Canada's turkey industry
... at a glance
- In 2018, Canada produced turkey products worth $391.8 million, contributing 0.6% of cash receipts to farming operations.
- In 2018, there were 531 regulated turkey producers in Canada. In addition to the 4,794 commercial poultry and egg producers in Canada, there are a large number of businesses associated with these production activities.
- In 2018, Canada produced 168.2 million kilograms of turkey (eviscerated weight), 64.8% of which was produced in Quebec and Ontario. Per capita disappearance of turkey in 2018 was 4.3 kilograms.
- That same year, the average turkey farm produced 316,820 kilograms of turkey meat (eviscerated weight).
- In 2018, Canada exported over 8.9 million poults (young turkey) worth $36.0 million to 14 countries. The United States was the largest market (94% in head count). Other countries included China, Poland and Sri Lanka.
- That same year, 19.9 million kilograms of turkey meat and edible bi-products (fresh, chilled, frozen), worth more than $35.7 million, was exported to 40 countries, with the largest importers being the United States, South Africa, Cuba and Philippines.
- Industry indicators
- Imports and exports
- Inter-provincial movements
- Storage stocks
Canadian Federally Registered Plants and Stations
- Codes of Practice for the care and handling of farm animals - Chickens, Turkeys and Breeders from Hatchery to Processing Plant
- Raising Chicken and Turkey Broilers in Canada
If you have any questions or require additional information, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Our service standards
Service standards play a vital role in our market information program’s commitment to planning, reporting and performance management. They clearly define the level of service that clients can expect under normal circumstances.
Report a problem on this page
- Date modified: