Budget 2019: New investments to grow Canadian agriculture
April 15, 2019
Canada's agriculture and food systems are prominent features of the 2019 federal budget, which was tabled in Parliament on March 19, 2019. The budget also reiterated the Government of Canada's support for science and research and focuses on improving Canada's food system. Following are highlights of proposed funding with direct links to the agriculture and agri-food sector:
- $134.4 million over five years to support a Food Policy for Canada — the first of its kind. The Food Policy for Canada will establish four areas for near-term action, including:
- helping Canadian communities access healthy food;
- making Canadian food the top choice at home and abroad;
- supporting food security in Northern and Indigenous communities; and
- reducing food waste.
- up to $3.9 billion in support for supply-managed farmers, consisting of:
- up to $2.4 billion (including $250M already announced under Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement) to sustain the incomes of eligible dairy, poultry, and egg farmers; and
- up to $1.5 billion through a Quota Value Guarantee Program that will protect against reduction in quota value when the quota is sold. Through 2019, the government will continue to work in partnership with supply management stakeholders to address the impacts on processing, as well as potential future impacts of the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement.
- $100 million over five years from the Strategic Innovation Fund to support innovation in the food processing sector.
- up to $100 million over three years starting in 2019-2020 as part of Canada's economic growth strategy for Western Canada for projects across a broad range of sectors, including agriculture.
The Budget is investing in regulatory modernization to help create a stronger climate for innovation and growth in Canada, a Global Skills Strategy to provide businesses with a faster, more predictable way to bring global talent to the country, and connecting rural and remote communities with enhanced broadband. Budget 2019 also reiterated its continued support for science and research.
Visit the Budget 2019 page to find out additional information.
- Want more stories like this? Explore what else Agri-info has to offer.
- Interested in reporting on this story? Contact AAFC Media Relations at email@example.com to arrange an interview with one of our experts.
- Have a story idea or feedback to share? Get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org!
- Never miss an update. Subscribe to Agri-info today.
Report a problem on this page
- Date modified: