Smith, Anne, Ph.D.
5403 - 1 Avenue South
PO Box 3000
Lethbridge, Alberta T1J 4B1
Areas of Expertise:
- hyperspectral reflectance
- land use monitoring
- precision agriculture
- crop and soil reflectance
- visible-infrared reflectance
- multispectral reflectance
- crop stress detection
- remote sensing
- crop residue detection
- Improving sustainable production, economic return and environmental impact of cropping systems through variable and low input management based on direct measurement and remote sensing of spatial and temporal variability of crops and soil properties
- Develop remote sensing technologies to manage field spatial and temporal variability and enhance potato production efficiency
- Management of spatial and temporal variability of landscapes
- Developing remote sensing technology for mapping weed infestations in pulse and canola crops
- Intelligent Sensor Web for Integrated Earth Sensing
- Improving water quality with smart N management using crop spectral characteristics
- 110.2.3 Soil Quality and Soil Processes on a Landscape Basis: Conduct research and develop new analytical tools to better understand and assess soil quality and processes in the landscape.
- Adjunct Professor, University of Lethbridge
- Prairie Provinces Chair, Canadian Remote Sensing Society
- Smith, A.M., Hill, M.J., and Zhang, Y. (2015). "Estimating ground cover in the mixed prairie grassland of southern Alberta using vegetation indices related to physiological function.", Canadian Journal of Remote Sensing, 41(1), pp. 51-66. doi : 10.1080/07038992.2015.1042101
- Eddy, P.R., Smith, A.M., Hill, B.D., Peddle, D.R., Coburn, C.A., and Blackshaw, R.E. (2014). "Weed and crop discrimination using hyperspectral image data and reduced bandsets.", Canadian Journal of Remote Sensing, 39(6), pp. 481-490. doi : 10.5589/m14-001
- Smith, A.M. (2012). "Spatial and temporal variation in vulnerability of crop production to drought in southern Alberta.", Canadian Geographer, 56(4), pp. 474-491. doi : 10.1111/j.1541-0064.2012.00440.x
- Zhang, K., Wang, J.-G, and Pattey, E., Smith, A.M. (2011). "Improving the Retrieval of the Biophysical Parameters of Vegetation Canopies by using the Contribution Index.", Canadian Journal of Remote Sensing, 37(6), pp. 643-652. doi : 10.5589/m12-006
- Buckley, J.R. and Smith, A.M. (2011). "Comparing RADARSAT 2 and TerraSAR-X quad-pol SAR imagery of grasslands.", International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS), 2011(Article No. 6050022), pp. 3676-3679. doi : 10.1109/IGARSS.2011.6050022
- Smith, A.M. and Buckley, J.R. (2011). "Investigating RADARSAT-2 as a tool for monitoring grassland in western Canada.", Canadian Journal of Remote Sensing, 37(1), pp. 93-102.
- Teillet, P.M., Ren, X., and Smith, A.M. (2011). "Suitability of rangeland terrain for satellite remote sensing calibration.", Canadian Journal of Remote Sensing, 36(5), pp. 451-463. doi : 10.5589/m10-074
- Beres, B.L., Harker, K.N., Clayton, G.W., Bremer, E., O'Donovan, J.T., Blackshaw, R.E., and Smith, A.M. (2010). "Influence of N fertilization method on weed growth, grain yield and grain concentration in notill winter wheat.", Canadian Journal of Plant Science, 90(5), pp. 637-644. doi : 10.4141/CJPS10037
- Buckley, J.R. and Smith, A.M. (2010). "Monitoring grasslands with RadarSat 2 Quad-pol imagery.", International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS), pp. 3090-3093. doi : 10.1109/IGARSS.2010.5652367
- Liu, J., Pattey, E., Miller, J.R., McNairn, H., and Smith, A.M. (2010). "Estimating crop stresses, aboveground dry biomass and yield of corn using multi-temporal optical data combined with a radiation use efficiency model.", Remote Sensing of Environment, 114(6), pp. 1167-1177. doi : 10.1016/j.rse.2010.01.004
- Moyer, J.R., Coen, G.M., Dunn, R.F., and Smith, A.M. (2010). "Effects of Landscape Position, Rainfall, and Tillage on Residual Herbicides.", Weed Technology, 24(3), pp. 361-368. doi : 10.1614/WT-D-09-00067.1
- Li, Q.-M. and Smith, A.M. (2009). "Noise reduction of hyperspectral data using singular spectral analysis.", International Journal of Remote Sensing, 30(9), pp. 2277-2296. doi : 10.1080/01431160802549344
- Smith, A.M., Bourgeois, G., Teillet, P.M., Freemantle, J., and Nadeau, C. (2009). "A comparison of NDVI and MTVI2 for estimating LAI using CHRIS imagery: a case study in wheat.", Canadian Journal of Remote Sensing, 34(6), pp. 539-548. doi : 10.5589/m08-071
Other science related publications
- Smith, A.M., Yang, X., and Hill, M.J. (2015). "Remote sensing for grassland monitoring – a case study in the Alberta mixed grass sub-region.", 9th Symposium of the International Society for Digital Earth (ISDE), Halifax, NS, Canada, pp. 14. (Abstract)
- Yang, X., Smith, A.M., and Hill, M.J. (2015). "Updating the Grassland Vegetation Inventory Using Landsat Imagery-Conversion of Native Grassland to Cultivated Agriculture.", 36th Canadian Symposium on Remote Sensing, St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada, pp. 140. (Abstract)
- Zebarth, B.J., Moreau, G., Dixon, W.T., Smith, A.M., and Cambouris, A.N. (2015). "Application of high resolution remote sensing imagery to potato production.", McCain Foods (Canada) grower meetings, Grand Falls/Florenceville, NB, Canada, February 24-25, 2015, Presentation.
- Zebarth, B.J., Moreau, G., Hemphil, M., Leclerc, Y., and Smith, A.M. (2015). "Overcoming limitations to potato productivity: the New Brunswick experience.", 2015 accelerated release open house of AAFC, Fredericton, NB, Canada, February 11, 2015. (Presentation)
- Zebarth, B.J., Moreau, G., Smith, A.M., Toner, P., Cambouris, A.N., Goyer, C., Owen, J., and Burton, D.L. (2015). "Yield variation in potato fields: Lessons learned so far.", 2015 Crop Update Session, Fredericton, NB, Canada, January 13-14, 2015.
- Moreau, G., Zebarth, B.J., Smith, A.M., and Toner, P. (2014). "Improving profitability and competitiveness through mitigation of limitations to potato yield.", Northeast Potato Technology Forum 2014, Fredericton, NB, Canada, March 12-13, 2014.
- Smith, A.M., Zebarth, B.J., and Oseen, I. (2014). Assessing field variability in New Brunswick potato fields using unmanned aerial systems imagery. Report submitted to McCain Foods (Canada). (Report)
- Xu, S., Sura, S., Wang, G.P., Smith, A.M., Zaheer, R., Cook, S.R., Olson, A.F., Cessna, A.J., Larney, F.J., and McAllister, T.A. (2014). "Degradation of antimicrobial resistance determinants during windrow composting and stockpiling of manure from cattle administered sub-therapeutic antimicrobials.", XVIth International Congress of Virology - International Union of Microbiological Societies (IUMS 2014), July 27 - August 1, 2014, Montréal, Québec, Canada, July 27-August 1, 2014.
- Zebarth, B.J., Moreau, G., Smith, A.M., and Toner, P. (2014). "Yield variation within potato fields: Case studies from 2013.", Integrating new technologies to understand and manage the variability of our soils, Grand Falls, NB, Canada, March 29, 2014.
- Zebarth, B.J., Moreau, G., Smith, A.M., and Toner, P. (2014). "Yield variation within potato fields: Case studies from 2013.", Northeast Potato Technology Forum 2014, Fredericton, NB, Canada, March 12-13, 2014.
- Kloppenburg, C., Smith, A.M., Staenz, K., Bourchier, R.S., and Coburn, C.A. (2013). "Detecting Leafy Spurge in Native Grassland Using Hyperspectral Image Analysis.", 34th Canadian Symposium on Remote Sensing, Victoria, BC, Canada, August 27-30, 2013.
- Oseen, I., Smith, A.M., Kloppenburg, C., Larson, G.L., and Bourchier, R.S. (2013). "Mapping the invasive weed species leafy spurge: the influence of image spatial and spectral resolution.", 34th Canadian Symposium on Remote Sensing, Victoria, BC, Canada, August 27-30, 2013.
- Smith, A.M. (2012). "Eye in the sky – Earth observation tools monitor grassland productivity.", AgExpo 2012, Lethbridge, AB, Canada, February 29-March 2, 2012. (Presentation)
- Kloppenburg, C., Smith, A.M., Staenz, K., Bourchier, R.S., and Van Hezewijk, B.H. (2011). "Detecting leafy spurge (Euphoria esula L.)in native grassland using hyperspectral image analysis.", 32nd Canadian Symposium on Remote Sensing/14e Congrès de l’assosciation quebecoise de télédétection, Bishops University, Lennoxville, QC, Canada, June 13-16, 2011.
- Xu, W., Ren, X., and Smith, A.M. (2011). "Remote sensing, crop yield estimation and agricultural vulnerability assessment: A case of Southern Alberta.", 19th International Conference on Geoinformatics, Shanghai, China, June 24-26, 2011, published in Proceedings - 2011 19th International Conference on Geoinformatics, Article number 5980692, Category number CFP1132H-ART; Code 86318. (Presentation)
- Buckley, J.R. and Smith, A.M. (2010). "Monitoring Grasslands with Radarsat 2 Quad-Pol Imagery.", IEEE International Geoscience & Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS 2010), Honolulu, HI, USA, July 25-30, 2010, Session: TH2.L05.
Report a problem on this page
- Date modified: