Thompson, Donald J., Ph.D.
Research Scientist, Range Plant Ecologist
5403 - 1 Avenue South
P.O. Box 3000
Lethbridge, Alberta T1J 4B1
Areas of Expertise:
- Range plant ecology
- Forage Agronomy
- Wildlife damage to crops
- Short duration grazing effects on grassland vegetation and cattle distribution
- Cattle plant community preference determined with GPS collars
- Seasonal grazing effects on grassland biodiversity
- Climate change simulation in Canadian grasslands
- Species mixtures for seeding rangelands
- Science and innovation Environmental Health Lethbridge Research Centre
The links below lead to abstracts with access to full text.
- Cumming, W.F.P., Newman, R.F., Bradfield, G.E., Krzic, M., and Thompson, D.J. (2016). "Grazing and solar irradiance drive patterns of change in two grassland plant communities in southern British Columbia.", Journal of Arid Environments, 133, pp. 94-101. doi : 10.1016/j.jaridenv.2016.06.001
- Fraser, L.H., Pither, J., Jentsch, A., Sternberg, M., Zobel, A.M., Bennett, J.A., Bork, E.W., Thompson, D.J., and others (2015). "Worldwide evidence of a unimodal relationship between productivity and plant species richness.", Science, 349(6245), pp. 302-305. doi : 10.1126/science.aab3916
- Thompson, D.J., Wheatley, B., Church, J.S., Newman, R., and Walker, J. (2015). "Comparing grazing and resting electivity of beef cattle for BC bunchgrass communities using GPS collars.", Canadian Journal of Animal Science, 95(4), pp. 499-507. doi : 10.4141/CJAS-2014-116
- Turner, T.D., Jensen, J., Pilfold, J.L., Prema, D., Donkor, K.K., Cinel, B., Thompson, D.J., Dugan, M.E.R, and Church, J.S. (2015). "Comparison of fatty acids in beef tissues from conventional, organic and natural feeding systems in Western Canada.", Canadian Journal of Animal Science, 95(1), pp. 49-58. doi : 10.4141/CJAS-2014-113
- Thompson, D.J. (2014). "Relating germination requirements of timber milkvetch to seral stage in the Interior Douglas-fir zone.", Canadian Journal of Plant Science, 94(4), pp. 723-726. doi : 10.4141/cjps2013-336
- Thompson, D.J. and Willms, W.D. (2014). "Effects of long-term protection from grazing on phenotypic expression in geographically separated mountain rough fescue populations.", Canadian Journal of Plant Science, 94(1), pp. 33-39. doi : 10.4141/cjps2013-181
- Thompson, D.J., Acharya, S.N., and Beck, R.K. (2014). "Simulated early spring deer damage to alfalfa in interior BC.", Canadian Society of Agronomy & Canadian Society for Horticultural Science Joint Annual Conference, University of Lethbridge, Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada, July 10-12, 2014.
- Ducherer, K., Bai, Y., Thompson, D.J., and Broersma, K. (2013). "Thinning of a Ponderosa Pine/Douglas-Fir forest in South-Central BC: Impacts on understory vegetation.", Journal of Ecosystems and Management, 14(1), pp. 1-15.
- Thompson, D.J. (2013). "Yield and nutritive value of irrigated tall fescue compared with orchardgrass: In monocultures or mixed with alfalfa.", Canadian Journal of Plant Science, 93(5), pp. 799-807. doi : 10.4141/cjps2012-283
- Evans, C.R.W., Krzic, M., Broersma, K., and Thompson, D.J. (2012). "Long-term grazing effects on grassland soil properties in southern British Columbia.", Canadian Journal of Soil Science, 92(4), pp. 685-693. doi : 10.4141/CJSS2011-070
- Veira, D.M., Lysyk, T.J., Thompson, D.J., Garland, G.J., and Majak, W. (2010). "Effect of grazing mixtures of alfalfa and orchardgrass grown in strips on the incidence of bloat in cattle.", Canadian Journal of Animal Science, 90(1), pp. 109-112. doi : 10.4141/CJAS09077
- Ducherer, K., Bai, Y., Thompson, D.J., and Broersma, K. (2009). "Dynamic responses of a British Columbian forest-grassland interface to prescribed burning.", Western North American Naturalist, 69(1), pp. 75-87. doi : 10.3398/064.069.0118
Other Science Related Publications:
- Gao, X., Hao, X., Thomas, B.W., Beck, R.K., Thompson, D.J., Willms, W.D., and Zhao, M. (2016). "Soil CO2, CH4 and N2O fluxes in response to cattle stocking rates on a rough fescue grassland.", 2016 Alberta Soil Science Workshop, Grand Prairies, AB, Canada, February 16-18, 2016. (Abstract)
- Thompson, D.J., Elsinger, M., and Schellenberg, M.P. (2015). "Effects of warming and season of defoliation on the species composition of Manitoba Prairie.", 2015 Society for Range Management Annual General Meeting, Sacramento, CA, USA, January 31-February 7, 2015.
- Thompson, D.J. (2014). "Plant community choice by free ranging cattle while grazing or resting.", 67th annual meeting of the Society for Range Management, Orlando, FL, USA. (Abstract)
- Thompson, D.J. and Veira, D.M. (2013). "Stockpiling tall fescue for winter grazing by beef cows in interior BC.", in Bittman, S. and Hunt, D. (eds.) - Cool Forages: Advances management of temperate forages.
- Thompson, D.J., Wheatley, B., Schellenberg, M.P., and Leborgne, M. (2013). "Microclimate modification effects on the species composition of BC grassland communities.", 66th annual meeting of the Society for Range Management, Oklahoma City, OK, USA. (Abstract)
- Thompson, D.J., Wheatley, B., Church, J., Newman, R., McLeod, M., and Walker, J. (2012). "Plant community preference by cattle on BC bunchgrass range.", 65th annual meeting of the Society for Range Management, Spokane, WA, USA. (Abstract)
- Thompson, D.J. (2011). "Recovery of intermontane grasslands with fall grazing or rest.", 64th annual meeting of the Society for Range Management, Billings, MT, USA. (Abstract)
- Thompson, D.J. and Viera, D. (2011). "Winter feeding of heifer calves and effects on subsequent performance.", Beef in BC, 26(2), pp. 46.
- Thompson, D.J. (2010). "A cows’s selection on grassland.", Beef in BC, 25(3), pp. 10.
- Thompson, D.J. (2010). "Stockpiled forages for winter grazing.", Beef in BC, 25(5), pp. 38.
- Date modified: