Gaul, Sonia, Ph.D.
Research Scientist, Environmental Biology/Chemistry
32 Main St.
Kentville, Nova Scotia B4N 1J5
Areas of Expertise:
- human nutrition
- food safety-chemical
- pest resistance and pesticides
- environmental impact
- Integrated pest management in berry crops and orchard crops
- Identification of semiochemicals useful in management of selected insect pests in horticulture
- Management of stinging mirid insects in apple orchards
- Vegetative field management of insects in lowbush blueberry
- Identification of larvae in fruit using DNA diagnostics
- Interaction of chemicals in agroecosystems
- Investigation of endocrine disruptors in water in agroecosystems
- Investigation of resistance in insects using toxicology and molecular biology
- Integrated pest management of the rhagoletis mendax
- Assess adoption, efficacy & impact of BMPs & IPM
- Develop reduced risk technologies and BMPs for management of insect and mite pests of berry crops
- Vincent, C., Lemoyne, P., Gaul, S., Mackenzie, K. (2016). Factors limiting the northern distribution of the blueberry maggot, Rhagoletis mendax (Diptera: Tephritidae) in Eastern Canada, 113(1), 143-149. http://dx.doi.org/10.14411/eje.2016.018
- Renkema, J.M., Cutler, G.C., Gaul, S.O. (2014). Field type, trap type and field-edge characteristics affect Rhagoletis mendax captures in lowbush blueberries, 70(11), 1720-1727. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/ps.3714
- Vincent, C., Lemoyne, P., Gaul, S., Mackenzie, K. (2014). Extreme Cold Temperature to Kill Blueberry Maggot (Diptera: Tephritidae) in Reusable Containers, 107(3), 906-909. http://dx.doi.org/10.1603/EC13524
- Kelly, J.A., Avery, T.S., Stewart, D.T., Cutler, C.G., Gaul, S.O., MacKenzie, K.C., and Hillier, N.K. (2013). "Non-target Gelechiidae and Noctuidae attraction to Aroga trialbamaculella (Lepidoptera: Gelechiidae) pheromone-based trapping systems", Canadian Entomologist, 145(1), pp. 48-52. doi : 10.4039/tce.2012.95
- Russell, L.F., Sanford, K.A., Gaul, S.O., Haskett, J., Johnston, E.M., McRae, K.B., Stark, R. (2010). Effect of calcium salts on fortified apple juice, 112(7), 751-762. http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/00070701011058271
- Burgher-MacLellan, K.L., Gaul, S.O., MacKenzie, K.C., and Vincent, C. (2009). "The Use of Real-time PCR to Identify Blueberry Maggot (Diptera:Tephritidae, Rhagoletis mendax) from other Rhagoletis species and in Lowbush Blueberry Fruit (Vaccinium angustifolium).", Acta Horticulturae (ISHS), 810, pp. 265-274.
Other science related publications
- Gaul, S.O., Estabrooks, E.N., Vincent, C., and MacKenzie, K.C. (2011). "Predicted emergence of Rhagoletis mendax (Diptera: Tephritidae) in lowbush blueberry and presence in north western New Brunswick, Canada.", Entomological Society of Canada 61st and Acadian Entomological Society 71st joint Annual Meeting, Westin Nova Scotian Hotel, Halifax, NS, Canada, November 6-9, 2011. (Poster)
- Gaul, S.O., Fillmore, S.A.E., and MacKenzie, K.C. (2011). "A linear degree day model to predict Rhagoletis mendax emergence in Nova Scotia.", Wild Blueberry Producers Association of Nova Scotia Annual Meeting, Truro, Nova Scotia, Canada, November 18, 2011.
- Gaul, S.O., Vincent, C., and MacKenzie, K.C. (2011). "Influence of the bioassay and blueberry volatiles on Rhagoletis mendax (Diptera:Tephritidae) response.", Entomological Society of Canada 61st and Acadian Entomological Society 71st joint Annual Meeting, Westin Nova Scotian Hotel, Halifax, NS, Canada, November 6-9, 2011.
Report a problem on this page
- Date modified: