Wiersma, Paul, Ph.D.
4200 Highway 97
P.O. Box 5000
Summerland, British Columbia V0H 1Z0
Areas of Expertise:
- tree fruits
- gene expression analysis
- selection assisted by dna markers
- plant biotechnology
- growth regulators
- fruit development
- transgenic plants
- gene cloning
- Fruit quality traits as the result of gene expression during fruit development and ripening
- Bhagwat, B., Dickison, V., Su, L., Bernardy, M., Wiersma, P.A., Nie, X., Xiang, Y. (2016). Molecular Characterization of Divergent Strawberry Mild Yellow Edge Virus Isolates from Eastern Canada, 164(9), 691-696. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/jph.12444
- Su, L., Bhagwat, B., Bernardy, M., Wiersma, P.A., Cheng, Z., Xiang, Y. (2016). Molecular analysis of three new Cherry mottle leaf virus isolates reveals intra-species genetic diversity and inter-species gene transfer, 44(4), 571-574. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s12600-016-0548-8
- Su, L., Li, Z., Bernardy, M., Wiersma, P.A., Cheng, Z., Xiang, Y. (2015). The complete nucleotide sequence and genome organization of pea streak virus (genus Carlavirus), 160(10), 2651-2654. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00705-015-2467-2
- Chi, M., Bhagwat, B., Lane, W.D., Tang, G., Su, Y., Sun, R., Oomah, B.D., Wiersma, P.A., Xiang, Y. (2014). Reduced polyphenol oxidase gene expression and enzymatic browning in potato (Solanum tuberosum L.) with artificial microRNAs, 14(1), http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1471-2229-14-62
- Xiang, Y., Bernardy, M., Bhagwat, B., Wiersma, P.A., DeYoung, R., Bouthillier, M. (2014). The complete genome sequence of a new polerovirus in strawberry plants from eastern Canada showing strawberry decline symptoms, 160(2), 553-556. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00705-014-2267-0
- Toivonen, P.M., Wiersma, P.A., Hampson, C., Lannard, B. (2010). Effect of short-term air storage after removal from controlled-atmosphere storage on apple and fresh-cut apple quality, 90(4), 580-585. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.3851
- Toivonen, P.M.A., Hampson, C.R., Wiersma, P.A., Lannard, B.L., and Lu, C. (2010). "Quality of fresh-cut apple slices is modulated by short term post-controlled atmosphere air storage of whole fruit.", Acta Horticulturae (ISHS), 880, pp. 511-516.
Other science related publications
- Wiersma, P.A., Neilsen, D., and Sokal, N. (2016). "Transcriptomic Analysis of Sweet Cherry Floral Buds During the Development of Cold-Hardiness, Endodormancy and Bud Break.", XXIV Plant and Animal Genome Conference, San Diego, USA, January 9-13, 2016. (Poster)
- Xiang, Y., Bernardy, M.G., Bhagwat, B., Su, L., Li, Z.N., Wiersma, P.A., You, F.M., and Sinotte, P. (2015). "Detection and characterization of viruses associated with sweet cherry mottle leaf diseases.", Canadian Phytopathological Society (CPS) Meeting 2015, Edmonton, AB, Canada, July 25-29, 2015. (Poster)
- Su, L., Bhagwat, B., Bernardy, M.G., Wiersma, P.A., Cheng, Z.H., and Xiang, Y. (2012). "Molecular identification of three new strains of Cherry mottle leaf virus from infected sweet cherry trees.", Canadian Phytopathological Society (CPS) British Columbia Regional 2012 Meeting, Vancouver, BC, Canada, October 25-26, 2012, published in Can. J. Plant Pathol. 35(1), pp. 95 (Abstract). (Presentation)
- Toivonen, P.M.A., Mostofi, Y., Hampson, C.R., and Wiersma, P.A. (2012). "Evaluating the synchronicity of flesh and peel ripening in standard and new cultivars of apples.", Annual Conference of the American Society for Horticultural Science, Miami, Florida, USA, July 31-August 3, 2012. (Poster)
- Toivonen, P.M.A., Mostofi, Y., Hampson, C.R., and Wiersma, P.A. (2012). "Exciting New Technologies for Today.", Okanagan Fieldmens Association Horticultural Forum, Kelowna, BC, Canada, March 1, 2012.
- Toivonen, P.M.A., Mostofi, Y., Hampson, C.R., and Wiersma, P.A. (2012). "Storage Research With New Cultivars.", 10th Ontario Fruit and Vegetable Convention (OFVC 2012), Niagara Falls, ON, Canada, February 22-23, 2012.
- Toivonen, P.M.A., Mostofi, Y., Wiersma, P.A., and Hampson, C.R. (2012). Evaluation of Non-Destructive Instruments for Assessing Apple Maturity and Quality: 2011 Results., Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada (AAFC)/Agriculture et Agroalimentaire Canada (AAC). (Report)
- Hosseinian, F.S., Agil, R., Mazza, G., Oomah, B.D., Loarca-Piña, G.F., Reynoso-Camacho, R., Wiersma, P.A. (2010). "Alkylresorcinols in triticale bran has potential as new source of bioactive phenolics.", 2010 Canadian Institute of Food Science & Technology (CIFST) and AAFC Conference, Fairmont Winnipeg Hotel, Winnipeg, MB, Canada, May 30-June 1, 2010, # 03-5. (Abstract)
- Toivonen, P.M.A., Hampson, C.R., Wiersma, P.A., Lannard, B.L., and Lu, C. (2009). "Quality of Fresh-Cut Apple Slices is Modulated by Short Term Post-Controlled Atmosphere Air Storage of Whole Fruit.", 2009 Postharvest Pacifica - Pathway to Quality, Napier War Memorial Conference Centre, Napier, New Zealand, November 15-19, 2009.
Report a problem on this page
- Date modified: