Emergency Food Security Fund
In April 2020, the Government of Canada announced up to $100 million through the Emergency Food Security Fund to Canadian food banks and other national food rescue organizations to help improve access to food for people experiencing food insecurity in Canada due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Funds were used to:
- purchase food and other basic necessities
- buy or rent equipment and materials
- transport and distribute food
- access new distribution centres
- hire temporary help to fill volunteer shortages
- implement biosecurity measures
How the funds were distributed
The Government worked with Food Banks Canada, Second Harvest, Community Food Centres Canada, Breakfast Club of Canada, Salvation Army, and La Tablée des Chefs to distribute funding to regional agencies that have an established food aid distribution network for providing food to those in need.
On October 9, 2020, the Government of Canada announced an additional $100 million to further support food security. Indigenous Services Canada (ISC) was provided with $30 million from this funding to bolster its Indigenous Community Support Fund. With the remaining funding, the Government will continue to work with the same six organizations to ensure food reaches those in need.
Organizations seeking assistance should reach out to the organizations below to obtain emergency aid.
- Food Banks Canada provides national leadership to relieve and prevent hunger in collaboration with the food bank network in Canada. For members of the food bank network across Canada that wish to apply for funding, please contact 1-800-986-5280 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Second Harvest recovers fresh, unsold food to protect the environment and provide immediate hunger relief. Contact: email@example.com
- Community Food Centres Canada works with partners to create Community Food Centres that bring people together to grow, cook, share and advocate for good food. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Breakfast Club of Canada provides food, kitchen equipment, training, and volunteers to school clubs across the country. Contact: email@example.com or 1-888-442-1217
- Salvation Army supports food security across Canada through food banks, community meals, and school meals. Contact: 1-800-SAL-ARMY
- La Tablée des Chefs distributes meals in Québec and other large urban centres. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or 450-748-1638
- Indigenous communities can contact Indigenous Services Canada to access the Indigenous Community Support Fund.
Report a problem on this page
- Date modified: