Canada's table and processed egg industry
... at a glance
- In 2019, there were 1,172 registered egg farms in Canada, generating $1.2 billion in total farm cash receipts, contributing 1.9% of cash receipts to farming operation in Canada.
- Ontario had 35.7% of the federal egg quota allocation in Canada while Quebec was second with 20.3%. The western provinces and the North West Territories had a combined federal egg quota of 36.8% while the Atlantic provinces had 7.1%.
- The most popular breed of chicken for egg production in Canada is the White Leghorn. Canadian farmers also raise Rhode Island Reds. The average laying hen produces about 340 eggs per year (28.3 dozen).
- In 2019, there were 187 federally registered egg grading stations and 15 federally registered processing egg establishments in Canada.
- The egg market in Canada is divided into two components, table eggs and processed eggs. In 2019, the table egg market represented approximately 70% of consumption, while processed eggs accounted for the remaining 30%.
- Egg processing includes the manufacturing of whole eggs, albumen, and yolks, in frozen, dried, or liquid form. It also includes scrambled egg mix, hard cooked eggs, and patties.
- Processed eggs are sold in retail, to hotels, restaurants, and institutions. They are sold to further processors for the manufacturing of many food items such as bakery products, mayonnaise, and noodles. Specialty items such as shampoo, pet foods and adhesives also include processed eggs.
- Processed eggs are also exported. In 2019, Canada exported over 4 million kilograms of processed eggs worth $11.2 million.
- Canadian supplies are supplemented by imports that are controlled by Tariff Rate Quotas (TRQs).The access level negotiated under the World Trade Organization is of 21,370,000 dozen eggs equivalent.
- As of July 1, 2020, Canada implemented a new TRQ for eggs and egg products originating from the United States established under the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement (CUSMA). The access volume available for 2020 under this TRQ is 833,334 dozen eggs equivalent.
- Under the CPTPP, 8,350,000 dozen eggs equivalent in market access are available for 2020.
- In 2019, per capita disappearance was 21.4 dozen, 1.3% above the previous year. It represents a 34% increase over the last 10 years.
- There are a number of factors that explain this increase in North America:
- Shift in consumer attitude towards eggs;
- Shift towards more protein driven diets with eggs as a cheaper protein source ;
- Decrease in cold cereal food availability for breakfast ;
- Increased demand for products containing liquid egg whites (albumen) only, such as yolk-free omelets and breakfast sandwiches.
If you have any questions or require additional information, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Our service standards
Service standards play a vital role in our market information program’s commitment to planning, reporting and performance management. They clearly define the level of service that clients can expect under normal circumstances.
Report a problem on this page
- Date modified: