Meadus, Jon, Ph.D.
Research Scientist, Molecular Genetics
6000 C and E Trail
Lacombe, Alberta T4L 1W1
Areas of Expertise:
- molecular genetics & biotechnology
- genetic markers for meat quality
- endocrinology of livestock
- food safety testing using DNA markers
- Application of genetic markers for quality, traceability and breed identification in livestock
- Monitoring Mycobacterium paratuberculosis (Johne's) in the food processing chain and farm environment.
- The effect of DHA omega-3 fatty acids on pig endocrinology and pork quality
- Canadian Meat Science Association (CMSA)
- Canadian Center for Swine Identification (CCSI)
- International Association for Food Protection (IAFP)
- Canadian Society of Animal Science (CSAS)
The links below lead to abstracts with access to full text.
- Meadus, W.J., Duff, P., McDonal, T., and Caine, W.R. (2014). "Pigs fed Camelina meal increase hepatic gene expression of cytochrome 8b1, aldehyde dehydrogenase, and thiosulfate transferase.", Journal of Animal Science and Biotechnology, 5(1). doi : 10.1186/2049-1891-5-1
- Meadus, W.J., Turner, T.D., Dugan, M.E.R, Aalhus, J.L., Duff, P., Rolland, D.C., Uttaro, B., and Gibson, L. (2013). "Fortification of pork loins with docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and its effect on flavour.", Journal of Animal Science and Biotechnology, 4(46). doi : 10.1186/2049-1891-4-46
- Mir, P.S., He, M.L., Travis, G.R., Entz, T., McAllister, T.A., Marchand, S., Schaefer, A.L., Meadus, W.J., Lepage, P., Okine, E.K., and Dodson, M.V. (2012). "Periodic 48h feed withdrawal improves glucose tolerance in growing pigs by enhancing adipogenesis and lipogenesis.", Nutrition & Metabolism, 9:10. doi : 10.1186/1743-7075-9-10
- Gill, C.O., Saucier, L., and Meadus, W.J. (2011). "Mycobacterium avium subsp. paratuberculosis in Dairy Products, Meat, and Drinking Water.", Journal of Food Protection, 74(3), pp. 480-499. doi : 10.4315/0362-028X.JFP-10-301
- Meadus, W.J., Duff, P., Rolland, D.C., Aalhus, J.L., Uttaro, B., and Dugan, M.E.R (2011). "Feeding docosahexaenoic acid to pigs reduces blood triglycerides and induces gene expression for fat oxidation.", Canadian Journal of Animal Science, 91(4), pp. 601-612. doi : 10.4141/cjas2011-055
- Meadus, W.J., Duff, P., Uttaro, B., Aalhus, J.L., Rolland, D.C., Gibson, L.L., and Dugan, M.E.R (2010). "Production of Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA) enriched bacon.", Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 58(1), pp. 465-472. doi : 10.1021/jf9028078
Other Science Related Publications:
- Meadus, W.J., Duff, P., McDonal, T., and Caine, W.R. (2013). "Pigs Fed Camelina Meal Increases Liver Expression of Drug Metabolism Enzymes Cyp8b, Aldh and Tst", 59th International Congress of Meat Science and Technology (ICoMST2013), Izmir, Turkey, August 18-23, 2013, Poster ID: S4-3. (Poster)
- Meadus, W.J., Turner, T.D., Dugan, M.E.R, Aalhus, J.L., Duff, P., Rolland, D., Uttaro, B., and Gibson, L.L. (2013). "Injection of Pork Loins with The Long Chain Fatty Acid Docosahexaenoic Acid (dha) and Its Effect on Flavour", 59th International Congress of Meat Science and Technology (ICoMST2013), Izmir, Turkey, August 18-23, 2013, Poster ID: S10B-9. (Poster)
- Meadus, W.J., Duff, P., McDonald, T., and Caine, W.R. (2012). "Pigs fed camelina meal increases liver CYP8B1 expression.", ADSA-AMPA-ASAS-CSAS-WSASAS 2012 Joint Annual Meeting, Hyatt Regency, Phoenix, AZ, USA, July 15-19, 2012, #W208. (Poster)
- Meadus, W.J., Dugan, M.E.R, Aalhus, J.L., Duff, P., and Rolland, D. (2012). "Fortification of pork chops with omega-3 oil derived from microalgae Schizochytrium.", BIT's 1st Annual International Congress of Marine Algae (AICMA2012), Dalian, China, September 20-23, 2012.
- Xi, K., Zantinge, J.L., Meadus, W.J., Nyachiro, J.M., and Turkington, T.K. (2012). "Barley cultivar resistance in relation to Rynchosporium secalis virulence in Alberta.", 7th Canadian Barley Symposium, Calgary, AB, Canada, July 8-10, 2012.
- Xi, K., Zantinge, J.L., Meadus, W.J., and Nyachiro, J.M. (2012). "Determining Rynchosporium secalis virulence in relation to barley culitvar resistance and identifying related pathogen DNA sequences.", 11th International Barley Genetics Symposium (IBGS), Hangzhou, China, April 15-20, 2012.
- Meadus, W.J. (2011). "DHA Reduces Triglycerides and Stimulates Fat Metabolism in Pigs.", 60th Annual Meeting of the CSAS/SCSA, Atlantica Hotel, Halifax, NS, Canada, May 4-5, 2011. (Presentation)
- Meadus, W.J., Dugan, M.E.R, Uttaro, B., Aalhus, J.L., Rolland, D., and Duff, P. (2011). "Feeding Docosahexaenoic acid in microalgae biomass to pigs reduces triglycerides and induces fat oxidation in liver, adipose and muscle.", 60th Annual Meeting of the Canadian Society of Animal Science (CSAS), Atlantica Hotel, Halifax, NS, Canada, May 4-5, 2011. (Poster)
- Meadus, W.J., Chau, W., Aslam, M., and Bing, D.-J. (2010). "Identifying cultivated pea varieties using a rapid DNA test for the retro-transposon genes Ogre and Cyclops.", 5th International Food Legumes Research Conference (IFLRC V) and 7th European Conference on Grain Legumes (AEP VII), Antalya, Turkey, April 26-30, 2010.
- Meadus, W.J., Dugan, M.E.R, Aalhus, J.L., Uttaro, B., and Duff, P. (2010). "The effect of feeding omega-3 DHA on liver, muscle and fat tissue gene expression.", 90th Annual Conference of the Canadian Meat Council, Fairmont Empress Victoria Conference Centre, Victoria, BC, Canada, May 5-7, 2010.
- Meadus, W.J., Uttaro, B., Dugan, M.E.R, Aalhus, J.L., Duff, P., Rolland, D.C., and Gibson, L.L. (2009). "Enrichment of pork products with DHA omega-3 lipids.", 38th Banff Pork Seminar: Bringing Back Profitability, Banff, AB, Canada, January 20-23, 2009. (Abstract)
- Date modified: