An Overview of E-Commerce Trends in the United Arab Emirates
Description of the above image (1 of 2)
Basic elements to consider for small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) doing business in the United Arab Emirates via e-commerce channels
The Middle East remains a dynamic region, with strong Gross Domestic Product (GDP) growth, increasing consumer confidence, and some big upcoming events that will benefit food and foodservice sectors.
Note: All dollars are in US funds.
Quick facts (2015)
- Population 9.6 million
- GDP/capita $36,061
- One of the Middle East's most connected countries - 8.8 million Internet users
- 92% of households have access to the Internet.
- All online purchases $427.9 million
- With a forecasted growth rate of 4.7% by 2020.
- Consumer spending
- Total grocery spending: $27.6 billion
- Edible grocery spending per capita: $2,591
- Online spending on food and drinks per capita: $44.50
- Demographics of online consumers
- Male 68%
- Female 32%
- 26-35 year olds make up over 42% of online consumers
Top methods of accessing the internet for shopping
- 8 million laptop users
- 7.6 million mobile phone users
- 4.5 million personal computer users
- 4.2 million tablet users
Description of the above image (2 of 2)
Understanding United Arab Emirates (UAE) online marketplace
- 75% of food products available at the retail outlets in UAE are imported via wholesalers and increasingly by retailers.
- According to Planet Retail, in 2015 UAE's consumer E-commerce spending reached $427.9 million and is forecasted to double to reach $841.2 million by 2020.
Most popular groceries app
- InstaShop - Groceries made easy
A sample of local online grocers
- Choithrams – full of goodness
- SuperMart – it`s all inside
- early bird
- Souq Planet
- Géant online
Give yourself an edge by registering to receive Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada Global Analysis reports today. To join our distribution list, make a suggestion, or request a report, please contact the Market Access Secretariat at: email@example.com
Help with Alternative Formats
An Overview of E-Commerce Trends in the United Arab Emirates (PDF Version, 280KB)
Report a problem on this page
- Date modified: