Cliff, Margaret, Ph.D.
Summerland, British Columbia V0H 1Z0
Areas of Expertise:
- Sensory evaluation
- Taste research
- Wine research
- Wine quality
- Fruit & vegetable quality
- Statistical analysis
- Food quality
- Flavour research
- Using descriptive analysis and preference mapping for early-stage assessment of new apple cultivars
- Tracking the flavour and texture characteristics of Ambrosia apples from pre-harvest treatments
- Conducting consumer research to understand the acceptability of new cherry cultivars
- Documenting the variation of micro-oxygenated Merlot wines using phenolic, anthocyanin, colorimetric and sensory analyses
- Evaluating the sensory attributes of corn-roots and developing a suitable food formulation for a medical dietary supplement
- Profiling the sensory characteristics of BC wines from inoculated and spontaneous yeast fermentations
- Bejaei, M., Cliff, M.A., & Stanich, K. (2019, July). Development of predictive sensory models to screen textural attributes of new selections from an apple breeding program. 13th Pangborn Sensory Science Symposium, Edinburg, UK.
- Bejaei, M.; Cliff, M.A.; Madilao, L.L.; vanVuuren, H.J.J. Modelling Changes in Volatile Compounds in British Columbian Varietal Wines That Were Bottle Aged for Up to 120 Months. Beverages 2019, 5, 57.
- Cliff, M.A., Stanich, K., Toivonen, P.M.A. (2017). Evaluation of the sensory, physicochemical, and visual characteristics of a sweet cherry cultivar treated in a commercial orchard with a cherry cuticle supplement when a rainfall event does not occur, 27(3), 416-423. http://dx.doi.org/10.21273/HORTTECH03621-16
- Cliff, M.A., Toivonen, P.M.A. (2017). Sensory and quality characteristics of ‘Ambrosia’ apples in relation to harvest maturity for fruit stored up to eight months, 132 145-153. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.postharvbio.2017.05.015
- Fan, L. and Cliff, M.A. 2017. Carrot-juice milk yogurts: composition, microbiology and sensory acceptance. Chapter 12 pp 221-235. In: Yogurt in Health and Disease (Nagendra Shah, edt). Elsevier Inc.
- Cliff, M.A., Bejaei, M., King, M.C. and McArthur, D.A. J. 2016. Influence of wine education on wine hedonic and confidence ratings by millenial wine consumers of different ethnicities. Beverages 2(4), 32; doi:10.3390/beverages2040032
- Cliff, M.A., Law, J.R., Lücker, J., Scaman, C.H., Kermode, A.R. (2016). Descriptive and hedonic analyses of low-Phe food formulations containing corn (Zea mays) seedling roots: Toward development of a dietary supplement for individuals with phenylketonuria, 96(1), 140-149. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.7074
- Cliff, M.A., Stanich, K., Lu, R., Hampson, C.R. (2016). Use of descriptive analysis and preference mapping for early-stage assessment of new and established apples, 96(6), 2170-2183. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.7334
- Cheung, L.K.Y., Aluko, R.E., Cliff, M.A., Li-Chan, E.C.Y. (2015). Effects of exopeptidase treatment on antihypertensive activity and taste attributes of enzymatic whey protein hydrolysates, 13 262-275. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jff.2014.12.036
- Cliff, M.A., Stanich, K., Germain, B., Gregory, D., Usher, K. (2015). Tracking the variation of small-batch micro-oxygenated wines using phenolic, anthocyanin and colorimetric determinations, 26(4), 251-269. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09571264.2015.1083952
- Terrell, E., Cliff, M.A., Van Vuuren, H.J.J. (2015). Functional characterization of individual- and mixed-Burgundian Saccharomyces cerevisiae isolates for fermentation of pinot noir, 20(3), 5112-5136. http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/molecules20035112
- Cliff, M.A., Li, J.B., Stanich, K. (2014). Survey Reveals Urban Consumers' Attitudes and Beliefs Regarding the Use of Wax on Apples, 37(1), 29-41. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/jfq.12065
- Hampson, C.R., Stanich, K., McKenzie, D.L., Herbert, L., Lu, R., Li, J., Cliff, M.A. (2014). Determining the optimum firmness for sweet cherries using Just-About-Right sensory methodology, 91 104-111. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.postharvbio.2013.12.022
- Saberi, S., Cliff, M.A., van Vuuren, H.J.J. (2014). Comparison of Genetic and Enological Characteristics of New and Existing S. cerevisiae Strains for Chardonnay Wine Fermentations, 28(3), 195-215. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/08905436.2014.931863
- Stanich, K., Cliff, M.A., Hampson, C.R., Toivonen, P.M. (2014). Shelf-life and sensory assessments reveal the effects of storage treatments with 1-methylcyclopropene on new and established apples, 94(8), 1427-1439. http://dx.doi.org/10.4141/CJPS-2014-139
- Cliff, M.A., Fan, L., Sanford, K.A., Stanich, K., Doucette, C., and Raymond, N. (2013). "Descriptive analysis and early-stage consumer acceptance of yogurts fermented with carrot juice.", Journal of Dairy Science (JDS), 96(7), pp. 4160-4172. doi : 10.3168/jds.2012-6287
- Kozak, M., Cliff, M.A. (2013). Systematic comparison of hedonic ranking and rating methods demonstrates few practical differences, 78(8), http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/1750-3841.12173
- Cliff, M.A., Li, J.B., Toivonen, P.M.A., Ehret, D.L. (2012). Effects of nutrient solution electrical conductivity on the compositional and sensory characteristics of greenhouse tomato fruit, 74 132-140. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.postharvbio.2011.12.007
- Cliff, M.A., Stanich, K., Edwards, J.E., Saucier, C.T. (2012). Adding Grape Seed Extract to Wine Affects Astringency and Other Sensory Attributes, 35(4), 263-271. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4557.2012.00448.x
- Saberi, S., Cliff, M.A., van Vuuren, H.J.J. (2012). Impact of mixed S. cerevisiae strains on the production of volatiles and estimated sensory profiles of Chardonnay wines, 48(2), 725-735. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2012.06.012
- Cliff, M., Bansal, M., Stanich, K., Usher, K. (2011). Comparison of new and existing threshold methods for evaluating sulfur compounds in different base wines, 26(3), 184-196. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-459X.2011.00335.x
- Cliff, M., Stanich, K., Trujillo, J.M., Toivonen, P., Forney, C.F. (2011). Determination and prediction of odor thresholds for odor active volatiles in a neutral apple juice matrix, 34(3), 177-186. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4557.2011.00383.x
- Cliff, M.A., Toivonen, P.M.A., Forney, C.F., Liu, P., Lu, C. (2010). Quality of fresh-cut apple slices stored in solid and micro-perforated film packages having contrasting O<inf>2</inf> headspace atmospheres, 58(3), 254-261. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.postharvbio.2010.07.015
- Cliff, M., Lok, S., Lu, C., Toivonen, P.M.A. (2009). Effect of 1-methylcyclopropene on the sensory, visual, and analytical quality of greenhouse tomatoes, 53(1-2), 11-15. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.postharvbio.2009.02.003
- Cliff, M.A., King, M.C. (2009). Influence of serving temperature and wine type on perception of ethyl acetate and 4-ethyl phenol in wine, 20(1), 45-52. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09571260902978535
- Kappel, F., MacDonald, R.A., Cliff, M., Mckenzie, D.L. (2009). 13N0770 (Stardust<sup>TM</sup>) sweet cherry, 89(4), 713-716. http://dx.doi.org/10.4141/CJPS08186
Other science related publications
- Cliff, M.A., Stanich, K. and Singh, A. 2017. Degree-of-Liking by Children and Adults of New and Existing Commercial Sweet Cherry Cultivars that had been stored for approximately 8 weeks - A Confidential Project Report. AAFC Agri-Innovation Program 15 pp. Oct. 31 2017.
- Toivonen, P.M.A. and Cliff, M.A. 2017. Progress Report for Project ID number J-000379. P020-BCFGA- Canadian Tree Fruit Products Development - Activity 4: Update on Improving Ambrosia™ Apple Quality after Long Term Storage February 2017. AAFC Agri-Innovations Project Annual Activity Report, 16 pp.
- Bowen, P, Bogdanoff, C, Cliff, M, Usher, K, Stanich, K, Marsh, S, Estergaard, B, and Smith, S. 2016. Growing region and winery influences on the sensory quality of Merlot wines from the Okanagan and Similkameen valleys. BC Wine Grape Council Annual Conference Abstracts. http://www.bcwgc.org/members-area
- Bowen, P., Bogdanoff, C., Cliff, M. Usher, K., Stanich, K., and Marsh, S. 2016. Growing region and winery influences on the sensory quality of Merlot wines from the Okanagan and Similkameen valleys. 67th Am. Soc. Enol. Vitic. National Conference, Monterey, CA, June 27-30. Technical Abstracts page 78. Poster presentation. http://www.asev.org/abstract/growing-region-and-winery-influences-sensory-quality-merlot-wines-okanagan-and-similkameen
- Cliff, M.A., Stanich, K., and Toivonen, P.M.A. (2016 Confidential). Sensory profiling of Ambrosia apples from static low oxygen and dynamic controlled atmosphere storage followed by an air and/or air plus oxygen period – A confidential report. AAFC Agri-Innovation Program. 11 pp. August 9 2016. (Report)
- Stanich, K., Cliff, M.A., and Huang, E. (2016 Confidential). Consumer acceptance of the texture, flavour and appearance of four new apple cultivars (SPA 628, SPA 766, SPA 813, SPA 875): a confidential report. AAFC Agri-Innovation Program. January 2016. (Report)
- Stanich, K., Cliff, M.A., and Toivonen, P.M.A. (2016). Sensory profiling of Ambrosia apples produced using reflective row cover or foliar phosphorous spray at two orchards in the Similkameen Valley: A project report. AAFC Agri-Innovation Program. July 2016. (Report)
- Stanich, K. and Cliff, M.A. (2015 confidential). Consumer preference of new and commercial apples: a confidential project report. AAFC Agri-Innovation Program Jan 26, 2015. 6 pp. (Report)
- Stanich, K., Cliff, M.A., and Toivonen, P.M.A. (2015 Confidential). Evaluation of the sensory characteristics of sweet cherries treated with Parka+™: A confidential report. AAFC Agri-Innovation Program. December 2015. (Report)
- Stanich, K., Cliff, M.A., and Hampson, C.R. (2014 confidential). Degree-of-liking assessment of new and commercial cherry germplasm by industry stakeholders: a confidential project report. AAFC Agri-Innovation Program Nov 4, 2014.7 pp. (Report)
- Toivonen, P.M.A. and Cliff, M.A. (2014). Progress Report for Project ID number J-000379. P020-BCFGA- Canadian Tree Fruit Products Development - Activity 4: Update on Improving Ambrosia™ Apple Quality after Long Term Storage. AIP-ASP reporting: Okanagan Plant Improvement Company (PICO)/Scientist Meeting Agenda – March 26, 2014: PARC-Summerland. (Report)
- Cliff, M.A. (2013). "Does wine serving temperature really influence perception of wine quality? (AAFC Coastal Newsletter, Issue 1, May 2013)".
- Bowen, P.A., Bogdanoff, C.P., Usher, K.B., Estergaard, B.F., Cliff, M.A., and Stanich, K. (2012). "Irrigation frequency and rate effects on vine growth, leaf gas exchange, berry composition, and wine sensory quality in red winegrapes.", American Journal of Enology and Viticulture, 63(3), pp. 440A. (Abstract)
- Cliff, M.A., Li, J.B., and Stanich, K. (2012 Internal). Evaluating Consumers’ Awareness, Attitudes and Beliefs on Apple Waxing", Developing Innovative Agri-Products (DIAP) Program, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, Summerland, BC, Canada May 15, 2012. (Report)
- Cliff, M.A. and Stanich, K. (2011 Internal). Evaluating Consumers’ Awareness, Attitudes and Beliefs on Apple Waxing", Developing Innovative Agri-Products (DIAP) Program, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, Summerland, BC, Canada Dec 14, 2011. (Report)
- Cliff, M.A. (2010). "Exploring Urban Consumer Preferences for Apple Cultivars.", UBC Botanical Garden Apple Festival, Vancouver, BC, Canada, October 16-17, 2010.
- Forney, C.F., Cliff, M.A., Liu, P.Y., and Toivonen, P.M.A. (2010). "Influence of packaging on the flavor of fresh-cut apple slices.", United Fresh 2010, Sands MegaCenter, Las Vegas, NV, USA, April 20-23, 2010. (Poster)
- Forney, C.F., Song, J., Toivonen, P.M.A., Cliff, M.A., Lu, C., and Jordan, M.A. (2010). "Factors affecting the flavor of fresh-cut apples.", 107th Annual Conference of the American Society for Horticultural Science (ASHS) for Speciality Crops, Palm Desert, CA, USA, August 2-5, 2010, Published in: HortScience, 45(8), pp. S57. (Abstract)
Report a problem on this page
- Date modified: