Fox, Catherine, Ph.D.
Research Scientist: Soil Ecology - Soil Structure
2585 County Road 20
Harrow, Ontario N0R 1G0
Areas of Expertise:
- Assessment of impacts of agricultural practices on soil morphology and development of soil structure
- Development of soil taxonomic protocols for enhanced tracking of change in soil structure as a result of agricultural practices and environmental stressors
- Development of enhanced taxonomic protocols for A horizon designations to provide a unique soil fingerprint to enable detailed monitoring of soil dynamic changes at field and landscape scales of observation
- Evaluation of impact of agricultural practices on soil biota population distribution and abundance (such as earthworms) and soil biological activity
- Evaluation and identification of soil genesis processes in relation to soil classification
- For the soil surface layer, define enhanced taxonomic protocols and model framework to characterize and predict the agri-environmental impacts from land use and tillage on the soil structure fingerprint (A-base Peer Review Project)
- Evaluation of impact of long-term tillage and management practices on abundance and species distribution of earthworm populations. (Soil Biodiversity Indicator development)
- Evaluation of impact of long-term tillage and management practices on extent of soil biota activity for accessing a carbon source. (Soil Biodiversity Indicator development)
The links below lead to abstracts with access to full text.
- Fox, C.A., Tarnocai, C., Broll, G., Joschko, M., Kroetsch, D.J., and Kenney, E. (2014). "Enhanced A Horizon Framework and Field Form for Detailed Field Scale Monitoring of Dynamic Soil Properties.", Canadian Journal of Soil Science. doi : 10.4141/CJSS2013-079
- Kuka, K., Illerhaus, B., Fox, C.A., and Joschko, M. (2013). "X-ray computed microtomography for the study of the soil-root relationship in grassland soils.", Vadose Zone Journal, 12(4). doi : 10.2136/vzj2013.01.0014
- Joschko, M., Barkusky, D., Rogasik, J., Fox, C.A., Rogasik, H., Gellert, R., Buchholz, B., Ellmer, F., Reinhold, J., and Gerlach, F. (2012). "On-farm study of reduced tillage on sandy soil: Effects on soil organic carbon dynamic and earthworm abundance.", Archives of Agronomy and Soil Science, 58(Suppl. No.1), pp. S252-S260. doi : 10.1080/03650340.2012.698733
- Fox, C.A. and Tarnocai, C. (2011). "Organic soils of Canada: Part 2. upland organic soils.", Canadian Journal of Soil Science, 91(5), pp. 823-842. doi : 10.4141/cjss10032
- Fox, C.A., Tarnocai, C., and Broll, G. (2010). "New A horizon protocols for topsoil characterization in Canada.", in Gilkes, R.J. and Prakongkep, N. (eds.) - 19th World Congress of Soil Science: Soil Solutions for a changing world, International Union of Soil Sciences, Madison, WI, USA, Chapter 'N', pp. 9-12.
- Joschko, M., Gebbers, R., Barkusky, D., Rogasik, J., Höhn, W., Hierold, W., Fox, C.A., and Timmer, J. (2009). "Location-dependency of earthworm response to reduced tillage on sandy soil.", Soil & Tillage Research, 102(1), pp. 55-66. doi : 10.1016/j.still.2008.07.023
- Reynolds, W.D., Drury, C.F., Tan, C.S., Fox, C.A., and Yang, X.M. (2009). "Use of indicators and pore volume-function characteristics to quantify soil physical quality.", Geoderma, 152(3-4), pp. 252-263. doi : 10.1016/j.geoderma.2009.06.009
Other Science Related Publications:
- Yang, X.M., Drury, C.F., Gregorich, E.G., Hao, X., Geng, X.Y., Reid, K., Fox, C.A., and VandenBygaart, A.J. (2014). "Mid-Infrared Spectral Characteristics of Different Agricultural Soils cross Canada.", CSSS/CGU 2014 Annual Meeting, Banff, AB, Canada, May 4-8, 2014.
- Fox, C.A., Broll, G., Joschko, M., and Tarnocai, C. (2013). "Electronic Field Form to Record Soil Fingerprint Codes to Enable Assessing Dynamic Soil Changes in A Horizons.", IUSS-Divisional 1 Conference, Soils in Space and Time, Ulm, Germany, February 10, 2013. (Poster)
- Kuka, K., Illerhaus, B., Fox, C.A., and Joschko, M. (2013). "Assessment of Soil Structure and Plant Root Patterns by Means of X-ray Computed Tomography in Biodiversity Exploratories Grassland Sites.", IUSS-Divisional 1 Conference, Soils in Space and Time, Ulm, Germany, February 10, 2013, Oral presentation.
- Schirrmann, M., Joschko, M., Gebbers, R., Barkusky, D., Kramer, E., Timmer, J., and Fox, C.A. (2013). "Potential for Upscaling Earthworm Abundance with Proximal Soil Sensing.", IUSS-Divisional 1 Conference, Soils in Space and Time, Ulm, Germany, February 10, 2013.
- Fox, C.A., Tarnocai, C., Broll, G., and Joschko, M. (2012). "A Proposal for a Universal Framework of Enhanced A‐Horizon Lowercase Suffixes for Addressing Dynamic Soil Change in Topsoils.", 4th Conference for Soil Classification, Lincoln, NE, USA, June 11-12, 2012, pp. 11.
- Fox, C.A., Tarnocai, C., Broll, G., and Joschko, M. (2012). "New taxonomic Framework for enhancing A Horizon lowercase suffixes to enable detailed monitoring of soil change in topsoils.", 4th International Congress EUROSOIL: Soil Science for the Benefit of Mankind and Environment, Bari, Italy, July 2-6, 2012. (Poster)
- Fox, C.A. and Tarnocai, C. (2009). "Proposal for Developing Enhanced Soil Taxonomic Protocols for A Horizon Designations.", Joint Annual Meeting of the CSA-CSSS-CSAFM: Sciences for Sustainability: Soils, Agronomy, and Atmosphere, University of Guelph, Guelph, ON, Canada, August 5-7, 2009. (Poster)
- Hamel, C., Sheng, M., Eilers, W.D., Dalpé, Y., Fox, C.A., Knox, R.E., and Singh, A.K. (2009). "AMF in sustainable agriculture: Tools for farmers and policy makers.", 6th International Conference on Mycorrhiza (ICOM 6), Ouro Minas Palace Hotel, Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brazil, August 9-14, 2009.
- Welacky, T.W., Fox, C.A., Anderson, T.R., Hunt, D.W.A., and Michelutti, R. (2009). "Effect of Riparian Hedgrows on beneficial organisms and economic pests in Ontario.", Journal of Nematology, 41(4), pp. 93. (Abstract)
- Yang, X.M., Drury, C.F., Reynolds, W.D., Yang, J.Y., Tan, C.S., Zhang, T.Q., and Fox, C.A. (2009). "Soil Organic Carbon Sequestration Research at AAFC-Harrow.", Canada-China Soil and Eco-Environment Cooperative Management Workshop, Shenyang City, Liaoning Province, China, May 5-7, 2009. (Presentation)
- Zhang, T.Q., Tan, C.S., Drury, C.F., Reynolds, W.D., Welacky, T.W., Yang, J.Y., Fox, C.A., and Yang, X.M. (2009). "Integrated Approaches, Optimized Practices, and Maximized Integrative Effects.", Canada-China Soil and Eco-Environment Cooperative Management Workshop, Shenyang City, Liaoning Province, China, May 5-7, 2009. (Presentation)
- Date modified: