Market access for the grains and oilseeds sector
The Government of Canada is working to resolve the trade disruption of canola seed exports to China as quickly as possible.
Government of Canada Canola Working Group
On April 1, 2019, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada (AAFC) announced the formation of the Government-Industry Canola Working Group. This is a forum where industry can exchange views on a coordinated and collaborative approach towards resolving the issue of restricted access to China’s market for Canadian canola. At the same time, the group will explore options for alternative markets in the short and long-term.
The working group is co-chaired by the Canola Council of Canada and Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada. It includes representatives from the Canadian Food Inspection Agency, Global Affairs Canada, Canadian Canola Growers Association, Richardson, Viterra, and the Alberta, Manitoba, and Saskatchewan governments.
Since April 4, 2019, the working group has been meeting regularly and continues to play a constructive role in resolving the issue and helping inform and shape market diversification efforts.
- National working group holds first in-person meeting [2019-04-18]
- Government of Canada working group on canola collaborating to restore market access for Canada’s canola seed to China [2019-04-08]
The Government of Canada is prioritizing support for Canadian producers so that they can be prepared for potential challenges.
- Advance Payments Program – Providing producers with a cash advance on the value of their agricultural products
- AgriStability – Providing income support to producers who experience a large margin decline
- AgriInvest - A self-managed producer-government savings account designed to help producers manage small income declines and make investments to manage risk and improve market income.
- Statement by Minister Carr on Canada taking WTO action for canola industry [2019-09-06]
- Canada backs Canadian canola farmers and exporters with $150 million in insurance support [2019-06-13]
- Minister Carr leads trade mission to Japan and South Korea to promote canola exports [2019-06-04]
- Speech by Minister Marie-Claude Bibeau, Government of Canada Stands Firmly With Canadian Canola Farmers [2019-04-01]
- Speech by the Honourable Jim Carr, Minister of International Trade Diversification, for media availability on canola with Minister Bibeau [2019-04-01]
Report a problem on this page
- Date modified: