Helping Canadian farmers during uncertain times
Is COVID-19 making you question the right time to sell your products? Farming can be unpredictable at the best of times. From planting to harvest, unexpected costs can disrupt your plans. Prices rise and fall, and the market is constantly changing. This uncertainty can make selling your products for a profit, while managing your finances, challenging. However, the Advance Payments Program (APP), can help give you the flexibility to sell when market conditions are favourable.
The APP is a federal loan guarantee program that offers low interest cash advances. In 2019, APP provided just over $3 billion in cash advances to more than 21,000 participating producers.
Advances from the APP are determined based on the market value of a crop or livestock product. The APP can provide loans worth up to 50 percent of the expected average market price of your agricultural product.
Applicants can receive:
- up to $1 million in advances
- interest-free advances of up to $100,000
Advances are available for more than 500 crop and livestock products, and mixed farms can apply for advances on multiple commodities. Repayment terms range from 18 to 24 months with the flexibility for you to repay your advances as you sell your product.
Visit the Advance Payments Program for more information on how you can benefit from this program.
- Want more stories like this? Explore what else Agri-info has to offer.
- Interested in reporting on this story? Contact AAFC Media Relations at email@example.com to arrange an interview with one of our experts.
- Have a story idea or feedback to share? Get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org!
- Never miss an update. Subscribe to Agri-info today.
Report a problem on this page
- Date modified: