Meeting of the Multi-Stakeholder Forum on Neonicotinoids: Record of decision
May 4, 2018 (conference call)
- The first objective of the session was for Health Canada’s Pest Management Regulatory Agency (PMRA) to update the MSF and working group participants on the ongoing re-evaluations and special reviews related to neonicotinoids.
- The second objective was to hear a final update on the 2017 monitoring efforts done by the Environmental Monitoring Working Group (EMWG).
- PMRA began the meeting with updated timelines on the re-evaluations and special reviews related to neonicotinoids.
- Proposed re-evaluation decisions for clothianidin and thiamethoxam related to pollinators were published in December 2017. The public consultation period closed in March 2018. Almost 15,000 comments were received during the consultation period.
- The proposed re-evaluation decision for imidacloprid related to pollinators is anticipated for summer 2018.
- The special reviews for clothianidin and thiamethoxam focused on aquatic invertebrates are also anticipated for summer 2018.
- The final decision for the cyclical re-evaluation of imidacloprid is still anticipated for December 2018.
- Members of the Forum expressed concerns that it would be difficult to provide PMRA with 2018 data given the timelines outlined. PMRA committed to following up with the Forum about a final deadline to receive interim data from the 2018 growing season. PMRA also confirmed that the final data from 2018 would also be useful for the special reviews of clothianidin and thiamethoxam.
Timelines for these reviews are outlined below.
|Active||Publication of Proposed Decision||Publication of Final Decision|
|Imidacloprid||November 2016||December 2018|
|Clothianidin (pollinator)||December 2017||December 2018|
|Thiamethoxam (pollinator)||December 2017||December 2018|
|Imidacloprid (pollinator)||May 2018||December 2018|
|Thiamethoxam (Aquatic Invertebrates)||Summer 2018 (anticipated)||January 2020|
|Clothianidin (Aquatic Invertebrates)||Summer 2018 (anticipated)||January 2020|
PMRA also committed to provide the Forum with a list of actives to include in future monitoring activities.
Environmental Monitoring Working Group (EMWG) update
- The EMWG confirmed that some sampling activities for the 2018 growing season had started.
- The working group and PMRA confirmed that raw data collected throughout 2017 had been submitted to PMRA.
- A summary report for the 2017 growing season has been completed and distributed to the Forum and to PMRA for information, and an executive summary is close to being finalized. This executive summary will be shared with the Forum and can be shared more broadly.
- PMRA confirmed that other jurisdictions had submitted data to the PMRA re-evaluation process.
Roundtable and Closing Remarks
- PMRA provided more information on the Agricultural Outreach Unit. While the mandate of the unit is currently under development, PMRA confirmed that the unit will work primarily with the minor use community to help agriculture stakeholders understand the nature of the data and information to submit to PMRA.
- AAFC committed to continuing its secretariat support of the Forum and its working groups. Members were encouraged to continue to think of next steps for the Forum.
Annex A - Action Items, Decision Points and Recommendations
|Action Item #||Action Item||Responsibility|
PMRA will provide a precise due date for the Environmental Monitoring Working Group to submit interim 2018 data sets.
|2||PMRA will provide a list of recommended actives to include in sampling analysis and data collection.||PMRA|
|3||The EMWG will share the executive summary of its 2017 sampling summary report.||EMWG|
Report a problem on this page
- Date modified: