Darbyshire, Stephen, M.Sc.
960 Carling Ave
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0C6
Areas of Expertise:
- plant geography
- genetic relationships
- crop-weed complex
- weed pest species
- plant evolution
- plant systematics
- diagnostics and identification systems
- Accurate identification, information and related training for scientific research and biodiversity protection.
- Build and maintain reference collections and databases of plants and fungi: AAFC National Collection of Vascular Plants (DAO) and National Mycological Herbarium (DAOM). Support for Canadian Collection of Fungal Cultures (CCFC).
- Development of phylogenomics capability, rapid detection and identification tools.
- Plants: Develop new information on taxonomy, phylogeny, distribution and biology of plants including systematic research related to new and existing crop/bioproduct development, alien invasive species and impacts of genetically modified plants.
- Darbyshire, Stephen, Sean Blaney, and Sean Basquill. 2017. The first record for Altai Fescue, Festuca altaica (Poaceae), in Nova Scotia, from an eastern alpine site on Cape Breton Island. Canadian Field-Naturalist 131(2): 164–169. https://doi.org/10.22621/cfn.v131i2.1861
- DiTommaso, A., Darbyshire, S.J., Marschner, C.A., and Averill, K.M. (2014). "North-East, North-Central, Mid-Atlantic United States and Southern Canada: Japanese Hedgeparsley (Torilis japonica) -- A New Invasive Species in the United States?", Invasive Plant Science and Management, 7(4), pp. 553-560. doi : 10.1614/IPSM-D-14-00028.1
- Cavers, P.B., Darbyshire, S.J., and Mulligan, G.A. (2013). "History of the series on the Biology of Canadian Weeds.", Canadian Journal of Plant Science, 93(3), pp. 351-361. doi : 10.4141/cjps2013-500
- Darbyshire, S.J., Simard, M.-J., and Nurse, R.E. (2013). "The Spikelet Callus of Eriochloa Villosa (Poaceae).", Journal of the Botanical Research Institute of Texas (BRIT), 7(2), pp. 697-702.
- Small, E. and Darbyshire, S.J. (2011). "Blossoming treasures of biodiversity: 35. Mosquito Ferns (Azolla species) - tiny 'super plants'.", Biodiversity, 12(2), pp. 119-128.
- Darbyshire, S.J., Connor, H.E., and Ertter, B. (2010). "The genus Rytidosperma in the United States of America.", Journal of the Botanical Research Institute of Texas (BRIT), 4(2), pp. 663-676.
- Cayouette, J. and Darbyshire, S.J. (2009). "Schizachne Hack.", in Anderton, L.K. and Barkworth, M.E. (eds.) - Grasses of the Intermountain Region, Utah State University Press, USA, pp. 289-310.
- Cayouette, J. and Darbyshire, S.J. (2009). "Vahlodea Fr.", in Anderton, L.K. and Barkworth, M.E. (eds.) - Grasses of the Intermountain Region, Utah State University Press, USA, pp. 149-150.
- Darbyshire, S.J. and Allison, K. (2009). "The Dispersal of Weeds Through Marine Transport Disaster.", in Van Devender T., Espinosa-García, F.J., Harper-Lore, B.L., and Hubbard, T. (eds.) - Invasive Plants on the Move. Controlling them in North America. Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum Series, Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum Press, Tucson, AR, USA.
- Darbyshire, S.J. and Prasad, R. (2009). "Proceedings of the Weeds Across Borders 2008 Conference, Banff, Alberta Canada, May 28-30th, 2008 (Preface).", in Darbyshire, S.J. and Prasad, R. (eds.) - Proceedings of the Weeds Across Borders 2008 Conference, Alberta Invasive Plants Council, Canada, pp. ix-xi.
- Darbyshire, S.J. and Prasad, R. (Eds.) (2009). Proceedings of the Weeds Across Borders 2008 Conference., Alberta Invasive Plants Council, Canada. (Book)
Other science related publications
- Eden Bromfield, Sylvie Cloutier, Catherine Robidas and Stephen Darbyshire (2017) Invasive Galega officianalis (Goat’s rue) plants in Canada form an association with the symbiotic bacterium, Neorhizobium galegae, from Eurasia. 14th Symposium on Bacterial Genetics and Ecology, Aberdeen, Scotland, 4-8 June 2017
- Nurse, R.E., Simard, M.-J., and Darbyshire, S.J. (2015). "Effect of late glyphosate application on seed production and viability in woolly cupgrass. CWSS.", Canadian Weed Science Society Meeting, Edmonton, AB, Canada, November 23-26, 2015.
- Darbyshire, S.J. and Francis, A. (2014). "Artemisia biennis - contribution to the CABI Invasive Species Compendium – a web-based database (http://www.cabi.org/isc/)."
- Darbyshire, S.J., Bromfield, E.S.P., Cloutier, S., and Robidas, C. (2014). "Symbiotic association with Neorhizobium galegae limits the dispersal of Galega officinalis (Goat’s Rue) in Canada.", 68th Annual Meeting of the Canadian Weed Science Society - Société canadienne de malherbologie, Montreal, QC, Canada, November 17-20, 2014, pp. 31. (Poster)
- Simard, M.-J., Darbyshire, S.J., and Nurse, R.E. (2012). "Emergence pattern and fitness of a Canadian woolly cupgrass (Eriochloa villosa) population.", Weed Science Society of America Meeting, Waikoloa, Hawaii, USA, February 7-10, 2012. (Abstract)
- Bon, M.-C., Guermache, F., Rodier-Goud, M., Bakry, F., Bourge, M., Dolgovskaya, M., Volkovitsh, M., Sforza, R., Darbyshire, S.J., and Milbrath, L.R. (2011). "Ploidy level and genome size of Vincetoxicum nigrum (L.) Moench and V. rossicum (Kleopow) Barbarich (Apocynaceae), two invasive vines in North America.", 13th International Symposium on Biological Control of Weeds, Kona, HI, USA, September 11-16, 2011.
- Darbyshire, S.J. (2010). "New Initiatives in Canada's Response to Invasive Plants (2008–2010).", Weeds Across Borders 2010: “Plant Invasions: Policies, Politics, and Practices, National Conservation Training Center, Shepherdstown, WV, USA, June 1-4, 2010, Published in: E. Rindos (ed.), Plant Invasions: policies, politics, and practices., pp. 22-29.
Report a problem on this page
- Date modified: