March 16, 2018
Budget 2018 takes the next steps towards building an equal, competitive, sustainable and fair Canada – where science and innovation spur economic growth.
The Budget proposes strategic investments that will support the growth and prosperity of the agriculture and agri-food sector, including:
- nearly $4 billion to support the work of Canada’s researchers and to provide them access to the state-of-the art tools facilities they need
- $47 million over three years to the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) to support activities that help address food safety risks
- $29 million over five years to the CFIA to support the negotiations of export conditions for agricultural, fishery and forestry products and certification of Canadian exports against other countries' import requirements
- $75 million over five years, with $11.8 million per year beyond that, for Global Affairs Canada to build a stronger diplomatic presence and trade promotion in China and Asia
- $49.4 million over six years, starting in 2018-19, to Statistics Canada to conduct the 2021 Census of Agriculture
- modernizing Canada's regulatory framework, with an initial focus that includes agri-food
The Budget also stressed gender equality as a key theme. To support women entrepreneurs in agriculture, a new lending product will be created and launched in 2018-19 designed specifically for women entrepreneurs through Farm Credit Canada (FCC). In addition, FCC will continue to offer advisory services, learning events and knowledge initiatives aimed at women entrepreneurs in the agriculture and agri-food sectors.
Additional information about Budget 2018 can be found online.
- Want more stories like this? Explore what else Agri-info has to offer.
- Interested in reporting on this story? Contact AAFC Media Relations at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange an interview with one of our experts.
- Have a story idea or feedback to share? Get in touch at email@example.com!
- Never miss an update. Subscribe to Agri-info today.
Report a problem on this page
- Date modified: