Elimination Guidelines 2020 - Type of Drug Glossary
Type of Drug Glossary
- Androgenic Anabolic Steroid
- A drug that possesses anabolic (musculature, size) and androgenic activity (masculinization, behavioural effects).
- A drug that relieves pain.
- An antiparasitic or worming agent.
- A drug that destroys or prevents the growth of bacteria.
- A drug that antagonizes bronchospasm, (anti-muscarinic) reduces respiratory secretions and gastro-intestinal hypermotility.
- A drug that relieves nasal congestion.
- A drug that prevents or relieves involuntary contraction of muscles.
- A drug that relieves depression and has the ability to alter behaviour.
- A drug that inhibits the breakdown of fibrin which is important in the blood clotting mechanism.
- A drug that relieves the symptoms of allergy. Many antihistaminic drugs have sedative side effects.
- A drug that acts against abnormally high blood pressure and emotional tension.
- A drug that relieves local swelling, redness and pain caused by an injury or infection.
- A drug that reduces a fever.
- A cough remedy.
- A drug that expands the diameter of the bronchial tubes, permitting easier breathing.
- An agent producing mild surface irritation of skin with the object of relieving deep-seated inflammation.
- A drug causing increased production and excretion of urine.
- A drug that promotes the clearing of phlegm from chest or lungs.
- Gastric Acid Secretion Inhibitor
- A drug that inhibits gastric acid secretion and aids in ulcer therapy.
- General Anesthetic
- A drug producing a lack of sensation and a level of sedation required for major surgery.
- A drug that aids in the prevention of hemorrhage.
- Histamine H2 Receptor Antagonist
- A drug that inhibits gastric acid secretion, aids in peptic ulcer therapy.
- An agent producing sloughing of the surface layers of skin.
- Local Anesthetic
- A drug producing reduced sensations (e.g. touch, pain) in a restricted area of the body.
- A drug that breaks down or liquefies mucus.
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug.
- A drug that acts to produce rhythmic contractions of the uterus.
- Penetrant Carrier
- A substance that enhances the absorption of other drugs.
- Respiratory Anti-allergic
- A drug that aids in control of allergic respiratory disease and cough, and reduces pulmonary hyperactivity.
- A drug that produces a calming effect and reduces nervous excitement.
- Skeletal Muscle Relaxant
- A drug that relaxes the muscles involved in locomotion.
- A drug that mimics the actions of the sympathetic nervous system.
- Synthetic Corticosteroid
- A drug producing an action similar to that of a steroid hormone of the adrenal cortex, but which is chemically distinguishable from natural hormones.
- A drug that relieves anxiety and other stress-related symptoms.
- A drug that causes dilation of blood vessels.
Report a problem on this page
- Date modified: