Canada's chicken industry
... at a glance
- In 2019, Canadian chicken production generated $2.8 billion, contributing 4.3% of cash receipts to farming operations.
- In 2019, there were 2,821 regulated chicken producers in Canada. In addition to the nearly 4,756 commercial poultry and egg producers in Canada, there are a large number of businesses associated with these production activities.
- In 2019, Canada produced 1.298 billion kilograms of chicken (eviscerated weight), 60.5% of which was produced in Quebec and Ontario. Food availability of chicken in 2019 was 35.1 kilograms per person.
- That same year, the average chicken farm produced 457,448 kilograms of chicken meat (eviscerated weight).
- In 2018, retail chicken purchases accounted for approximately 758 million kilograms representing 59% of Canada's total chicken food availability. Fast food services consumed 309 million kilograms (24%), full service restaurants consumed 149 million kilograms (11%), and hotels and institutions consumed 69 million kilograms (5%).
- In 2019, Canada exported over 3.4 million chicks worth over $19.8 million to 19 countries. The United States was the largest market (45% in head count). Other countries included Brazil, China, Germany, Denmark and Taiwan.
- That same year, 124.5 million kilograms of chicken meat and edible bi-products (fresh, chilled, frozen), worth $473.4 million, was exported to 56 countries, with the largest importers being the United States, Philippines and Taiwan. Other countries included Hong Kong and Cuba.
- Industry Indicators
- Imports and Exports
- Inter-provincial Movements
- Storage Stocks
Canadian federally registered plants and stations
- Codes of Practice for the care and handling of farm animals - Chickens, Turkeys and Breeders from Hatchery to Processing Plant
- Codes of Practice for the care and handling of farm animals - Poultry - Layers
- Managing a Small Poultry Flock
- Raising Chicken and Turkey Broilers in Canada
If you have any questions or require additional information, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Our service standards
Service standards play a vital role in our market information program’s commitment to planning, reporting and performance management. They clearly define the level of service that clients can expect under normal circumstances.
Report a problem on this page
- Date modified: