Kirby, Christopher W., Ph.D.
Physical Chemist, NMR Specialist
440 University Avenue
Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island C1A 4N6
Areas of Expertise:
- NMR studies of bioactive products and processes
- Structure elucidation of chemical and biochemical systems
- NMR studies of bioactive products and processes
- Structure and dynamics of bioactive systems
- Member of the Chemical Institute of Canada
The links below lead to abstracts with access to full text.
- Ghose, K., McCallum, J.L., Fillmore, S.A.E., Kirby, C.W., Sanderson, K.R., Joly, S., Bruneau, A., and Fofana, B. (2013). "Structuration of the genetic and metabolite diversity among Prince Edward Island cultivated wild rose ecotypes.", Scientia Horticulturae, 160(27), pp. 251-263. doi : 10.1016/j.scienta.2013.01.016
- Kirby, C.W., Wu, T., Tsao, R., and McCallum, J.L. (2013). "Isolation and structural characterization of unusual pyranoanthocyanins and related anthocyanins from Staghorn sumac (Rhus typhina L.) via UPLC–ESI-MS, 1H, 13C, and 2D NMR spectroscopy.", Phytochemistry, 94, pp. 284-293. doi : 10.1016/j.phytochem.2013.06.017
- Ji, X-H., Rivers, L., Zielinski, Z., Xu, M., MacDougall, E., Stephen, J., Zhang, S.C., Wang, Y., Chapman, R.G., Keddy, P., Robertson, G.S., Kirby, C.W., Embleton, J., Worrall, K., Murphy, A.M., De Koeyer, D.L., Tai, H.H., Yu, L., Charter, E., and Zhang, J-Z. (2012). "Quantitative analysis of phenolic components and glycoalkaloids from 20 potato clones and in vitro evaluation of antioxidant, cholesterol uptake, and neuroprotective activities.", Food Chemistry, 133(4), pp. 1177-1187. doi : 10.1016/j.foodchem.2011.08.065
- Fofana, B., Cloutier, S., Kirby, C.W., McCallum, J.L., and Duguid, S.D. (2011). "A well balanced omega-6/omega-3 ratio in developing flax bolls after heating and its implications for use as a fresh vegetable by humans.", Food Research International, 44(8), pp. 2459-2464. doi : 10.1016/j.foodres.2010.12.018
- Kirby, C.W., McCallum, J.L., and Fofana, B. (2011). "A 1H NMR study of the fatty acid distribution in developing flax bolls before and after a cooking treatment.", Canadian Journal of Chemistry, 89(9), pp. 1138-1142. doi : 10.1139/V11-057
- Fan, D., Hodges, D.M., Zhang, J-Z., Kirby, C.W., Ji, X-H., Locke, S.J, Critchley, A.T., and Prithiviraj, B. (2010). "Commercial extract of the brown seaweed Ascophyllum nodosum enhances phenolic antioxidant content of spinach (Spinacia oleracea L.) which protects Caenorhabditis elegans against oxidative and thermal stress.", Food Chemistry, 124(1), pp. 195-202. doi : 10.1016/j.foodchem.2010.06.008
Other Science Related Publications:
- Kirby, C.W., Wu, T., Tsao, R., and McCallum, J.L. (2012). "NMR structure elucidation of novel anthocyanins from Staghorn Sumac (Rhus typhina L.)", MOOT XXV Mini NMR Symposium, Université Laval, Québec City, QC, Canada, October 20-21, 2012.
- Fofana, B., Main, D., Ghose, K., Grimmett, M.G., Kirby, C.W., McCallum, J.L., Peters, R.D., Drake, K.A., Locke, S.J, and Sweeney, M.E. (2011). "Improving the antioxidant capacity of field crops by increasing selenoprotein content.", 2011 Annual Meeting of the Canadian Phytopathological Society (with Plant Canada 2011), Halifax, NS, Canada, July 17-21, 2011, pp. 61, #1145. (Presentation)
- Ghose, K., Sanderson, K.R., Kirby, C.W., McCallum, J.L., and Fofana, B. (2011). "Genetic structure of Prince Edwards island wild rosehip ecotypes as revealed by single nucleotide polymorphism.", Canadian Phytopathological Society (CPS) 82nd Annual Meeting (with Plant Canada 2011), Halifax, NS, Canada, July 17-21, 2011, CSHS-9, pp. 283. (Poster)
- Ghose, K., McCallum, J.L., Kirby, C.W., Sanderson, K.R., and Fofana, B. (2010). "Genetic and matebolite diversity in Atlantic Canada wild roses and its implication in drug and cultivar development.", 2nd Maritime Natural Products Conference, Charlottetown, PEI, Canada, August 31-September 2, 2010.
- Ghose, K., McCallum, J.L., Kirby, C.W., Sanderson, K.R., and Fofana, B. (2010). "Genetic and metabolite diversity in Atlantic Canada wild roses and its implications in drug and cultivar development.", Plant Biology 2010: Joint meeting of the Canadian Society of Plant Physiologists (CSPP) and American Society of Plant Biologists (ASPB), Montréal Convention Centre, Montréal, QC, Canada, July 31-August 4, 2010, P09073. (Poster)
- Johnson, J.B., Kulka, M., Wang, Y., Zidichouski, J., Saleh, T., Fofana, B., Kirby, C.W., McCallum, J.L., Sanderson, K.R., Berrue, F., Kerr, R., Mackinnon, S., Zhang, J., and Chapman, R.A. (2010). "Comparative evaluation of the immunomodulatory activities of selected Prince Edward Island rose hip varieties.", 10th Agricultural Biotechnology International Conference (ABIC), Saskatoon, SK, Canada, September 12-15, 2010. (Poster)
- Kirby, C.W., McCallum, J.L., and Fofana, B. (2009). "NMR Studies of the Fatty Acids Present in Flax Seed Development.", MOOT XXII NMR Minisymposium, Carleton University, Ottawa, ON, Canada, October 17-18, 2009, 16. (Poster)
- Date modified: