Kroebel, Roland, Ph.D.
5403 - 1 Avenue South
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
Lethbridge, Alberta T1J4B1
Areas of Expertise:
- Ecosystem modeling in agriculture
- Climate change
- Greenhouse gas emissions
- N cycling
- An ecological approach, based on carbon flows within the model HOLOS, for understanding responses of Canadian farms to prospective management practices and global changes
- Agri-environmental indicators on farm level - ammonia volatilization
- J. Guyader, H. H. Janzen, R. Kroebel, K. A. Beauchemin, Forage use to improve environmental sustainability of ruminant production, Journal of Animal Science, Volume 94, Issue 8, August 2016, Pages 3147–3158, https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2015-0141
- Kröbel, R., Bolinder, M.A., Janzen, H.H., Little, S.M., VandenBygaart, A.J., and Kätterer, T. (2016). "Canadian farm-level soil carbon change assessment by merging the greenhouse gas model Holos with the Introductory Carbon Balance Model (ICBM).", Agricultural Systems, 143, pp. 76-85. doi : 10.1016/j.agsy.2015.12.010
- Singh, B., Ryan, J.J., Campbell, C.A., and Kröbel, R. (2015). "Nutrient Management and Water Use Efficiency for Sustainable Production of Rainfed Crops in the World’s Dry Areas.", in Drechsel, P., Heffer, P., Magen, H., Mikkelsen, R., Wichelns, D. (eds.) - Managing Water and Fertilizer for Sustainable Agricultural Intensification, First edition.
- Grant, B.B., Smith, W.N., Campbell, C.A., Desjardins, R.L., Lemke, R.L., Kröbel, R., McConkey, B.G., and Smith, E.G. (2014). "Comparison of DayCent and DNDC models: Case studies using data from long-term experiments on the Canadian prairies.", in Del Grosso, S., Parton, B., Lajpat, A. (eds.) - Advances in Modeling Agricultural Systems: Trans-disciplinary Research, Synthesize, Modeling, and Applications, Volume 5, ASA, CSSA, and SSSA, Madison, WI, USA.
- Sun, Q.P., Kröbel, R., Müller, T., Römheld, V., Cui, Z.L., Zhang, F.S., and Chen, X.P. (2011). "Optimisation of yield and water-use of different cropping systems for sustainable groundwater use in North China Plain.", Agricultural Water Management, 98(5), pp. 808-814. doi : 10.1016/j.agwat.2010.12.007
- Kröbel, R., Sun, Q.P., Ingwersen, J., Chen, X.P., Zhang, F.S., Müller, T., and Römheld, V. (2010). "Modelling water dynamics with DNDC and DAISY in a soil of the North China Plain: A comparative study.", Environmental Modelling and Software, 25(4), pp. 583-601. doi : 10.1016/j.envsoft.2009.09.003
Other science related publications
- Bittman, S., Hunt, D., Koenig, K., Duynisveld, J., Mckenzie, D., Kroebel, R., and Haak, D. "Semi-Virtual Model Farmlets to Study Nutrients in Livestock Farms: Proposed Dairy System Case Study. 2016. ASA-CSSA-SSSA International Annual Meeting 2016-Phoenix, AZ, Nov. 6-9.
- Alemu, A.W., Little, S.M., Hao, X., Iwaasa, A.D., Baron, V.S., Chai, L.L., Janzen, H.H., Beauchemin, K.A., Thompson, D., and Kröbel, R. (2015). "Application of life cycle assessment approach to beef production systems in the Canadian prairies with regard to environmental impact and energy use efficiency.", LCA Conference XV - A bright green future, Vancouver, Canada, October 6-8, 2015, Presentation.
- Chai, L.L., Kröbel, R., Beauchemin, K.A., Macdonald, D.J., Janzen, H.H., McGinn, S.M., and Bittman, S. (2015). "Greenhouse gases and ammonia emissions from grazing beef cattle in Alberta and Ontario Canada.", Canadian Society for Bioengineering Conference/CSBE/SCGAB 2015 Annual Conference, Edmonton, AB, Canada, July 5-8, 2015, Presentation.
- Chai, L.L., Kröbel, R., MacDonald, D., Bittman, S., Janzen, H.H., Beauchemin, K.A., McGinn, S.M., Little, S.M., and Martel, M. (2015). "Ammonia and nitrous oxide emission factors of land applied cattle manure in Alberta and Ontario", Conference of Soil Interfaces for Sustainable Development, Montreal, Quebec, Canada. (Abstract)
- Chai, L.L., Kröbel, R., Macdonald, D.J., Bittman, S., Beauchemin, K.A., Janzen, H.H., and McGinn, S.M. (2015). "Developing nitrogen loss fractions for beef and dairy cattle manure storage systems in Canadian ecoregions: a comparison between West and East.", Canadian Society for Bioengineering Conference/CSBE/SCGAB 2015 Annual Conference, Edmonton, AB, Canada, July 5-8, 2015.
- Congreves, K.A., Grant, B.B., Campbell, C., Smith, W.N., Worth, D.E., Vandenberg, A., Kröbel, R., Lemke, R.L., and Desjardins, R.L. (2015). "Measuring and modelling the long-term impact of crop management on soil C sequestration in the semi-arid Canadian prairies.", Canadian Soil Science Society (IUSS-CSSS-AQSSS) Conference, McGill University, Montreal, QC, Canada, July 5-10, 2015. (Poster)
- Kröbel, R., Janzen, H.H., Ellert, B.H., Beauchemin, K.A., and McAllister, T.A. (2015). "Agriculture is neither the culprit nor the solution to Climate Change.", “Our Common Future under Climate Change” Conference, Paris, France, July 7-10, 2015. (Poster)
- Kröbel, R., Li, S., Little, S.M., Vanin, C., and Janzen, H.H. (2015). "Calculating greenhouse gases from the Black-Brook watershed, New Brunswick, using the Holos model.", Conference “On Sustainability 2015”, Copenhagen, Denmark.
- Little, S.M., Beauchemin, K.A., Benchaar, C., Chai, L.L., Janzen, H.H., Kröbel, R., McGeough, E.J., and VanderZaag, A.C. (2015). "Demonstrating the effect of diet on the carbon footprint of a Canadian dairy scenario using whole-systems analysis and the Holos model: corn silage vs. alfalfa silage.", LCA Conference XV - A bright green future, Vancouver, Canada, October 6-8, 2015, Presentation.
- Martel, M., Kröbel, R., Hrapovic, L., Janzen, H.H., McConkey, B.G., Glenn, A.J., and Wilson, H.F. (2015). "A Canadian water budget model for water footprint assessment of crop production.", Canadian Soil Science Society (IUSS-CSSS-AQSSS) Conference, Montreal, QC, Canada, July 5-10, 2015. (Poster)
- Desjardins, R.L., Worth, D.E., Vergé, X.P.C., VanderZaag, A.C., Kröbel, R., Janzen, H.H., Maxime, D., and Dyer, J.A. (2014). "The carbon footprint of agricultural products: A measure of the impact of agricultural production on climate change.", International Conference on Promoting Weather and Climate Information for Agriculture and Food Security, Antalya, Turkey, April 7-9, 2014.
- Hazendonk, P., Brown, M., Byrne, J.M., Harrison, T., Mueller, R., Peacock, K., Usher, J., Yalamova, R., Kröbel, R., Larsen, J., and McNaughton, R. (2014). "Regional Renewable Energy Cooperatives.", American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting 2014, December 2014, Presentation. (Abstract)
- Iwaasa, A.D., Baron, V.S., Lemke, R.L., Wang, H., Kröbel, R., Schellenberg, M.P., and McConkey, B.G. (2014). "AGGP Cropping System-Grassland Research and Extension: Semiarid Ecoregion.", AGGP cropping system – grassland research and extension: Semiarid Ecoregion, AAFC-Saskatoon, Saskatoon, Canada, March 20, 2014.
- Chai, L.L., Kröbel, R., Janzen, H.H., Beauchemin, K.A., McGinn, S.M., Bittman, S., Atia, A., and Edeogu, I. (2013). "A mass balance model based on total ammoniacal nitrogen for estimating ammonia volatilization from beef cattle manure management in Alberta in Canada.", ASABE Annual International Meeting, Kansas City, MO, USA, July 21-24, 2013, paper #:1596572.
- Kröbel, R., Janzen, H.H., Little, S.M., and Li, S. (2013). "Preliminary Holos model assessment of GHG emissions from crop production in the Black-Brook watershed, NB, during the years 1988 – 1997.", CSSS/MSSS/CSAFM 2013 Annual Meeting, Winnipeg, MB., Canada, June 22-25, 2013.
- Little, S.M., Beauchemin, K.A., Janzen, H.H., Kröbel, R., and Maclean, K. (2013). "Holos - Methodology & Algorithms for Version 2.0.", AAFC Lethbridge, Lethbridge, AB, March 21, 2013. (Presentation)
- Kröbel, R. (2012). "HOLOS – a GHG calculator growing up.", 50th Annual Alberta Soil Science Workshop, Lethbridge, AB, Canada, February 19-21, 2013. (Presentation)
- Kröbel, R. (2012). "HOLOS – current projects and development visions.", NJF Seminar 453 Agriculture and greenhouse gases, Oslo, Norway, November 5-6, 2012. (Presentation)
- Sansoulet, J.B., Pattey, E., Jégo, G., Kröbel, R., Grant, B.B., Smith, W.N., Tremblay, N., and Tremblay, G.F. (2012). "Comparing STICS, DNDC and DAYCENT model simulations to assess the impacts of fertilization and climate variations on N uptake and biomass production from spring wheat in Eastern Canada.", IXe Séminaire du modèle de culture STICS, Sainte-Montaine, France, October 16-19, 2012.
- Kröbel, R., Lemke, R.L., Campbell, C.A., Zentner, R.P., and Brandt, K. (2011). "Nitrogen and Phosphorus effect on water use- and nutrient use- efficiency in the Canadian semi-arid prairie.", Soils and Crops Workshop 2011, Prairieland Park, Saskatoon, SK, Canada, March 15-16, 2011, [CD-ROM]. (Workshop)
- Smith, W.N., Grant, B.B., Campbell, C.A., McConkey, B.G., Desjardins, R.L., Kröbel, R., and Malhi, S.S. (2011). "Analysis and inter-model comparisons of crop residue removal effects on soil carbon.", 2011 ASA-CSSA-SSSA International Annual Meeting: Fundamental for life: soil, crop and environmental sciences, San Antonio, TX, USA, October 16-19, 2011. (Poster)
Report a problem on this page
- Date modified: