Wilson, Henry, Ph.D.
2701 Grand Valley Road, Brandon Research Centre
P.O. Box 1000A, R.R. #3
Brandon, Manitoba R7A 5Y3
Areas of Expertise:
- Hydrology and biogeochemistry
- Identification of agricultural management practices that reduce eutrophication in downstream aquatic systems
- Identification of agricultural management practices that reduce spring flooding
- The transport of organic matter and nutrients with water
- Interactions between land use and aquatic ecosystem processes
- Dissolved organic matter export, form, and bioavailability as influenced by agricultural land use practices
- Design and testing of automated water quality sampling and sensor systems
- Retrospective analysis of historical changes in hydrological pattern with land use and climate variation
- Developing empirical and statistical models to define the effects of land use, soil properties, and topology on watershed hydrology and nutrient export in the Parkland region
- Watershed-scale soil water storage dynamics and flow as related to cropping practices, soil properties, and landscape drainage characteristics
- Transport of nutrients and microelements with aerial deposition from gravel roads
- Identifying the environmental factors controlling nutrient export during snowmelt and storm events
- Examining the age of dissolved organic matter as an indicator of soil organic matter weathering
- Changes in water extractable organic matter form and bioavailability under differing crop types, rotation, and long term management
- Examining the role played by dissolved and water extractable organic matter in nutrient mineralization and cycling
- Combined measurement of aqueous and gaseous fluxes of nitrogen and carbon to improve quantification of nutrient use efficiency and greenhouse gas sequestration potential
The links below lead to abstracts with access to full text.
- Wilson, H.F., Saiers, J.E., Raymond, P.A., and Sobczak, W.V. (2013). "Hydrologic Drivers and Seasonality of Dissolved Organic Carbon Concentration, Nitrogen Content, Bioavailability, and Export in a Forested New England Stream.", Ecosystems. doi : 10.1007/s10021-013-9635-6
- Xu, N., Wilson, H.F., Saiers, J.E., and Entz, M.H. (2013). "Effects of Crop Rotation and Management System on Water Extractable Organic Matter Concentration, Structure, and Bioavailability in a Chernozemic Agricultural Soil.", Journal of Environmental Quality, 42(1), pp. 179-190. doi : 10.2135/jeq2012.0126
- Baulch, H.M., Dillon, P.J., Maranger, R., Venkiteswaran, J.J., Wilson, H.F., and Schiff, S.L. (2012). "Night and day: short-term variation in nitrogen chemistry and nitrous oxide emissions from streams.", Freshwater Biology, 57(3), pp. 509-525. doi : 10.1111/j.1365-2427.2011.02720.x
- Williams, C.J., Scott, A.B., Wilson, H.F., and Xenopoulos, M.A. (2012). "Effects of land use on water column bacterial activity and enzyme stoichiometry in stream ecosystems.", Aquatic Sciences - Research Across Boundaries, 74(3), pp. 483-494. doi : 10.1007/s00027-011-0242-3
- Wilson, H.F. and Xenopoulos, M.A. (2012). "Diel changes of dissolved organic matter In streams of varying watershed land use.", River Research and Applications. doi : 10.1002/rra.2606
- Xu, N., Saiers, J.E., Wilson, H.F., and Raymond, P.A. (2012). "Simulating streamflow and dissolved organic matter export from a forested watershed.", Water Resources Research, 48(5), pp. W05519. doi : 10.1029/2011WR011423
- Wilson, H.F. and Xenopoulos, M.A. (2011). "Nutrient recycling by fish in streams along a gradient of agricultural land use.", Global Change Biology, 17(1), pp. 130-139. doi : 10.1111/j.1365-2486.2010.02284.x
- Williams, C.J., Yamashita, Y., Wilson, H.F., Jaffé, R., and Xenopoulos, M.A. (2010). "Unravelling the role of land use and microbial activity in shaping chromophoric dissolved organic matter characteristics in stream ecosystems.", Limnology and Oceanography, 55(3), pp. 1159-1171. doi : 10.4319/lo.2010.55.3.1159
- Wilson, H.F. and Xenopoulos, M.A. (2009). "Effects of agricultural land use on the composition of fluvial dissolved organic matter.", Nature Geoscience, 2, pp. 37-41. doi : 10.1038/ngeo391
Other Science Related Publications:
- Glenn, A.J. and Wilson, H.F. (2013). "Carbon balance of an organic cropland in southwestern Manitoba.", Joint meeting of the Canadian Society of Soil Science, Manitoba Soil Science Society, and Canadian Society of Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, July 22-25, 2013.
- Glenn, A.J. and Wilson, H.F. (2012). "Water, carbon, and nitrogen balance components of a no-till crop rotation in southwestern Manitoba.", Manitoba Zero-Tillage Research Association Annual General Meeting 2012, Brandon, MB, Canada, March 20, 2012. (Presentation)
- Wilson, H.F., Xenopoulos, M.A., Xu, N., Butman, D.E., Raymond, P.A., and Saiers, J.E. (2011). "Altered dissolved organic matter composition in rivers with agricultural land use. Rob Peters Award Talk.", 64th Canadian Conference For Fisheries Research (CCFFR) / Conférence Canadienne de la Recherche sur les Pêches (CCRP), Toronto, ON, Canada, January 6-8, 2011.
- Williams, C.J., Scott, A.B., Wilson, H.F., and Xenopoulos, M.A. (2009). "Influence of land use on bacterial activity and organic matter characteristics in southern Ontario streams.", 62nd Canadian Conference For Fisheries Research (CCFFR) / Conférence Canadienne de la Recherche sur les Pêches (CCRP), Ottawa, ON, Canada, January 9-11, 2009. (Presentation)
- Wilson, H.F. and Xenopoulos, M.A. (2009). "Longitudinal dynamics of dissolved organic matter in a mixed land use watershed.", 2009 American Geophysical Union (AGU) Fall Meeting, Moscone Convention Center, San Francisco, CA, USA, December 14-18, 2009. (Poster)
- Wilson, H.F. and Xenopoulos, M.A. (2009). "Nutrient recycling by stream fish assemblages across a gradient of land use.", 57th Annual Meeting of the North American Benthological Society (NABS), Grand Rapids, MI, USA, May 16-23, 2009. (Presentation)
- Xenopoulos, M.A., Luu, B., Scott, A.B., Spooner, D.E., Williams, C.J., and Wilson, H.F. (2009). "The role of land use in mediating denitrification and other stream ecosystem processes.", Annual Meeting of the American Society of Limnology and Oceanography (ASLO) 2009: Aquatic Sciences Meeting, Nice, France, January 25-30, 2009.
- Date modified: