and immunoreactivity.", 7th Workshop on Food Allergen Methodologies, Montréal, QC, Canada, May 6-9, 2012. (Poster)
- L'Hocine, L., Pitre, M., and Wanasundara, P.K.J.P.D. (2012). "Assessment of protein and IgE-binding profiles of select Canadian mustard seeds.", 50th National Conference of the Canadian Institute of Food Science and Technology (CIFST's): Innovation meets Commercialization, Niagara Falls, ON, Canada, May 27-29, 2012. (Poster)
- L'Hocine, L. (2011). "Impact of food processing on allergens.", Zip technologique- Les allergènes, Saint-Hyacinthe, QC, Canada, June 16, 2011. (Presentation)
- Boye, J.I., L'Hocine, L., and Rajamohamed, S.H. (2010). "Processing Foods without Soybean Ingredients.", in Boye, J.I. and Godefroy, S.B. (eds.) - Allergen Management in the Food Industry, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd, Chapter 13, Section II.
- L'Hocine, L., Pitre, M., Walckiers, J., and Tamim, O. (2010). "Optimized peanut allergens extraction technique appropriate for two-dimensional electrophoresis analysis and immunodetection.", 14th Annual Federal Food Safety and Nutrition Research Meeting (FFSNRM), Ottawa, ON, Canada, November 3-4, 2010.
- L'Hocine, L., Pitre, M., and Guay, F. (2010). "Optimization of the preparation of non altered and natural allergens extracts from peanut and tree-nuts using a D-optimal experimental design.", 2010 Canadian Institute of Food Science & Technology (CIFST) and AAFC Conference, Fairmont Winnipeg Hotel, Winnipeg, MB, Canada, May 30-June 1, 2010.
- Achouri, A., Boye, J.I., Nail, V., and L'Hocine, L. (2009). "Impact of High Pressure and Thermal Processing on the Immunoreactivity of Sesame Protein Isolate.", 2009 Alberta Beekeepers Commission Annual General Meeting, Rosen Shingle Creek, Orlando, FL, USA, May 3-6, 2009.
Report a problem on this page
- Date modified: