Raise a glass to the success of the west coast wine industry for BC Wine Month
Like the land where the grapes are grown, each bottle of British Columbia wine serves an extraordinary and unique experience. In recognition of April being BC Wine Month, it is important to note that most of the grapes for Canada's wineries are grown in the southern parts of British Columbia and Ontario, where sun-drenched summers give way to warm, lingering autumns.
Like the cool-climate wine districts of New Zealand, Germany, and parts of France, these Canadian regions enjoy an ideal climate for the slow maturing of the grapes, a leisurely ripening that ensures just the right balance of acidity and sweetness in the finished wines.
The beautiful lands of British Columbia are home to over 900 vineyards and over 300 licensed wineries. Decades of producing quality local wines has served to greatly make an impact on the province's economy for the better.
Here are some more interesting facts about the British Columbia wine industry.
- There are 3,905 hectares of wine grapes grown in BC
- Over 60 grape varietals are produced in the province including Pinot Gris, Merlot, Pinot Noir, and Chardonnay
- The BC wineries manufacturing sales alone accounted for 47% of all of Canada's wineries manufacturing sales
- BC wineries manufacturing sales have grown by 50% since 2015 and were valued at $736 million in 2020
- The BC wine industry employs over 12,000 people
So, honour BC Wine Month and foster the growth of this flourishing sector of the Canadian economy by shopping locally for your favourite British Columbia produced wine.
Learn more about Canada's wine industry and its contribution to our economy.
- Want more stories like this? Explore what else Agri-info has to offer.
- Interested in reporting on this story? Contact AAFC Media Relations at email@example.com to arrange an interview with one of our experts.
- Have a story idea or feedback to share? Get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org!
- Never miss an update. Subscribe to Agri-info today.
Report a problem on this page
- Date modified: