Federal-Provincial-Territorial Ministers of Agriculture Progress Report on the Pan-Canadian Framework on Clean Growth and Climate Change – 2017
About the Report
In December 2016, Canada’s First Ministers adopted the Pan-Canadian Framework on Clean Growth and Climate Change. The framework builds on the leadership and early actions of provincial and territorial governments to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. It identifies further actions to be taken across all regions and sectors of the economy, including the agricultural sector, to contribute to meeting Canada’s emissions reduction target, and to seize the economic opportunities associated with clean growth.
The Prime Minister and Premiers tasked their Ministers responsible for the implementation of the framework to report back annually on their progress. To fulfill this requirement, the Federal-Provincial-Territorial (FPT) Ministers of Agriculture Progress Report on the Pan-Canadian Framework on Clean Growth and Climate Change (2017) reports on agriculture-related actions taken by governments in support of the sector’s efforts on climate change.
FPT Ministers of Agriculture are collaborating to deliver the framework’s agriculture-related actions through the Canadian Agricultural Partnership, a five year, $3 billion investment by FPT governments to strengthen the agriculture, agri-food and agri-based products sector.
Through the Partnership, FPT governments will address priority areas on environmental sustainability and climate change, including:
- enabling the sector's capacity to mitigate greenhouse gas emissions and adapt to climate change
- encouraging innovative approaches to address agri-environmental issues and knowledge transfer
- addressing persistent provincial, territorial and regional agri-environmental issues
- supporting the sector's ability to demonstrate sustainability in a changing domestic and global context
- strengthening information collection, measurement and communication among FPT governments on environmental actions taken by the sector and resulting impacts on sustainability
Through the Partnership, FPT governments will also focus on accelerating science, research and innovation by:
- strengthening science, research and innovation capacity to address fundamental challenges such as environmental and market pressures
- enhancing knowledge and technology transfer activities to help farmers, food processors and agri-businesses commercialize and adopt innovative products and practices
- supporting research activities in areas that require sustained commitment, while ensuring flexibility for governments to respond to emerging priorities and sectors
- continuing to encourage industry leadership and participation in collaborative research, development and knowledge transfer activities
Key areas of programming pertaining to clean growth and climate change will be confirmed in the bilateral agreements between the federal government and each provincial/territorial government under the Canadian Agricultural Partnership. Through these agreements, governments will also identify program targets and performance measures for reporting on progress over the course of the Partnership.
The Partnership actions on environment and climate change will build on existing efforts within each jurisdiction. This report highlights some of these efforts that directly support the framework’s objectives for the agriculture sector.
To request a copy of the complete publication, please contact:
Departmental Publications Service
Report a problem on this page
- Date modified: