Danielescu, Serban, Ph. D.
850 Lincoln Road
Fredericton, New Brunswick E3B 4Z7
Areas of Expertise:
- groundwater contamination with nitrate
- groundwater modelling
- local and watershed scale water balances
- hydrology of riparian and coastal wetlands
- nutrient loading coastal areas
- systems ecology
- nitrate source-tracking using stable isotopes
- airborne thermal infrared radiometry (TIR) imagery
- Watershed-based assessment of the impacts of intensive potato production on nitrate levels on groundwater
- Mitigating nitrate contamination of vulnerable aquifers by agricultural production
- Impacts of soil conservation beneficial management practices on surface water and groundwater quality
- Robertson, W.D., Van Stempvoort, D.R., Roy, J.W., Brown, S.J., Spoelstra, J., Schiff, S.L., Rudolph, D.R., Danielescu, S., Graham, G. (2016). Use of an Artificial Sweetener to Identify Sources of Groundwater Nitrate Contamination, 54(4), 579-587. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/gwat.12399
- Zebarth, B.J., Danielescu, S., Nyiraneza, J., Ryan, M.C., Jiang, Y., Grimmett, M., Burton, D.L. (2015). Controls on nitrate loading and implications for BMPs under intensive potato production systems in prince edward island, Canada, 35(1), 30-42. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/gwmr.12088
- DesRoches, A., Danielescu, S., Butler, K. (2014). Structural controls on groundwater flow in a fractured bedrock aquifer underlying an agricultural region of northwestern New Brunswick, Canada, 22(5), 1067-1086. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10040-014-1134-0
- Li, Q., Qi, J., Xing, Z., Li, S., Jiang, Y., Danielescu, S., Zhu, H., Wei, X., Meng, F.R. (2014). An approach for assessing impact of land use and biophysical conditions across landscape on recharge rate and nitrogen loading of groundwater, 196 114-124. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.agee.2014.06.028
- Li, Q., Xing, Z., Danielescu, S., Li, S., Jiang, Y., Meng, F.R. (2014). Data requirements for using combined conductivity mass balance and recursive digital filter method to estimate groundwater recharge in a small watershed, New Brunswick, Canada, 511 658-664. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2014.01.073
- Roy, J.W. and Danielescu, S. (2014). "Comment on 'Assessing invertebrate assemblages in the subsurface zone of stream sediments (0-15 cm deep) using a hyporheic sampler' by Dole-Olivier et al.", Water Resources Research, 50(11), pp. 9120-9123. doi : 10.1002/2014WR015571
- Danielescu, S., MacQuarrie, K.T.B. (2011). Nitrogen loadings to two small estuaries, Prince Edward Island, Canada: A 2-year investigation of precipitation, surface water and groundwater contributions, 25(6), 945-957. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/hyp.7881
- Danielescu, S., MacQuarrie, K.T.B., and Faux, R.N. (2009). "The integration of thermal infrared imaging, discharge measurements and numerical simulation to quantify the relative contributions of freshwater inflows to small estuaries in Atlantic Canada.", Hydrological Processes, 23(20), pp. 2847-2859. doi : 10.1002/hyp.7383
Other science related publications
- Danielescu, S., Butler, K., Wang, S., Grimmett, M.G., MacQuarrie, K.T.B., and Zebarth, B.J. (2015). "Water and contaminant travel time through the unsaturated zone under an agricultural field in Prince Edward Island, Canada.", American Geophysical Union Annual Meeting, Montreal, QC, Canada, May 3-7, 2015.
- Danielescu, S., Van Stempvoort, D.R., Bickerton, G., and Roy, J.W. (2015). " Role of phreatophitic trees in capturing contaminated groundwater seepage from a former landfill site in Cataraqui Park, Kingston, Ontario (Canada).", FEFLOW 2015 International User Conference, Berlin, Germany, September 21-23, 2015.
- Grimmett, M.G., Nyiraneza, J., Rodd, A.V., Zebarth, B.J., and Danielescu, S. (2015). "Seasonal soil nitrate patterns under potato production in Prince Edward Island.", 14th International Symposium for Soil and Plant Analysis, Kona Beach, Hawaii, USA, January 26-30, 2015.
- Lamb, K., MacQuarrie, K.T.B., Butler, K., Danielescu, S., and Grimmett, M.G. (2015). "Investigation of Groundwater Flow and Nitrate Transport in the Shallow Vadose Zone Beneath a Potato Field.", 42nd International Association of Hydrogeologists (IAH) Congress, Rome, Italy, September 13-18, 2015.
- Robertson, W.D., Van Stempvoort, D.R., Roy, J.W., Brown, S.J., Spoelstra, J., Schiff, S.L., Rudolph, D.R., Danielescu, S., and Graham, G. (2015). "Use of an Artificial Sweetener to Identify Sources of Groundwater Nitrate Contamination.", 42nd International Association of Hydrogeologists (IAH) Congress, Rome, Italy, September 13-18, 2015.
- Wang, S., Butler, K., Danielescu, S., Petersen, B., Mott, E., and Grimmett, M.G. (2015). "Cross-hole Electrical Resistivity Imaging to Study Water and Nitrate Infiltration Processes at Harrington Research Farm, PEI, Canada.", Atlantic Geoscience Society (AGS) Colloquium, Sackville, New Brunswick, Canada, January 30-31, 2015.
- Danielescu, S. (2014). "Groundwater quality in rural areas of the Maritimes: A joint research program of AAFC and EC.", 3rd Atlantic Canada W.A.T.E.R. Symposium and Forum, Truro, Nova Scotia, Canada.
- Danielescu, S., Grimmett, M.G., Rodd, A.V., Lamb, K., MacQuarrie, K.T.B., Zebarth, B.J., and Butler, K. (2014). "Evidence of transient perched water table conditions and possible implications for groundwater recharge and nitrate loading in Prince Edward Island.", Canadian Geophysical Union Joint Annual Meeting with Canadian Society of Soil Science, Banff, Alberta, Canada, May 4-7, 2014. (Poster)
- Danielescu, S., Grimmett, M.G., Rodd, A.V., Nyiraneza, J., and Zebarth, B.J. (2014). "Groundwater recharge and nitrate loading from a field under a conventional potato production system in PEI.", Canada Water Resources Association (CWRA) 2014 Congress, Hamilton, ON, Canada, June 2-4, 2014, Presentation.
- Grimmett, M.G., Rodd, A.V., Nyiraneza, J., Zebarth, B.J., and Danielescu, S. (2013). "Nutrient analysis of groundwater and soil water from potato production systems.", 127th Association of Official Agricultural Chemists (AOAC) Annual Meeting, Palmer House Hilton, Chicago, IL, USA, August 25-28, 2013.
- Malenica, A., Parker, B., Chapman, S., Cherry, J., Ryan, M.C., Jiang, Y., Grimmett, M.G., and Danielescu, S. (2013). "Detailed Field Investigations of Nitrate Origin, Fate and Transport in the Sedimentary Bedrock Aquifer in Prince Edward Island.", Connecting Water Resources (CWR): Changing the Water Paradigm, Ottawa, ON, Canada, March 18-21, 2013.
- Danielescu, S., Chow, T.L., and Li, S. (2012). "Comparison of digital filtering methods for hydrograph separation in a small stream in Atlantic Canada.", CWRA-CGU National Conference: Earth, Wind and Water – Elements of Life, Banff Centre, Banff, AB, Canada, June 5-8, 2012.
- Li, Q., Qi, J., Hesch, W., Meng, F., Danielescu, S., and Li, S. (2012). "Assessment of Impact of Potato Production on Groundwater Quality.", 39th IAH Congress, Niagara Falls, ON, Canada, September 16-21, 2012.
- Grimmett, M.G., Zebarth, B.J., Danielescu, S., and Burton, D.L. (2010). "Measurement of nitrate leaching from a potato production system using groundwater wells and capillary wick samplers.", 5th Canadian Society of Agronomy (CSA) Atlantic Workshop: Climate Change and Crop Health, Rodd Charlottetown Hotel, Charlottetown, PEI, Canada, January 19-20, 2010.
- Danielescu, S. and MacQuarrie, K.T.B. (2009). "Nitrate loads delivered by streams and groundwater to two estuaries in Prince Edward Island.", American Geophysical Union (AGU) 2009 Joint Assembly The Meeting of the Americas, Toronto, ON, Canada, May 24-27, 2009.
- Danielescu, S., MacQuarrie, K.T.B., and Faux, R.N. (2009). "Quantification of groundwater discharge to two small estuaries in Prince Edward Island.", GeoHalifax 2009, 62nd Canadian Geotechnical Conference & 10th Joint CGS/IAH-CNC Groundwater Conference, Halifax, NS, Canada, September 20-24, 2009.
Report a problem on this page
- Date modified: