Xiang, Yu, D.Sc.
4200 Highway 97
Summerland, British Columbia V0H 1Z0
Areas of Expertise:
- plant virus infections
- genomes and genome structures of fruit tree viruses
- interactions between viruses and plant defensive responses
- conservation of plant viral genetic resources
- mycoviruses of plant fungal pathogens (identification and classification)
- phytoplasma diseases (identification and classification)
- small ribonucleic acid (RNA) technologies, including small interfering RNA (siRNA) and artificial microRNA (amiRNA), and their applications in functional genomics study
- plant transformation and plant tissue culture
- Cherry mottle leaf virus (genomics and pathogenicity)
- Conservation of plant viral genetic resources (fruit tree viral diseases identification and database building; methods for monitoring, evaluating and enhancing of the current maintenance systems in fruit tree virus conservation)
- Supporting direct detection of quarantine and invasive plant virus diseases in the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA)
- Bhagwat, B., Chi, M., Han, D., Tang, H., Tang, G., and Xiang, Y. (2016). "Design, Construction, and Validation of Artificial MicroRNA Vectors Using Agrobacterium-Mediated Transient Expression System.", Methods in Molecular Biology (Clifton, N.J.), 1405, pp. 149-162. doi : 10.1007/978-1-4939-3393-8_14
- Chi, M., Bhagwat, B., Tang, G., and Xiang, Y. (2016). "Knockdown of Polyphenol Oxidase Gene Expression in Potato (Solanum tuberosum L.) with Artificial MicroRNAs.", Methods in Molecular Biology (Clifton, N.J.), 1405, pp. 163-178. doi : 10.1007/978-1-4939-3393-8_15
- Liu, J.-J. and Xiang, Y. (2011). "In Silico Mining and PCR-Based Approaches to Transcription Factor Discovery in Non-model Plants: Gene Discovery of the WRKY Transcription.", Methods in Molecular Biology (Clifton, N.J.), 754(2), pp. 21-43. doi : 10.1007/978-1-61779-154-3_2
- Bai, X., Liu, J.-J., Hao, X., Dubeau, C.R., and Xiang, Y. (2010). "Virus genomic cloning, bioinformatics and metagenomics.", in Wang, A. (ed.) - Principles and Practice of Advanced Technology in Plant Virology, Research Signpost, Kerala, India, Chapter 4, pp. 71-92.
Other science related publications
- Li, Z.N., Bhagwat, B., Bernardy, M.G., Wu, Y.F., and Xiang, Y. (2015). "Molecular characterization of a prune dwarf virus isolate and construction of a PDV infectious cDNA clone.", Canadian Phytopathological Society (CPS) Meeting 2015, Edmonton, AB, Canada, July 25-29, 2015. (Poster)
- Xiang, Y. (2015). "Response from Yu Xiang to “Comment on The complete nucleotide sequence and genome organization of pea streak virus (genus Carlavirus)”.", Archives of Virology, 160(10), pp. 2659. doi : 10.1007/s00705-015-2596-7
- Xiang, Y., Bernardy, M.G., Bhagwat, B., DeYoung, R.M., Bouthillier, M.J., Su, L., and Sinotte, P. (2015). "Detection and characterization of viruses in strawberry plants showing decline symptoms from eastern Canada", American Phytopathological Society Annual Meeting, Pasadena Convention Center, Pasadena, CA, USA, August 1-5, 2015.
- Xiang, Y., Bernardy, M.G., Bhagwat, B., Su, L., Li, Z.N., Wiersma, P.A., You, F.M., and Sinotte, P. (2015). "Detection and characterization of viruses associated with sweet cherry mottle leaf diseases.", Canadian Phytopathological Society (CPS) Meeting 2015, Edmonton, AB, Canada, July 25-29, 2015. (Poster)
- Rott, M., Xiang, Y., Saeed, H., Belton, M., Clarke, E., and Aadum, B.B. (2013). "Characterization of tree fruit and grapevine viruses by next generation sequencing.", American Phytopathological Society (APS) and the Mycological Society of America (MSA) Joint Meeting 2013, Austin, TX, USA, August 10-14, 2013. (Poster)
- Bhagwat, B., Chi, M., Su, L., Tang, H., Tang, G., and Xiang, Y. (2012). "Expressional efficacy of artificial microRNA constructs in transgenic plants can be predicted by an in vivo transient expression system.", 8th Canadian Plant Biotechnology Conference, University of Guelph, Guelph, ON, Canada, May 14-17, 2012. (Poster)
- Chi, M., Bhagwat, B., Su, L., and Xiang, Y. (2012). "Analysis of expression of polyphenol oxidase gene family in potato (Solanum tuberosum L.) by quantitative PCR.", 8th Canadian Plant Biotechnology Conference, University of Guelph, Guelph, ON, Canada, May 14-17, 2012. (Presentation)
- Su, L., Bhagwat, B., Bernardy, M.G., Wiersma, P.A., Cheng, Z.H., and Xiang, Y. (2012). "Molecular identification of three new strains of Cherry mottle leaf virus from infected sweet cherry trees.", Canadian Phytopathological Society (CPS) British Columbia Regional 2012 Meeting, Vancouver, BC, Canada, October 25-26, 2012, published in Can. J. Plant Pathol. 35(1), pp. 95 (Abstract). (Presentation)
- Xiang, Y., Hao, X., Lu, Q., and Rochon, D. (2009). "Suppression of transgene silencing by Cucumber necrosis virus p20 requires the replicating viral genome.", 28th Annual Meeting of the American Society for Virology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada, July 11-15, 2009.
Report a problem on this page
- Date modified: