Everyone at the table: Launch of the Food Policy for Canada
July 16, 2019
On June 17, 2019, Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food Marie-Claude Bibeau launched the first-ever Food Policy for Canada at the Carrefour Alimentaire Centre-Sud in Montreal.
The Food Policy for Canada is an ambitious initiative, a roadmap for a healthier and more sustainable food system for our country. The investments and initiatives in the Food Policy will contribute to economic growth, better nutrition and food security for all Canadians.
With an investment of over $134 million, the Food Policy includes plans to:
- improve access to healthy food for all people in Canada, including those in Northern and isolated communities
- begin consultation work on a national school food program
- build pride in and promote the high-quality products made by Canadian farmers
- reduce food waste
As part of the Food Policy, Minister Bibeau announced the five-year, $50 million Local Food Infrastructure Fund, designed to support community-led projects that improve access to safe, healthy and culturally diverse food.
More than 45,000 Canadians, including groups like the Carrefour Alimentaire, shared their ideas during Food Policy consultations. Officials went across the country gathering feedback from farmers, fishers and the food industry; from experts on food security, health and the environment; from Indigenous groups and communities; and from all levels of government.
The Minister visited the Carrefour Alimentaire to learn first-hand about its work to improve access to fresh, local food. She met the passionate people who are working to build a more environmentally sustainable and inclusive local food system in this vibrant Montreal neighbourhood.
View the Facebook Live video of the announcement or visit the Food Policy for Canada webpage to learn more.
- Want more stories like this? Explore what else Agri-info has to offer.
- Interested in reporting on this story? Contact AAFC Media Relations at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange an interview with one of our experts.
- Have a story idea or feedback to share? Get in touch at email@example.com!
- Never miss an update. Subscribe to Agri-info today.
Report a problem on this page
- Date modified: