Abbasi, Pervaiz, Ph.D.
32 Main St
Kentville, Nova Scotia B4N 1J5
Areas of Expertise:
- Develop reduced-risk and biological-based management strategies for damping-off, root rots, and wilts of vegetable crops.
- Exploit biological control of soilborne diseases of vegetable crops
- Enhance disease control effect of organic amendments, bio-control agents, and reduced-risk chemicals.
- Evaluate reduced-risk strategies for managing foliar diseases of tomato and pepper
- Develop PCR-based detection system for pathogens and bio-control agents.
- Develop and evaluate microbial agents for biological control of plant pathogens
- Development of integrated and sustainable management strategies for soilborne and foliar diseases of vegetable crops
- Ding, X., Li, Y., Hernández-Sebastià, C., Abbasi, P.A., Fisher, P., Celletti, M., and Wang, A.M. (2016). "First Report of Strawberry crinivirus 4 on Strawberry in Canada.", Plant Disease, pp. 1-3. doi : 10.1094/PDIS-01-16-0009-PDN
- Abbasi, P.A. (2015). "Managing plant diseases with by-products of the fish processing industry.", in Sangeetha, G., Kurucheve, V. and Jayaraman, J. (eds.) - Natural Products for Sustainable Crop Disease Management, CABI Publishing, pp. 184-197.
- Abbasi, P.A., Khabbaz, S.E., Weselowski, B., Zhang, L. (2015). Occurrence of copper-resistant strains and a shift in Xanthomonas spp. causing tomato bacterial spot in Ontario, 61(10), 753-761. http://dx.doi.org/10.1139/cjm-2015-0228
- Abbasi, P.A., Khabbaz, S.E., and Zhang, L. (2015). "Bioformulations of novel indigenous rhizobacterial strains for managing soilborne pathogens.", in Arora, N.K., Mehnaz, S. and Balestrini, R. (eds.) - Bioformulations for Sustainable Agriculture, Springer.
- Abbasi, P.A., Weselowski, B. (2015). Efficacy of Bacillus subtilis QST 713 formulations, copper hydroxide, and their tank mixes on bacterial spot of tomato, 74 70-76. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cropro.2015.04.009
- Khabbaz, S.E., Zhang, L., Cáceres, L.A., Sumarah, M., Wang, A., Abbasi, P.A. (2015). Characterisation of antagonistic Bacillus and Pseudomonas strains for biocontrol potential and suppression of damping-off and root rot diseases, 166(3), 456-471. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/aab.12196
- Ma, X., Cui, H., Bernardy, M., Tian, L., Abbasi, P., Wang, A. (2015). Molecular characterization of a Strawberry mild yellow edge virus isolate from Canada, 37(3), 369-375. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/07060661.2015.1053990
- Yan, M., Wang, Q., Cao, Y., Guo, D., and Abbasi, P.A. (2015). "Bio-based and reduced-risk strategies for the management of Phytophthora blight and root rot of pepper.", in Arora, N.K., Mehnaz, S. and Balestrini, R. (eds.) - Bioformulations for Sustainable Agriculture, Springer.
- Zhang, L., Khabbaz, S.E., Wang, A., Li, H., Abbasi, P.A. (2015). Detection and characterization of broad-spectrum antipathogen activity of novel rhizobacterial isolates and suppression of Fusarium crown and root rot disease of tomato, 118(3), 685-703. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/jam.12728
- Abbasi, P.A., Weselowski, B. (2014). Influence of foliar sprays of Bacillus subtilis QST 713 on development of early blight disease and yield of field tomatoes in Ontario, 36(2), 170-178. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/07060661.2014.924027
- Borrego-Benjumea, A., Basallote-Ureba, M.J., Abbasi, P.A., Lazarovits, G., Melero-Vara, J.M. (2014). Effects of incubation temperature on the organic amendment-mediated control of Fusarium wilt of tomato, 164(3), 453-463. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/aab.12116
- Borrego-Benjumea, A., Basallote-Ureba, M.J., Melero-Vara, J.M., Abbasi, P.A. (2014). Characterization of Fusarium isolates from asparagus fields in southwestern Ontario and influence of soil organic amendments on Fusarium crown and root rot, 104(4), 403-415. http://dx.doi.org/10.1094/PHYTO-08-13-0231-R
- Khabbaz, S.E., Abbasi, P.A. (2014). Isolation, characterization, and formulation of antagonistic bacteria for the management of seedlings damping-off and root rot disease of cucumber, 60(1), 25-33. http://dx.doi.org/10.1139/cjm-2013-0675
- Abbasi, P.A. (2013). Establishing suppressive conditions against soilborne potato diseases with low rates of fish emulsion applied serially as a pre-plant soil amendment, 35(1), 10-19. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/07060661.2012.740076
- Xu, Z., Ali, Z., Hou, X., Li, H., Yi, J.X., Abbasi, P.A. (2013). Characterization of Chinese eggplant isolates of the fungal pathogen Verticillium dahliae from different geographic origins, 12(1), 183-195. http://dx.doi.org/10.4238/2013.January.24.11
- Abbasi, P.A., Lazarovits, G., Weselowski, B. (2011). Effectiveness of AG3 phosphonate formulation in suppressing phytophthora blight in cucumber and bell pepper plants under growth room conditions, 33(2), 150-158. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/07060661.2011.562245
- Abbasi, P.A., Lazarovits, G., Jabaji-Hare, S. (2009). Detection of high concentrations of organic acids in fish emulsion and their role in pathogen or disease suppression, 99(3), 274-281. http://dx.doi.org/10.1094/PHYTO-99-3-0274
- Abbasi, P.A., Lazarovits, G., Weselowski, B., Lalin, I. (2009). Organic acids in condensed distiller's solubles: Toxicity to soilborne plant pathogens and role in disease suppression, 31(1), 88-95. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/07060660909507576
Other science related publications
- Abbasi, P.A. and Bevis, E. (2015). "Investigating the causes of strawberry decline disease which is an emerging threat to strawberry production in North America.", XVIII International Plant Protection Congress (IPPC), Free University Berlin, Henry Ford Building, Berlin, Germany, August 24-27, 2015. (Abstract)
- Abbasi, P.A., Khabbaz, S.E., and Zhang, L. (2015). "Developing bioformulations of antagonistic strains of rhizobacteria for managing seedling damping-off, root rot, and tuber diseases caused by various soilborne pathogens.", XVIII International Plant Protection Congress (IPPC), Free University Berlin, Henry Ford Building, Berlin, Germany, August 24-27, 2015. (Abstract)
- Ding, X., Hernández-Sebastià, C., Abbasi, P.A., Celetti, M.J., Fisher, P., and Wang, A.M. (2015). "Occurrence, distribution and incidence of viruses infecting strawberry in Ontario.", 34th Annual Meeting of American Society for Virology, London, Ontario, Canada, July 11-15, 2015.
- Abbasi, P.A., Khabbaz, S.E., Zhang, L., and Weselowski, B. (2014). "Occurrence of copper-resistant strains of bacterial spot pathogen and presence of all four species of Xanthomonas in Ontario commercial tomato fields.", American Phytopathological Society (APS) and Canadian Phytopathological Society (CPS) Joint Meeting 2014, Hilton Minneapolis, Minneapolis, MN, USA, August 9-13, 2014, Phytopathology 104 (Suppl. 3): S3.1. (Abstract)
- Khabbaz, S.E., Zhang, L., Wang, A.M., and Abbasi, P.A. (2014). "Mechanisms of biological suppression of damping-off and root rot diseases of cucumber and radish with soil bacteria.", XVIth International Congress of Virology - International Union of Microbiological Societies (IUMS 2014), July 27 - August 1, 2014, Montréal, Québec, Canada.
- Zhang, L., Khabbaz, S.E., Wang, A.M., and Abbasi, P.A. (2014). "Broad-spectrum anti-pathogen activity of new isolates of Bacillus and Pseudomonas bacteria and their suppression of Fusarium crown and root rot disease of tomato.", XVIth International Congress of Virology - International Union of Microbiological Societies (IUMS 2014), July 27 - August 1, 2014, Montréal, Québec, Canada, July 27-August 1, 2014, BAM-PM 1126.
- Abbasi, P.A. (2013). "Strawberry decline syndrome: an emerging threat to strawberry production in Atlantic Canada.", Maritime Canadian Phytopathological Society regional meeting, Charlottetown, PEI, Canada, November 27, 2013, Can. J. Plant Pathol. 36: 282. (Abstract)
- Abbasi, P.A. (2009). "Role of organic acids from condensed distiller’s solubles in pathogen and disease suppression.", Canadian Journal of Plant Pathology, 31(4), pp. 475. (Abstract)
- Abbasi, P.A. and Highland, B. (2009). "Impact of foliar sprays of a commercial bio-fungicide Serenade Max on bacterial spot and early blight of field tomatoes and fruit yield.", Canadian Journal of Plant Pathology, 31(4), pp. 475-504. (Abstract)
- Abbasi, P.A. and Weselowski, B. (2009). "Suppression of Phytophthora blight of cucumber and bell pepper with AG3 phosphonate.", Phytopathology, 99(6, Suppl.), pp. S1. (Abstract)
- Lazarovits, G., Abbasi, P.A., Conn, K.L., Hill, J.E., and Hemmingsen, S.M. (2009). "Fish Emulsion and Liquid Swind Manure: Model Systems for Development of Organic Amendments as Fertilizers with Disease Suppressive Properties.", in Bettiol, W. and Morandi, M.A.B. (eds.) - Biocontrole de Doenças de Plantas: Uso e Perspectivas, Embapa Meio Ambiente, Jaguariúna, SP, Brazil, Chapter 4, pp. 49-68.
Report a problem on this page
- Date modified: