AgriStability Late Participation Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is late participation?
Under the new Canadian Agricultural Partnership, governments agreed to allow producers to join the program after the enrolment deadline if there is a significant downturn in a farm sector and a gap in participation. To address the challenges facing New Brunswick and Nova Scotia producers, the governments of Canada, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia have agreed to late participation for 2018. This will ensure all New Brunswick and Nova Scotia producers can access AgriStability support for the 2018 program year to help protect the viability of their farm.
Before you begin
If you are a new participant (you have never participated in AgriStability), you will need a Participant Identification Number (PIN). To get a PIN, complete an AgriStability New Participant PIN Request Form. If you participate in the AgriInvest program, you can use your PIN for AgriStability
2. How do I apply for AgriStability as a late participant?
Step 1- Pay your fee
- To apply for AgriStability as a late participant, you must pay:
- an up-front non-refundable amount of $300 before we will process your form ($245 fee plus $55 Administrative Cost Share);
- $3.15 for every $1,000 of Reference Margin covered (minus the $245 fee you have already paid). You are only required to pay this portion of the fee if you receive a benefit. We will calculate this portion of the fee when we process your form and automatically deduct it from your benefit, if you receive one.
- The deadline to pay your $300 up-front fee is December 31, 2019. However, we will not process your form until we receive your fee.
- You can pay your $300 up-front fee:
- online or by telebanking through your financial institution if they provide this service. Pay your fee to AAFC-AgriStability using your PIN.
- by cheque payable to “The Receiver General for Canada”. Include your PIN on your cheque and send your payment to:
PO Box 3200 Station Main
Winnipeg MB R3C 5R7
Step 2 - Complete and submit a 2018 AgriStability form
- The 2018 form for corporations and co-operatives is available on the AgriStability website. Operations can submit a form once they complete their 2018 fiscal year. Mail the completed form to the AgriStability Administration at the address shown above.
- The 2018 form for individuals will be available in February 2019 on the AgriStability website. EFILE or mail the completed form to the Canada Revenue Agency.
- The initial deadline to submit a 2018 form is September 30, 2019. You can submit a form until December 31, 2019; however, we will reduce your benefit by $500 for each month (or part of month) we receive it after the initial deadline.
Step 3 – We will process your form
- We will send you additional forms to complete if we need more information to calculate your benefit.
- Once we process your form, we will send you a Calculation of Program Benefits Notice and an AgriStability benefit if applicable.
3. What is the late participation penalty?
Your benefits will be reduced by 20% for late participation.
Don’t miss out on AgriStability benefits in the future. Participating in the program each year will give you access to full AgriStability benefits and help protect your farm business against financial losses should a similar event reoccur.
4. Can I access AgriStability benefits before completing my 2018 fiscal year?
The AgriStability Interim Payment feature allows you to apply for 2018 program year benefits before you complete your 2018 fiscal year. An Interim Payment is an advance on your final 2018 AgriStability benefit. You can find the 2018 AgriStability Interim form on the AgriStability website.
Send the completed form and the $300 up-front fee to the AgriStability Administration at the address shown above.
5. How can I find more information on AgriStability
For more information on AgriStability visit the AgriStability website or call the Administration toll-free at 1-866-367-8506.
Report a problem on this page
- Date modified: