Noronha, Christine, Ph.D.
440 University Avenue
PO Box 1210
Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island C1A 7M8
Areas of Expertise:
- control- pest resistance to pesticides
- coleoptera-chrysomelidae- colorado potato beetle
- homoptera - aphididae- myzus persicae
- control- biological- beauveria bassiana
- control- chemical- interaction
- control- integrated pest management
- macrosiphum euphorbiae
- control- cultural
- Provide information on the biology and ecology of insect and mite pests an their natural enemies.
- Provide information on the morphology, physiology, pathology and response to pesticides of insects and mite pests, and their natural enemies and non-target organisms.
- Provide information on the relationship between insect and mite pests, their natural enemies and non-target organisms with their natural or modified habitat.
- To develop best management practices for insect and mite pests of field crops through an integration of environmentally responsible and reduced-risk control strategies (Activity 500965) and pest monitoring (Activity 500966 ).
- To develop insect and mite control technologies for field crop ecosystems that are environmentally responsible, sustainable and reduced-risk.
- To develop insect and mite monitoring methods and economic thresholds for field crop ecosystems
- Kabaluk, J.T., Janmaat, A., Sheedy, C., Goettel, M.S., and Noronha, C. (2013). "Agriotes spp. Wireworms and Click Beetles.", in Mason, P.G. and Gillespie, D.R. (eds.) - Biological Control Programmes in Canada 2001-2012, CABI Publishing.
- Carter, M.R., Noronha, C., Peters, R.D., Kimpinski, J. (2009). Influence of conservation tillage and crop rotation on the resilience of an intensive long-term potato cropping system: Restoration of soil biological properties after the potato phase, 133(1-2), 32-39. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.agee.2009.04.017
- Carter, M.R., Peters, R.D., Noronha, C., Kimpinski, J. (2009). Influence of 10 years of conservation tillage on some biological properties of a fine sandy loam in the potato phase of two crop rotations in Atlantic Canada, 89(4), 391-402. http://dx.doi.org/10.4141/CJSS08054
- Noronha, C. and Goettel, M.S. (2009). "Differential Susceptibility between Diapausing and Non-Diapausing Colorado Potato Beetles (Leptinotarsa decemlineata) Treated with Beauveria bassiana.", Fruit, Vegetable and Cereal Science and Biotechnology, 3(Spec. Issue 1), pp. 55-58.
- Noronha, C. and Goettel, M.S. (2009). "The Effect of Digging by the Colorado Potato Beetle (Leptinotarsa decemlineata) (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae) on the Acquisition and Retention of Beauveria bassiana Conidia.", Fruit, Vegetable and Cereal Science and Biotechnology, 3(Spec. Issue 1), pp. 59-64.
Other science related publications
- DB McKenzie, PL Dixon, C. Noronha and KN Hobrecker. 2017. Buckwheat (Fagopyrum esculentum Moench.) seeding date and cultivar response to Newfoundland growing conditions. Annual Meeting, the Canadian Phytopathological Society, 2017/ Réunion annuelle, la Société Canadienne de Phytopathologie, 2017, Canadian Journal of Plant Pathology, 39:4, 540-586, DOI: 10.1080/07060661.2017.1386378 https://doi.org/10.1080/07060661.2017.1386378
- Kabaluk, J.T., Ruau, S., and Noronha, C. (2015 internal). Infection Parameters of Met52 Targeting Click Beetles (Agriotes obscurus) and the Effect of Seasonal Temperatures on Disease Development in A. obscurus, A. lineatus, and A. sputator. (Report)
- Mills, A.A.S., Breune, I., Noronha, C., Nyiraneza, J., Parent, G., and Rodd, A.V. (2015). "Intercropping grains, oilseeds and row crops with forage species to enhance cropping system sustainability.", 5th International Symposium for Farming Systems Design, Montpellier, France, September 7-10, 2015.
- Robbins, N., Jiang, Y., Nyiraneza, J., van den Heuvel, M., Mills, A.A.S., and Noronha, C. (2015). "The effects of buckwheat as a potato rotation crop on soil and water quality.", Canadian Soil Science Society (IUSS-CSSS-AQSSS) Conference, McGill University, Montreal, QC, Canada, July 5-10, 2015.
- Henry, R., Main, D., Rodd, A.V., Mills, A., Nyiraneza, Peters, R., Noronha, C., Grimmett, M., and Fillmore, S.A.E. 2016. Organic Research at the Charlottetown Research and Development Centre. Atlantic Regional Organic Research Network (ACORN)- Seeds of Change Tour. Harrington Research Farm. December 1st.
- McKenzie, D.B., Bishop, G.A., Dixon, P.L., and Noronha, C. (2014). "No thanks, I’ll pass on the wireworms in my potatoes.", 56th Annual Farm Field Day, St. John’s, NL, Canada, August 9, 2014, Presentation. (Poster)
- McKenzie, D.B., Bishop, G.A., Dixon, P.L., and Noronha, C. (2014). "Non merci, je ne veux pas de larves de doryphores sur mes patates!", 56th Annual Farm Field Day, St. John’s, NL, Canada, August 9, 2014, Presentation. (Poster)
- Noronha, C. (2012). "Management of wireworms in potatoes.", Entomological Society of America (ESA) 60th Annual Meeting, Knoxville Convention Centre, Knoxville, TN, USA, November 11-14, 2012, #1135.
- Noronha, C. (2012). "Wireworm research update.", PEI Horticulture Association Annual Meeting, Charlottetown, PEI, Canada, April 3, 2012.
- Vernon, R.S., Kabaluk, J.T., Mikitzel, L.J., and Noronha, C. (2010). "Reduced-risk Wireworm Management in Potato.", published by Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada (AAFC)/Agriculture et Agroalimentaire Canada (AAC), Pesticide Risk Reduction Program/Programme de réduction des risques liés aux pesticides, pp. 1-4. (Technology transfer)
- Vernon, R.S., van Herk, W.G., Tolman, J.H., and Noronha, C. (2010). "Wireworms in Canada: Challenges, surveys, and new control options.", Saskatchewan Green Trades Conference, Saskatoon, SK,, Canada, November 12, 2010. (Presentation)
- Vernon, R.S., van Herk, W.G., Tolman, J.H., and Noronha, C. (2010). "Wireworms in Canada: Life history and biology, species distribution, surveys, damage, toxicology, and what to expect with new insecticides.", Manitoba Potato Producer Days, Brandon, MB, Canada, January 27, 2010. (Presentation)
Report a problem on this page
- Date modified: