Canada's Egg Industry
... at a glance
- In 2009, there were 1,015 registered egg farms in Canada, generating $588.6 million in total farm cash receipts.
- Ontario had 41.1% of the federal egg quota allocation in Canada while Quebec was second with 16.5%. The western provinces and the North West Territories had a combined egg production quota allocation of 31.5% while the eastern provinces had a combined production of 11%.
- The average Canadian flock size was 19,287 hens, but Canadian egg farms can range from a few hundred to more than 400,000 hens. The average laying hen produces about 300 eggs per year (25 dozens).
- The most popular breed of chicken for egg production in Canada is the White Leghorn. Canadian farmers also raise Rhode Island Reds.
- Today, about 70% of Canada's total egg production is sold for the table market while the remaining 30% is used in the manufacturing of value-added food and other products (liquid, frozen or dried eggs form). These supplies are supplemented by imports that are controlled by a tariff rate quota (TRQ) of 21.4 million equivalent dozen of egg. This TRQ is the access level to imported eggs on the Canadian market under the World Trade Organization international trade obligations.
- In 2009, there were 261 federally registered egg grading stations and 14 federally registered processing egg establishments in Canada.
- Canada's egg industry operates under an orderly marketing policy framework called supply management that is designed to encourage production of a sufficient volume of eggs to meet market needs.
Canadian Food Inspection Agency inspectors across Canada monitor
operations and take random food samples from egg grading and egg
processing stations for laboratory analysis to verify compliance
with food safety regulations and product standards. In addition,
the Canadian Egg Marketing Agency and its provincial-territorial
partners have put in place a Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points
"Start Clean-Stay CleanTM" program which is a code of farm management practice
designed for the production of high quality, clean eggs that complies
with internationally recognized safety standards.
... in details
- Because of changing dietary habits, annual total egg consumption in Canada has dropped from 23 dozen per person in 1960 to 14.4 dozen in 1995. Since 1995, egg consumption has increased and in 2009, it reached 16.1 dozen per person.
- Egg processing includes the production of whole egg, albumen and egg yolks in frozen, dried or liquid form but also omelettes.
Processed eggs are sold at retail, to hotels, restaurants and institutions,
are sold to further processors for the manufacturing of many foods
(bakery products, mayonnaise, noodles, etc.) and speciality items
such as shampoo, pet foods and adhesives. Processed eggs are also
exported. In 2009, Canada exported for 24.6 million dollars of processed eggs. Canada only exported
for a little less than 400 thousand dollars of
fresh/preserved/cooked shell eggs. Canada imported for 46.4 million dollars of eggs and egg products.
For more detailed information contact:Poultry Section,
Animal Industry Division
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
1341 Baseline Road
Tower 5, 2nd Floor
Ottawa, Ontario Canada
Web site: http://www.agr.gc.ca/poultry/index_eng.htm