Meadus, Jon, Ph.D.
Research Scientist, Molecular Genetics
6000 C and E Trail
Lacombe, Alberta T4L 1W1
Areas of Expertise:
- molecular genetics & biotechnology
- genetic markers for meat quality
- endocrinology of livestock
- food safety testing using DNA markers
- Application of genetic markers for quality, traceability and breed identification in livestock
- Monitoring Mycobacterium paratuberculosis (Johne's) in the food processing chain and farm environment.
- The effect of DHA omega-3 fatty acids on pig endocrinology and pork quality
- Canadian Meat Science Association (CMSA)
- Canadian Center for Swine Identification (CCSI)
- International Association for Food Protection (IAFP)
- Canadian Society of Animal Science (CSAS)
- Meadus WJ, Vahmani P, Duff P, Zantinge JL, Turner TD, and Dugan M.E.R. Oxidation and apoptosis are induced by CLA-t10c12 similar to DHA in 3T3 adipocyte cells. Functional Food in Health and Disease 2017: 7(2): 149-167
- Vahmani, P., Meadus, W.J., Duff, P., Rolland, D.C. and Dugan, M.E.R. 2017 Bioactivity assessment of novel non-conjugated non-methylene interrupted dienoic acids isolated from beef fat. AOCS, April, Orlando.
- Functional foods in Health and Disease 2017. vol 7(2).page 149-167
- Turner, T.D., Meadus, W.J., Mapiye, C., Vahmani, P., López-Campos, Ó., Duff, P., Rolland, D.C., Church, J.S., and Dugan, M.E.R (2015). "Isolation of α–linolenic acid biohydrogenation products by combined silver ion solid phase extraction and semi-preparative high performance liquid chromatography.", Journal of Chromatography B, 980, pp. 34-40. doi : 10.1016/j.jchromb.2014.11.038
- Meadus, W.J., Duff, P., McDonal, T., and Caine, W.R. (2014). "Pigs fed Camelina meal increase hepatic gene expression of cytochrome 8b1, aldehyde dehydrogenase, and thiosulfate transferase.", Journal of Animal Science and Biotechnology, 5(1: Article 1), pp. 1-15. doi : 10.1186/2049-1891-5-1
- Mir, P.S., He, M.L., Travis, G.R., Entz, T., McAllister, T.A., Marchand, S., Schaefer, A.L., Meadus, W.J., Lepage, P., Okine, E.K., and Dodson, M.V. (2012). "Periodic 48h feed withdrawal improves glucose tolerance in growing pigs by enhancing adipogenesis and lipogenesis.", Nutrition & Metabolism, 9, pp. 10-22. doi : 10.1186/1743-7075-9-10
- Gill, C.O., Saucier, L., and Meadus, W.J. (2011). "Mycobacterium avium subsp. paratuberculosis in Dairy Products, Meat, and Drinking Water.", Journal of Food Protection, 74(3), pp. 480-499. doi : 10.4315/0362-028X.JFP-10-301
Other science related publications
- Vahmani, P., Meadus, W.J., Mapiye, C., Duff, P., Rolland, D.C., and Dugan, M.E.R (2015). "Delta-9 Desaturation Rate of Individual Trans 18:1 Isomers in 3T3-L1 Cells depends on the Location of Trans Double Bond.", Eurofed Lipid, Florence, Italy, September, 2015. (Abstract)
- Vahmani, P., Meadus, W.J., Mapiye, C., Pachio, M., Duff, P., Rolland, D.C., and Dugan, M.E.R (2015). "Effects of trans 18:1 from conventional versus flax/hay fed cattle on transcriptional networks (gloval gene expression) in HepG2 cells.", International Conference on Lipid Science & Technology, San Francisco, USA, November 30-December 02, 2015. (Abstract)
- Vahmani, P., Meadus, W.J., Uttaro, B., López-Campos, Ó., Mapiye, C., Rolland, D.C., Caine, W.R., Aalhus, J.L., and Dugan, M.E.R (2015). "Effects of feeding beef fat from different body locations, and with different enrichments of biohydrogenation products on barrow performance, meat quality and body composition.", Banff Pork Seminar, Banff, Canada, January, 2015. (Presentation)
- Vahmani, P., Turner, T.D., Duff, P., Rolland, D.C., Mapiye, C., Meadus, W.J., and Dugan, M.E.R (2014). "Individual trans monounsaturated fatty acids have distinct effects on lipogenesis in 3T3-L1 adipocytes.", ADSA-ASAS 2014 Joint Annual Meeting, Kansas City, MO, USA, July 20-24, 2014. (Abstract)
- Meadus, W.J., Turner, T.D., Dugan, M.E.R, Aalhus, J.L., Duff, P., Rolland, D., Uttaro, B., and Gibson, L.L. (2013). "Injection of pork loins with the long chain fatty acid, docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and its effect on flavour.", 59th International Congress of Meat Science and Technology (ICoMST2013), Izmir, Turkey, August 18-23, 2013.
- Turner, T.D., Meadus, W.J., Duff, P., Rolland, D.C., Mapiye, C., Church, J., and Dugan, M.E.R (2013). "Effects of c9,t11- and t10,c12- conjugated linoleic acid on 3T3-L1 adipose cell culture: novel fatty acid metabolites and lipogenic gene expression.", International Conference on Animal Dairy Science, Las Vegas, USA, July 2013.
- Turner, T.D., Meadus, W.J., Duff, P., Rolland, D.C., Mapiye, C., Church, J., and Dugan, M.E.R (2013). "Metabolism of c9,t11- and t10,c12- CLA in 3T3-L1 adipose cell culture: novel metabolites.", ASAS/ASN Joint Innovate 2013 Meeting, Braselton, GA, USA, September 2013.
- Bing, D.-J., Meadus, W.J., and Xi, K. (2012 Internal). Breeding for powdery mildew resistant marrowfat pea varieties and pyramiding powdery mildew resistance into elite pea varieties. Project Number: 2011F152R. Annual report to ACIDF. (Report)
- Meadus, W.J., Duff, P., McDonald, T., and Caine, W.R. (2012). "Pigs fed camelina meal increases liver CYP8B1 expression.", ADSA-AMPA-ASAS-CSAS-WSASAS 2012 Joint Annual Meeting, Hyatt Regency, Phoenix, AZ, USA, July 15-19, 2012, #W208. (Poster)
- Meadus, W.J., Dugan, M.E.R, Aalhus, J.L., Duff, P., and Rolland, D. (2012). "Fortification of pork chops with omega-3 oil derived from microalgae Schizochytrium.", BIT's 1st Annual International Congress of Marine Algae (AICMA2012), Dalian, China, September 20-23, 2012.
- Xi, K., Zantinge, J.L., Meadus, W.J., Nyachiro, J.M., and Turkington, T.K. (2012). "Barley cultivar resistance in relation to Rynchosporium secalis virulence in Alberta.", 7th Canadian Barley Symposium, Calgary, AB, Canada, July 8-10, 2012.
- Xi, K., Zantinge, J.L., Meadus, W.J., and Nyachiro, J.M. (2012). "Determining Rynchosporium secalis virulence in relation to barley culitvar resistance and identifying related pathogen DNA sequences.", 11th International Barley Genetics Symposium (IBGS), Hangzhou, China, April 15-20, 2012.
- Meadus, W.J. (2011). "DHA Reduces Triglycerides and Stimulates Fat Metabolism in Pigs.", 60th Annual Meeting of the CSAS/SCSA, Atlantica Hotel, Halifax, NS, Canada, May 4-5, 2011. (Presentation)
- Meadus, W.J., Dugan, M.E.R, Uttaro, B., Aalhus, J.L., Rolland, D., and Duff, P. (2011). "Feeding Docosahexaenoic acid in microalgae biomass to pigs reduces triglycerides and induces fat oxidation in liver, adipose and muscle.", 60th Annual Meeting of the Canadian Society of Animal Science (CSAS), Atlantica Hotel, Halifax, NS, Canada, May 4-5, 2011. (Poster)
- Meadus, W.J., Chau, W., Aslam, M., and Bing, D.-J. (2010). "Identifying cultivated pea varieties using a rapid DNA test for the retro-transposon genes Ogre and Cyclops.", 5th International Food Legumes Research Conference (IFLRC V) and 7th European Conference on Grain Legumes (AEP VII), Antalya, Turkey, April 26-30, 2010.
- Meadus, W.J., Dugan, M.E.R, Aalhus, J.L., Uttaro, B., and Duff, P. (2010). "The effect of feeding omega-3 DHA on liver, muscle and fat tissue gene expression.", 90th Annual Conference of the Canadian Meat Council, Fairmont Empress Victoria Conference Centre, Victoria, BC, Canada, May 5-7, 2010.
- Meadus, W.J., Uttaro, B., Dugan, M.E.R, Aalhus, J.L., Duff, P., Rolland, D.C., and Gibson, L.L. (2009). "Enrichment of pork products with DHA omega-3 lipids.", 38th Banff Pork Seminar: Bringing Back Profitability, Banff, AB, Canada, January 20-23, 2009. (Abstract)
Report a problem on this page
- Date modified: