Another banner year for Canadian exports
February 15, 2017
Canadian farmers have taken full advantage of a number of trade opportunities in 2016, resulting in a record year for Canadian agri-food with seafood exports, with sales reaching $62.5 billion in 2016. This marks an increase of 41% over the past 5 years!
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada (AAFC) has been working with partners around the world to grow and establish relationships that keep our economy and agricultural industries thriving. Some of last year's achievements include:
- China: Expanding access for frozen, bone-in beef from cattle younger than 30 months, and also for continuing trade in canola;
- Georgia: Gaining new access for live breeding sheep and goats, as well as ovine/caprine/porcine/bovine genetic materials;
- India: Gaining new access for pork products;
- Japan: Gaining new access for British Columbia greenhouse peppers;
- Mexico: Gaining full market access for beef and beef products, as well as restored access for fresh poultry meat, including chicken, turkey and duck meat;
- Taiwan: Gaining restored access for beef;
- Thailand: Gaining new access for Alberta seed potatoes;
- Turkey: Gaining new access for cattle;
- U.S.: Finalizing the Canada-United States Regulatory Cooperation Council annual work plans for meat inspection and certification, animal and plant health, as well as food safety.
- Ukraine: Signing a free trade agreement (FTA).
Looking ahead, Canada will be working closely with the new U.S. administration to ensure strong trade relations. We will launch exploratory talks with China on an FTA, and fulfil the commitment made by the Prime Minister and the Argentine President last November by completing the final steps needed to allow access for Canadian pork and live swine.
For more information on opportunities in markets abroad or to join our distribution list, make suggestions, or request more information, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- China: Government of Canada helps Canadian Agricultural Industry Gain New Market Opportunities in China
- Georgia: Canada Gains Market Access for Live Breeding Cattle and Swine to Georgia
- India: Canada Gains Market Access for Pork to India
- Japan: Canada gains market access for British Columbia greenhouse peppers to Japan
- Mexico (beef and beef products): Canada gains expanded access to Mexico for beef
- Mexico (poultry meat): Canada Regains Market Access for Poultry Meat to Mexico
- Taiwan: Market Successfully Restored for Canadian Beef Exports to Taiwan
- Thailand: Government of Canada Secures Market Access for Alberta Seed Potatoes to Thailand
- Turkey: Canada Gains New Access to the Turkish Market for Canadian Cattle
- U.S. (meat inspection and certification): 2016-2017 Regulatory Cooperation Council Work Plan – Meat
- U.S. (animal health): 2016-2017 Regulatory Cooperation Council Work Plan – Animal Health
- U.S. (plant health): 2016-2017 Regulatory Cooperation Council Work Plan – Plant Health
- U.S. (food safety): 2016-2017 Regulatory Cooperation Council Work Plan – Food Safety
- Ukraine: Canada-Ukraine Free Trade Agreement
Visit Agri-Food Trade Services for Exporters to learn how your company or organization can benefit from export advice and guidance to help you achieve your international business goals.
- Want more stories like this? Explore what else Agri-info has to offer.
- Interested in reporting on this story? Contact AAFC Media Relations at email@example.com to arrange an interview with one of our experts.
- Have a story idea or feedback to share? Get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org!
- Never miss an update. Subscribe to Agri-info today.
Report a problem on this page
- Date modified: