What is AgriInvest?
AgriInvest is one of the Business Risk Management programs under the Canadian Agricultural Partnership (CAP).The Canadian Agricultural Partnership is a five-year, $3 billion investment by federal, provincial and territorial governments to strengthen the agriculture and agri-food sector. The Partnership features:
- simplified and streamlined programs and services that are easier to access
- key enhancements to programs that help farmers manage significant risks that threaten the viability of their farm and are beyond their capacity to manage
AgriInvest is a self-managed producer-government savings account designed to help you manage small income declines and make investments to manage risk and improve market income.
Each year, you can deposit up to 100% of your Allowable Net Sales to your AgriInvest account and receive a matching government contribution on 1% of your Allowable Net Sales. For more information, see How Is My AgriInvest deposit calculated?
Your AgriInvest account grows as you make deposits, receive matching government contributions and earn interest. You can withdraw funds from your AgriInvest account any time. Funds are withdrawn from your account in the following order:
- Fund 2 – government contributions and interest (included in income for income tax purposes)
- Fund 1 – your deposits (not taxable)
To participate in AgriInvest, simply file:
- an AgriInvest form reporting sales and purchases of allowable commodities by the final deadline for the program year.
- an income tax return reporting farming income (loss) to the Canada Revenue Agency by the final filing deadline for the program year
For more information on participating, see Am I eligible for AgriInvest? and How do I participate in AgriInvest?
For detailed program information, see the AgriInvest Program Guidelines.
Note: AgriInvest is delivered by the federal government in all provinces except Quebec.
In Quebec, AgriInvest is delivered provincially by La Financière agricole.
Report a problem on this page
- Date modified: