An Overview of E-Commerce Trends in France
Description of the above image (1 of 2)
Basic Elements to Consider for Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises (SMEs) Doing Business in France via E-Commerce Channels
Quick Facts (2016)
- 64.5 million
- Average household income US$ 46K
- One of Europe's most connected countries
- 51.9 million internet users
- 82.2% of households have access to broadband Internet
- 90.5% of households have a mobile telephone
- Online Food and Drinks Purchases:
- US$6.9 billion in 2016
- Forecasted to be US$9.3 billion in 2021 (6.2% annual growth)
- Consumer spending (2016)
- Total consumer spending on food and non-alcoholic beverages: US$ 172.8 billion
- Total consumer spending on Food and non-alcoholic beverages: US$ 2,679 per capita
- Total online food and drinks spending: US$107.1 per capita
- French Demographics
- Male 31.3 million
- Female 33.2 million
- Median age 41.2
- Population growth 0.88%
Top Methods of Accessing the Internet for Shopping
- 34 million smartphone users
- 46% of e-retail transactions are made via smartphone
- 29 million personal computer users
- 9.9 million tablets users
Getting the goods to your customers
Top 3 delivery methods in France
- Home delivery
- Pick up point
- Collect in store
Top 3 online payment methods in France
- Credit/Debit Cards
- Online payments - France has more than 8M PayPal accounts
- Direct bank transfers
Description of the above image (2 of 2)
French customer behaviour and trends
France is Europe's second-largest e-commerce market. Online revenues continue to grow by double-digits annually.
Other reasons to enter the French market: high purchasing power, reliable payment methods and low shipping costs.
French Shoppers Want:
- Well prepared, French-language websites.
- Good service quality.
- Companies to respect product availability and delivery promises.
- Choice in their delivery method and date.
Understanding France's online marketplace
- Food retail is very competitive in France, providing consumers with a wide variety of stores. This leads to competitors introducing more innovative products, as well as more aggressive sales and pricing policies to distinguish themselves.
- France has the largest Muslim population in the EU, at roughly six million. Its halal market is estimated to be worth US$6.5 billion per year. It represents a great potential for growth in France's mature packaged food market.
- Canadian companies can have an online store with goods located in France or in another EU member state. You should be prepared to accept the Euro as a currency of payment.
- Due to an improved offering and wider distribution, French consumers continue to move towards high-end products with taste and safety attributes. Organic is one of the main food drivers with organic packaged food being the star of internet food sales.
- France has a tradition of consuming varied and expensive food products. Food represents 18% of household budgets. Food ingredients with a health claim, organic and dietetic products (herbal teas, food supplements, gluten-free products) offer great opportunities.
- Domestic agri-food production is actively promoted, particularly through signs of quality (Appellation d'Origine Contrôlée - AOC, Protected Geographical Indication - PGI, organic and Red Label).
Company spotlight: Carrefour
- Carrefour is a French company which is present in retailing worldwide, with three different formats in store-based retailing: hypermarkets, supermarkets and convenience stores.
- Carrefour SA is a multinational retailer. The company focuses on grocery retailing, but it has other interests such as cash and carry, wholesale, travel, insurance and banking. In France, it has a wide national coverage.
- Carrefour operates the internet brands Carrefour Drive and Ooshop/Carrefour. The Carrefour website, http://www.rueducommerce.fr/, offers grocery and non-grocery items and links to the other two brands so that customers can choose between home delivery or click-and-collect for their orders.
Source for all content: Euromonitor
Help with Alternative Formats
An Overview of E-Commerce Trends in France (PDF Version, 176KB)
Report a problem on this page
- Date modified: