Cliff, Margaret, Ph.D.
Summerland, British Columbia V0H 1Z0
Areas of Expertise:
- sensory evaluation
- taste research
- wine research
- wine quality
- fruit & vegetable quality
- statistical analysis
- food quality
- flavour research
- Development and evaluation of new sensory methodologies: Assessment of the effectiveness of the 'mouth feel' wheel for wine astringency evaluation
- Evaluating consumer acceptance of BC wine: Assessment of Asian wine preferences.
- Evaluating consumer acceptance of functional foods: Assessing suitable flavours of fruit-veggie bars.
- Relating sensory and physio-chemical analyses: Evaluating anthocyanins, phenols and astringency in BC commercial red wines.
- Wine quality evaluations and expert assessments
The links below lead to abstracts with access to full text.
- Cliff, M.A., Li, J.B., and Stanich, K. (2014). "Survey reveals urban consumers’ attitudes and beliefs regarding the use of wax on apples.", Journal of Food Quality. doi : 10.1111/jfq.12065
- Cliff, M.A., Stanich, K., and Hampson, C.R. (2014). "Consumer research explores acceptability of a new Canadian apple - Salish™.", Canadian Journal of Plant Science, 94, pp. 99-108. doi : 10.4141/CJPS2013-236
- Saberi, S., Cliff, M.A., and Van Vuuren, H.J.J. (2014). "Comparison of Genetic and Enological Characteristics of New and Existing S. cerevisiae Strains for Chardonnay Wine Fermentations.", Food Biotechnology, 28(3), pp. 195-215. doi : 10.1080/08905436.2014.931863
- Cliff, M.A., Fan, L., Sanford, K.A., Stanich, K., Doucette, C., and Raymond, N. (2013). "Descriptive analysis and early-stage consumer acceptance of yogurts fermented with carrot juice.", Journal of Dairy Science (JDS), 96(7), pp. 4160-4172. doi : 10.3168/jds.2012-6287
- Kozak, L.M. and Cliff, M.A. (2013). "Systematic comparison of hedonic ranking and rating methods demonstrates few practical differences.", Journal of Food Science, 78(8), pp. S1257-S1263. doi : 10.1111/1750-3841.12173
- Cliff, M.A., Li, J.B., Toivonen, P.M.A., and Ehret, D.L. (2012). "Effects of nutrient solution electrical conductivity on the compositional and sensory characteristics of greenhouse tomato fruit.", Postharvest Biology and Technology, 74, pp. 132-140. doi : 10.1016/j.postharvbio.2011.12.007
- Cliff, M.A., Stanich, K., Edwards, J.E., and Saucier, C.T. (2012). "Adding grape seed extract to wine affects astringency and other sensory attributes.", Journal of Food Quality, 35(4), pp. 263-271. doi : 10.1111/j.1745-4557.2012.00448.x
- Saberi, S., Cliff, M.A., and Van Vuuren, H.J.J. (2012). "Impact of mixed S. cerevisiae strains on the production of volatiles and estimated sensory profiles of Chardonnay wines.", Food Research International, 48(2), pp. 725-735. doi : 10.1016/j.foodres.2012.06.012
- Cliff, M.A., Bansal, M., Stanich, K., and Usher, K.B. (2011). "Comparison of new and existing threshold methods for evaluating sulfur compounds in different base wines.", Journal of Sensory Studies, 26(3), pp. 184-196. doi : 10.1111/j.1745-459X.2011.00335.x
- Cliff, M.A., Stanich, K., Moran Trujillo, J., Toivonen, P.M.A., and Forney, C.F. (2011). "Determination and Prediction of Odor Thresholds for Odor Active Volatiles in a Neutral Apple Juice Matrix.", Journal of Food Quality, 34(3), pp. 177-186. doi : 10.1111/j.1745-4557.2011.00383.x
- Cliff, M.A., Toivonen, P.M.A., Forney, C.F., Liu, P.Y., and Lu, C. (2010). "Quality of fresh-cut apple slices stored in solid and micro-perforated film packages having contrasting O2 headspace atmospheres.", Postharvest Biology and Technology, 58(3), pp. 254-261. doi : 10.1016/j.postharvbio.2010.07.015
- Cliff, M.A. and King, M.C. (2009). "Influence of serving temperature and wine type on perception of ethyl acetate and 4-ethyl phenol in wine.", Journal of Wine Research, 20(1), pp. 45-52. doi : 10.1080/09571260902978535
- Cliff, M.A., Lok, S., Lu, C., and Toivonen, P.M.A. (2009). "Effect of 1-methylcyclopropene on the sensory, visual, and analytical quality of greenhouse tomatoes.", Postharvest Biology and Technology, 53(1-2), pp. 11-15. doi : 10.1016/j.postharvbio.2009.02.003
- Kappel, F., MacDonald, R.A., Cliff, M.A., and McKenzie, D.-L. (2009). "13N0770 (Stardust™) sweet cherry.", Canadian Journal of Plant Science, 89(4), pp. 713-716. doi : 10.4141/CJPS08186
Other Science Related Publications:
- Bowen, P.A., Bogdanoff, C.P., Usher, K.B., Estergaard, B.F., Cliff, M.A., and Stanich, K. (2012). "Irrigation frequency and rate effects on vine growth, leaf gas exchange, berry composition, and wine sensory quality in red winegrapes.", American Journal of Enology and Viticulture, 63(3), pp. 440A. (Abstract)
- Cliff, M.A. (2010). "Exploring Urban Consumer Preferences for Apple Cultivars.", UBC Botanical Garden Apple Festival, Vancouver, BC, Canada, October 16-17, 2010.
- Forney, C.F., Cliff, M.A., Liu, P.Y., and Toivonen, P.M.A. (2010). "Influence of packaging on the flavor of fresh-cut apple slices.", United Fresh 2010, Sands MegaCenter, Las Vegas, NV, USA, April 20-23, 2010. (Poster)
- Forney, C.F., Song, J., Toivonen, P.M.A., Cliff, M.A., Lu, C., and Jordan, M.A. (2010). "Factors affecting the flavor of fresh-cut apples.", 107th Annual Conference of the American Society for Horticultural Science (ASHS) for Speciality Crops, Palm Desert, CA, USA, August 2-5, 2010, Published in: HortScience, 45(8), pp. S57. (Abstract)
- Date modified: