Koutchma, Tatiana, Ph.D.
93 Stone Road West
Guelph, Ontario N1G 5C9
Areas of Expertise:
- thermal processing
- innovative processing technologies with emphasis on ultraviolet light irradiation, microwave heating, ultra high pressure
- process calculations
- modeling reaction kinetics
- engineering properties of foods
- process validation
The links below lead to abstracts with access to full text.
- Orlowska, M., Koutchma, T., Grapperhaus, M., Gallagher, J., Schaefer, R., and Defelice, C. (2013). "Continuous and Pulsed Ultraviolet Light for Nonthermal Treatment of Liquid Foods. Part 1: Effects on Quality of Fructose Solution, Apple Juice, and Milk.", Food and Bioprocess Technology, 6(6), pp. 1580-1592. doi : 10.1007/s11947-012-0779-8
- Juliano, P., Bilbao-Sáinz, C., Koutchma, T., Balasubramaniam, V.M., Clark, S., Stewart, C.M., Dunne, C.P., and Barbosa-Cánovas, G.V. (2012). "Shelf-Stable Egg-Based Products Processed by High Pressure Thermal Sterilization.", Food Engineering Reviews, 4(1), pp. 55-67. doi : 10.1007/s12393-011-9046-4
- Rawson, A., Patras, A., Tiwari, B.K., Noci, F., Koutchma, T., and Brunton, N. (2011). "Effect of thermal and non thermal processing technologies on the bioactive content of exotic fruits and their products: Review of recent advances.", Food Research International, 44(7), pp. 1875-1887. doi : 10.1016/j.foodres.2011.02.053
- Juliano, P., Koutchma, T., Sui, Q., Barbosa-Cánovas, G.V., and Sadler, G. (2010). "Polymeric-Based Food Packaging for High-Pressure Processing.", Food Engineering Reviews, 2(4), pp. 274-297. doi : 10.1007/s12393-010-9026-0
- Koutchma, T. (2009). "Advances in Ultraviolet Light Technology for Non-thermal Processing of Liquid Foods.", Food and Bioprocess Technology, 2(2), pp. 138-155. doi : 10.1007/s11947-008-0178-3
- Koutchma, T., Song, Y., Setikaite, I., Juliano, P., Barbosa-Cánovas, G.V., Dunne, C.P., and Patazca, E. (2009). "Packaging Evaluation for High-Pressure High-Temperature Sterilization of Shelf-Stable Foods.", Journal of Food Process Engineering, 33(6), pp. 1097-1114. doi : 10.1111/j.1745-4530.2008.00328.x
- Setikaite, I., Koutchma, T., Patazca, E., and Parisi, B. (2009). "Effects of Water Activity in Model Systems on High-Pressure Inactivation of Escherichia coli.", Food and Bioprocess Technology, 2(2), pp. 213-221. doi : 10.1007/s11947-008-0069-7
Other Science Related Publications:
- Koutchma, T. and Orlowska, M. (2012). "Ultraviolet Light for Processing Fruits and Fruit Products.", in Rodrigues, S. and Fernandes, F.A.N. (eds.) - Advances in Fruit Processing Technologies, CRC Press Taylor & Francis, Boca Raton, FL, USA, Chapter 1, pp. 2-27.
- Koutchma, T. (2011). "Merging food processing technologies in the age of global food safety: Approaches and Updates in Research, Regulations and Validation.", 1st International CIGR Workshop on Food Safety, Agrosup, Dijon, France, April 14-15, 2011.
- Koutchma, T. (2011). "Ultraviolet Light as Control Measure in Food Processing.", Nonthermal Processing Division Workshop, Osnabrück, Germany, October 11-14, 2011.
- Koutchma, T., Orlowska, M., and Defelice, C. (2011). "Theoretical and Experimental Approaches to Improve Performance of UV systems for Liquid Foods and Beverages.", 6th International CIGR Technical Symposium. Toward a Sustainable Food Chain. Food Process, Bioprocessing and Food Quality Management. Section VI, Nantes, France, April 18-20, 2011.
- Koutchma, T., Orlowska, M., and Defelice, C. (2011). "Ultraviolet Light for Safety of Fluid Foods and Beverages.", 2nd North American Conference on Ozone, Ultraviolet & Advanced Oxidation Technologies, Toronto, ON, Canada, September 18-20, 2011.
- Rodríguez-Gonzále, O., Buckow, R., Koutchma, T., and Balasubramaniam, V.M. (2011). "Energy efficiency of selected nonthermal food processes for preserving apple juice.", Nonthermal Processing Division Workshop, Osnabrück, Germany, October 11-14, 2011.
- Zhu, Y., Fan, W., Koutchma, T., Zhou, T., and Warriner, K. (2011). "Degradation of patulin in model solution and apple juice by ultraviolet radiation.", FSFN, December 6, 2011. (Presentation)
- Hiremath, N., Deschênes, L., Zareifard, M.R., Ramaswamy, H.S., and Koutchma, T. (2010). "Review on adhesion and biofilm formation under continuous flow conditions in food processing.", 2010 Canadian Institute of Food Science & Technology (CIFST) and AAFC Conference, Fairmont Winnipeg Hotel, Winnipeg, MB, Canada, May 30-June 1, 2010. (Abstract)
- Koutchma, T. (2010). "Challenges of UV light processing of low UVT foods and beverages.", Proceedings of SPIE - The International Society for Optical Engineering, 7789(Article No. 7789OH).
- Koutchma, T. (2010). "Ultraviolet light for safety of fluid foods: challenges and solutions.", 2010 Canadian Institute of Food Science & Technology (CIFST) and AAFC Conference, Fairmont Winnipeg Hotel, Winnipeg, MB, Canada, May 30-June 1, 2010, # 09-2. (Abstract)
- Koutchma, T. (2009). "Traditional and High-Technology approaches to microbial safety in foods.", in Heredia, N.L., Wesley, I.V., and Garcia, J.S. (eds.) - Microbiologically Safe Foods for the 21st Century, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd, Chapter 23.
- Koutchma, T. and Yakovlev, V. (2009). "Computer modeling and simulation of microwave heating process for food preservation.", in Farid, M.M. (ed.) - Mathematical Analysis of Food Processing. Series: Contemporary Food Engineering, CRC Press Taylor & Francis, Boca Raton, FL, USA.
- Koutchma, T., Forney, L.J., Moraru, C.I., and Sun, D.-W. (2009). Ultraviolet Light in Food Technology: Principles and Applications., Taylor & Francis. (Book)
- Ye, Z. and Koutchma, T. (2009). "Mathematical Modeling and Design of Ultraviolet Light Process for Liquid Foods and Beverages.", in Farid, M.M. (ed.) - Mathematical Analysis of Food Processing. Series: Contemporary Food Engineering, CRC Press Taylor & Francis, Boca Raton, FL, USA.
- Date modified: