Koutchma, Tatiana, Ph.D.
93 Stone Road West
Guelph, Ontario N1G 5C9
Areas of Expertise:
- thermal processing
- innovative processing technologies with emphasis on ultraviolet light irradiation, microwave heating, ultra high pressure
- process calculations
- modeling reaction kinetics
- engineering properties of foods
- process validation
- Balamurugan, S., Ahmed, R., Chibeu, A., Gao, A., Koutchma, T., Strange, P. (2016). Effect of salt types and concentrations on the high-pressure inactivation of Listeria monocytogenes in ground chicken, 218 51-56. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfoodmicro.2015.11.010
- Hao, H., Zhou, T., Koutchma, T., Wu, F., Warriner, K. (2016). High hydrostatic pressure assisted degradation of patulin in fruit and vegetable juice blends, 62 237-242. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2015.10.042
- Hu, G., Zhu, Y., Hernandez, M., Koutchma, T., Shao, S. (2016). An efficient method for the simultaneous determination of furan, 2-methylfuran and 2-pentylfuran in fruit juices by headspace solid phase microextraction and gas chromatography-flame ionisation detector, 192 9-14. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2015.06.100
- Koutchma, T., Popović,, V., Ros-Polski, V., and Popielarz, A. (2016). "Effects of Ultraviolet Light and High-Pressure Processing on Quality and Health-Related Constituents of Fresh Juice Products.", Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety, pp. 1-24. doi : 10.1111/1541-4337.12214
- Alberini, F., Simmons, M.J.H., Parker, D.J., Koutchma, T. (2015). Validation of hydrodynamic and microbial inactivation models for UV-C treatment of milk in a swirl-tube 'SurePure Turbulator™', 162 63-69. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2015.04.009
- Cappozzo, J.C., Koutchma, T., Barnes, G. (2015). Chemical characterization of milk after treatment with thermal (HTST and UHT) and nonthermal (turbulent flow ultraviolet) processing technologies, 98(8), 5068-5079. http://dx.doi.org/10.3168/jds.2014-9190
- Crook, J.A., Rossitto, P.V., Parko, J., Koutchma, T., Cullor, J.S. (2015). Efficacy of ultraviolet (uv-c) light in a thin-film turbulent flow for the reduction of milkborne pathogens, 12(6), 506-513. http://dx.doi.org/10.1089/fpd.2014.1843
- Jermann, C., Koutchma, T., Margas, E., Leadley, C., Ros-Polski, V. (2015). Mapping trends in novel and emerging food processing technologies around the world, 31 14-27. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ifset.2015.06.007
- Orlowska, M., Koutchma, T., Kostrzynska, M., Tang, J. (2015). Surrogate organisms for pathogenic O157:H7 and non-O157 Escherichia coli strains for apple juice treatments by UV-C light at three monochromatic wavelengths, 47 647-655. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2014.08.004
- Rodriguez-Gonzalez, O., Buckow, R., Koutchma, T., Balasubramaniam, V.M. (2015). Energy Requirements for Alternative Food Processing Technologies-Principles, Assumptions, and Evaluation of Efficiency, 14(5), 536-554. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/1541-4337.12142
- Ros-Polski, V., Koutchma, T., Xue, J., Defelice, C., Balamurugan, S. (2015). Effects of high hydrostatic pressure processing parameters and NaCl concentration on the physical properties, texture and quality of white chicken meat, 30 31-42. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ifset.2015.04.003
- Yin, F., Zhu, Y., Koutchma, T., Gong, J. (2015). Inactivation and potential reactivation of pathogenic Escherichia coli O157: H7 in apple juice following ultraviolet light exposure at three monochromatic wavelengths, 46 329-335. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.fm.2014.08.015
- Yin, F., Zhu, Y., Koutchma, T., Gong, J. (2015). Inactivation and potential reactivation of pathogenic Escherichia coli O157: H7 in bovine milk exposed to three monochromatic ultraviolet UVC lights, 49 74-81. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.fm.2015.01.014
- Cilliers, F.P., Gouws, P.A., Koutchma, T., Engelbrecht, Y., Adriaanse, C., Swart, P. (2014). A microbiological, biochemical and sensory characterisation of bovine milk treated by heat and ultraviolet (UV) light for manufacturing Cheddar cheese, 23 94-106. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ifset.2014.03.005
- Keener, L., Nicholson-Keener, S.M., Koutchma, T. (2014). Harmonization of legislation and regulations to achieve food safety: US and Canada perspective, 94(10), 1947-1953. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.6295
- Koutchma, T. (2014). Adapting High Hydrostatic Pressure For Food Processing Operations., Elsevier. (Book)
- Koutchma, T. (2014). Food Plant Safety: UV Applications for Food and Nonfood Surfaces., Elsevier. (Book)
- Koutchma, T. (2014). Preservation and Shelf Life Extension: UV Applications for Fluid Foods., Canada: Elsevier Inc. Academic Press. (Book)
- Koutchma, T. (2014). Ultraviolet light for preservation and shelf life extension of fluid foods, drinks and beverages., Elsevier. (Book)
- Orlowska, M., Koutchma, T., Kostrzynska, M., Tang, J., Defelice, C. (2014). Evaluation of mixing flow conditions to inactivate Escherichia coli in opaque liquids using pilot-scale Taylor-Couette UV unit, 120(1), 100-109. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2013.07.020
- Zhu, Y., Koutchma, T., Warriner, K., Zhou, T. (2014). Reduction of patulin in apple juice products by uv light of different wavelengths in the uvc range, 77(6), 963-971. http://dx.doi.org/10.4315/0362-028X.JFP-13-429
- Orlowska, M., Koutchma, T., Grapperhaus, M., Gallagher, J., Schaefer, R., Defelice, C. (2013). Continuous and Pulsed Ultraviolet Light for Nonthermal Treatment of Liquid Foods. Part 1: Effects on Quality of Fructose Solution, Apple Juice, and Milk, 6(6), 1580-1592. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11947-012-0779-8
- Zhu, Y., Koutchma, T., Warriner, K., Shao, S., Zhou, T. (2013). Kinetics of patulin degradation in model solution, apple cider and apple juice by ultraviolet radiation, 19(4), 291-303. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1082013212452414
- Gómez-López, V.M., Koutchma, T., and Linden, K.G. (2012). "Ultraviolet & Pulsed White Light.", in Cullen, P.J., Tiwari, B and Valdramidis, V. (eds.) - Novel Thermal and Non-Thermal Technologies for Fluid Foods, Elsevier.
- Juliano, P., Bilbao-Sáinz, C., Koutchma, T., Balasubramaniam, V.M., Clark, S., Stewart, C.M., Dunne, C.P., and Barbosa-Cánovas, G.V. (2012). "Shelf-Stable Egg-Based Products Processed by High Pressure Thermal Sterilization.", Food Engineering Reviews, 4(1), pp. 55-67. doi : 10.1007/s12393-011-9046-4
- Forney, L.J., Koutchma, T., and Ye, Z. (2011). "Characterization and Simulation of Ultraviolet Processing of Liquid Foods Using Computational Fluid Dynamics.", in Knoerzer, K., Juliano, P., Roupas, P. and Versteeg, C. (eds.) - Innovative Food Processing Technologies: Advances in Multiphysics Simulation, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd, Chapter 14, pp. 303-323.
- Koutchma, T. (2011). "High pressure process design.", in Ahmed, J. and Rahman, M.S. (eds.) - Handbook of Food Process Design, Wiley - Blackwell.
- Koutchma, T. (2011). "Pasteurization and Sterilization.", in Da-Wen Sun (ed.) - Handbook of Food Safety Engineering, CRC Press.
- Rawson, A., Patras, A., Tiwari, B.K., Noci, F., Koutchma, T., and Brunton, N. (2011). "Effect of thermal and non thermal processing technologies on the bioactive content of exotic fruits and their products: Review of recent advances.", Food Research International, 44(7), pp. 1875-1887. doi : 10.1016/j.foodres.2011.02.053
- Juliano, P., Koutchma, T., Sui, Q., Barbosa-Cánovas, G.V., and Sadler, G. (2010). "Polymeric-Based Food Packaging for High-Pressure Processing.", Food Engineering Reviews, 2(4), pp. 274-297. doi : 10.1007/s12393-010-9026-0
- Koutchma, T. (2009). "Advances in Ultraviolet Light Technology for Non-thermal Processing of Liquid Foods.", Food and Bioprocess Technology, 2(2), pp. 138-155. doi : 10.1007/s11947-008-0178-3
- Koutchma, T., Song, Y., Setikaite, I., Juliano, P., Barbosa-Cánovas, G.V., Dunne, C.P., and Patazca, E. (2009). "Packaging Evaluation for High-Pressure High-Temperature Sterilization of Shelf-Stable Foods.", Journal of Food Process Engineering, 33(6), pp. 1097-1114. doi : 10.1111/j.1745-4530.2008.00328.x
- Setikaite, I., Koutchma, T., Patazca, E., and Parisi, B. (2009). "Effects of Water Activity in Model Systems on High-Pressure Inactivation of Escherichia coli.", Food and Bioprocess Technology, 2(2), pp. 213-221. doi : 10.1007/s11947-008-0069-7
Other science related publications
- Balamurugan, S., Ahmed, R., Gao, A., Koutchma, T., and Strange, P. (2015). "Effect of salt concentrations on the high pressure inactivation of Listeria monocytogenes.", Annual meeting of the International Association of Food Protection, Portland, OR, USA, July 28, 2015, Invited oral presentation.
- Koutchma, T. and Keener, L. (2015). "Novel Food Safety Technologies Emerge in Food Production.", Food Safety Magazine, 2015(January).
- Hao, H.Y., Koutchma, T., Alexandra, S., Zhou, T., and Warriner, K. (2014). "Patulin Determination at Screen Printed Electrodes by Square Wave Voltammetry.", International Association for Food Protection (IAFP) Annual Meeting, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA, August 3-6, 2014.
- Koutchma, T. (2014). ""Ultraviolet Treatment of Orange Juice to Inactivate E. coli O157:H7 as Affected by Native Microflora" by Juan M. Oteiza, Leda Giannuzzi, Noemí Zaritzky [Food and Bioprocess Technology 3-4 (2010) 603-614]: UV Irradiation Dose Corrections (Letter).", Food and Bioprocess Technology, 7(4), pp. 1215-1216.
- Zhu, Y., Koutchma, T., Warriner, K., and Zhou, T. (2014). "Reduction of patulin in apple juice products by UV light of different wavelengths in the UVC range.", International Association for Food Protection (IAFP) Annual Meeting, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA, August 3-6, 2014, Supplement A to the Journal of Food Protection. 77:69.
- Koutchma, T. (2013). "Bridging Advantages of UV Technology for Better Safety and Quality of Fluid Foods and Beverages with Cost Saving and Sustainability Opportunities.", IFT 2103, Chicago, IL, USA. (Presentation)
- Koutchma, T. (2013). "Non-thermal and non-chemical UV Purification Achieves Better Safety and Quality of Food and Drink Ingredients.", World of Food Ingredients.
- Koutchma, T. and Barnes, G. (2013). "Shelf Life Enhancement of Milk Products.", published in Food Technology.
- Koutchma, T. (2012). "Gaps in emerging food processing technologies Second International Food Safety Working Group Workshop – Advances and Trends.", CIGR, Valencia, Spain, July 2-5, 2012. (Presentation)
- Koutchma, T. (2012). "UV Technologies for Food Processing.", CIFST, Niagara Falls, Canada, May 2012. (Presentation)
- Koutchma, T. and Orlowska, M. (2012). "Ultraviolet Light for Processing Fruits and Fruit Products.", in Rodrigues, S. and Fernandes, F.A.N. (eds.) - Advances in Fruit Processing Technologies, CRC Press Taylor & Francis, Boca Raton, FL, USA, Chapter 1, pp. 2-27.
- Koutchma, T., Orlowska, M., and Zhu, Y. (2012 in press). "Ultraviolet and pulsed light applications in fruit processing.", in Rosenthal, A., Barbosa-Canovas, G., Welti-Chanes, J., and Deliza, R. (eds.) - Fruit Preservation: Novel and Conventional Technologies, Unknown.
- Orlowska, M., Koutchma, T., Defelice, C., Kostrzynska, M., Bezanson, G.S., and Tang, J. (2012). "Application of the prototype Taylor-Couette UV reactor for the processing of opaque juices.", Canadian Institute of Food Science and Technology 50th National Conference (CIFST), Niagara Falls, ON, Canada, May 27 – 29, 2012, (Poster).
- Zhu, Y., Koutchma, T., and Zhou, T. (2012). "Kinetics of Patulin Degradation in Model Solution, Apple Cider and Apple Juice by Ultraviolet Light.", CoFE, VA, USA, April, 2012. (Presentation)
- Koutchma, T. (2011). "Merging food processing technologies in the age of global food safety: Approaches and Updates in Research, Regulations and Validation.", 1st International CIGR Workshop on Food Safety, Agrosup, Dijon, France, April 14-15, 2011.
- Koutchma, T. (2011). "Ultraviolet Light as Control Measure in Food Processing.", Nonthermal Processing Division Workshop, Osnabrück, Germany, October 11-14, 2011.
- Koutchma, T., Orlowska, M., and Defelice, C. (2011). "Theoretical and Experimental Approaches to Improve Performance of UV systems for Liquid Foods and Beverages.", 6th International CIGR Technical Symposium. Toward a Sustainable Food Chain. Food Process, Bioprocessing and Food Quality Management. Section VI, Nantes, France, April 18-20, 2011.
- Koutchma, T., Orlowska, M., and Defelice, C. (2011). "Ultraviolet Light for Safety of Fluid Foods and Beverages.", 2nd North American Conference on Ozone, Ultraviolet & Advanced Oxidation Technologies, Toronto, ON, Canada, September 18-20, 2011.
- Rodríguez-Gonzále, O., Buckow, R., Koutchma, T., and Balasubramaniam, V.M. (2011). "Energy efficiency of selected nonthermal food processes for preserving apple juice.", Nonthermal Processing Division Workshop, Osnabrück, Germany, October 11-14, 2011.
- Zhu, Y., Fan, W., Koutchma, T., Zhou, T., and Warriner, K. (2011). "Degradation of patulin in model solution and apple juice by ultraviolet radiation.", FSFN, December 6, 2011. (Presentation)
- Hiremath, N., Deschênes, L., Zareifard, M.R., Ramaswamy, H.S., and Koutchma, T. (2010). "Review on adhesion and biofilm formation under continuous flow conditions in food processing.", 2010 Canadian Institute of Food Science & Technology (CIFST) and AAFC Conference, Fairmont Winnipeg Hotel, Winnipeg, MB, Canada, May 30-June 1, 2010. (Abstract)
- Koutchma, T. (2010). "Challenges of UV light processing of low UVT foods and beverages.", Proceedings of SPIE - The International Society for Optical Engineering, 7789(Article No. 7789OH).
- Koutchma, T. (2010). "Ultraviolet light for safety of fluid foods: challenges and solutions.", 2010 Canadian Institute of Food Science & Technology (CIFST) and AAFC Conference, Fairmont Winnipeg Hotel, Winnipeg, MB, Canada, May 30-June 1, 2010, # 09-2. (Abstract)
- Koutchma, T. (2009). "Traditional and High-Technology approaches to microbial safety in foods.", in Heredia, N.L., Wesley, I.V., and Garcia, J.S. (eds.) - Microbiologically Safe Foods for the 21st Century, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd, Chapter 23.
- Koutchma, T. and Yakovlev, V. (2009). "Computer modeling and simulation of microwave heating process for food preservation.", in Farid, M.M. (ed.) - Mathematical Analysis of Food Processing. Series: Contemporary Food Engineering, CRC Press Taylor & Francis, Boca Raton, FL, USA.
- Koutchma, T., Forney, L.J., Moraru, C.I., and Sun, D.-W. (2009). Ultraviolet Light in Food Technology: Principles and Applications., Taylor & Francis. (Book)
- Ye, Z. and Koutchma, T. (2009). "Mathematical Modeling and Design of Ultraviolet Light Process for Liquid Foods and Beverages.", in Farid, M.M. (ed.) - Mathematical Analysis of Food Processing. Series: Contemporary Food Engineering, CRC Press Taylor & Francis, Boca Raton, FL, USA.
Report a problem on this page
- Date modified: