Pest Management Centre
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
960 Carling Ave, Building 57
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Map to Pest Management Centre
Sign up for Pest Management Centre E-mail Notifications
- Receive email updates about our current research projects and agricultural pest management product registrations, as well as information about our other activities.
2020 is the International Year of Plant Health as declared by the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. And see how Canada supports the International Year of Plant Health.
Pest Management Program Service teams
- Pesticide Risk Reduction
Reducing risks associated with pesticide use in agricultural crop production
- Minor Use Pesticides
Supporting Canadian growers of minor crops (horticultural, fruits, berries, seeds, forages and other specialty crops) with their pest management needs by generating data for registration of new minor uses of pesticides.
Our current science activities
- Integrated Pest Management Solutions
Projects developing and evaluating lower-risk pest control approaches for agricultural crops
- Minor-use Pesticide Projects
Research projects and product regulatory submissions focused on managing pests on specific, minor crops
Projects incorporating biopesticides as part of integrated management programs for insect pests, weeds and plant diseases of crops
- Agricultural Pest Management
Learn about pest management research project results and agricultural pest management resources including crop profiles, field guides, fact sheets, strategies to reduce the use of pesticides, and other resources.
- Pest Management Centre Advisory and Technical Committees
Our advisory and technical committees provide advice to effectively deliver the work of the Pest Management Program.
What we are doing
Our research priorities are determined in partnership with the grower community, provincial governments, scientific experts, and the crop protection industry by identifying critical weed, insect and disease pest problems and matching them with potential solutions.
Our research activities also include non-chemical control options such as biopesticides, and farm management practices that integrate tillage, crop rotation, cultivar resistance, seed selection, balanced fertility, and sanitation into pest management programs.
At various agricultural research facilities across the country, PMC staff conduct trials and collect data to support the registration of certain pesticides for use on minor crops, assisting Canada's crop producers to protect the yield, value, and their quality.
The Pest Management Centre does not provide advice on pest management to farmers or homeowners. Please contact your provincial government specialists for pest management recommendations pertinent to your region.
Advisory and technical committees advise us on emerging issues and research needs and assist our communication efforts by reporting back to interested stakeholder groups about our research programs and results.
We collaborate internationally with the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) Pesticides Forum, the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) Codex Committee on Pesticide Residues, and the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) Technical Working Group on Pesticides to promote work sharing, global harmonized maximum residue levels (MRLs), and to work towards acceptance of global data and Integrated Pest Management (IPM).
Articles of interest
- How this tiny wasp is working to keep food on our tables (2020-10-01)
- No, you don't have to grow crops to get help for your weeds (2020-06-15)
- The partner canadian growers rely on to protect their crops (2020-03-15)
- Modelling where invasive alien insects are going next (2019-08-29)
- Sustainable biocontrol agents: a standing army at the ready (2019-06-21)
- Fusarium dry rot and seed piece decay in the Maritimes (2019-04-04)
- Herbicide resistance – Genetic tools for zero tolerance (2019-02-11)
- Innovative biobed design prevents up to 70% of water contamination by pesticides on farms (2019-02-22)
- Agriculture: then and now - Managing pests (video) (2018-11-27)
- Limiting contamination from pesticide spills, splashes and rinses (2018-06-05)
- New model scores a hat-trick for farmers - Helping them manage aphids, save money, and improve environmental performance (2018-03-29)
- Cover crops to combat bacterial diseases in squash (2018-02-27)
- Use of insect netting for cabbage maggot control (2018-02-07)
To receive e-mail notifications:
- Send e-mail to: email@example.com
- Leave the subject line and body blank
To stop receiving e-mail notifications:
- Send e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Leave the subject line and body blank
Report a problem on this page
- Date modified: