Dairy Farm Investment Program – 2. Eligibility
Eligible applicants must be legal entities capable of entering into legally binding agreements.
Eligible applicants must be Canadian licensed cow's milk producers.
Eligible activities must relate to improving productivity of milk production from cows in Canada, such as:
- hiring of external expertise to assess how the dairy farm enterprise can improve efficiencies and productivity
- purchasing, shipping, and installing eligible equipment (for example: barn equipment, commercial-off-the-shelf software and IT infrastructure)
- training necessary to operate eligible equipment
- retrofits of current facilities related to the installation and operation of eligible equipment
Two types of projects are eligible. Each application must be presented as either:
- a Large Investment Project, or
- a Small Investment Project.
A Large Investment Project is the purchase of:
- a single unit of equipment where the total cost for purchase and installation exceeds $120,000; or
- a new system that improves efficiencies and productivity of milk production and where the total cost for purchase and installation exceeds $120,000 (for example: robotic milking and feeding systems)
Eligible costs of a Large Investment Project can be reimbursed up to 50%, to the program maximum funding amount of $250,000.
A Small Investment Project is any other investment in eligible equipment (that is an investment that does not meet the criteria for a Large Investment Project).
Eligible costs of a Small Investment Project can be reimbursed up to 50%, to a maximum of $60,000.
Eligible equipment types
The purchase of used equipment is ineligible. Only barn equipment that is new and commercially available is eligible.
- barn operation (lighting systems, ventilation systems, manure management)
- cow comfort and feeding (mats, brushes, feed pushers, milk taxis)
- herd management (automatic in-line cell counter, electronic identification system)
- milking (parlour and robotic milking systems, twin milk filters)
A comprehensive list of eligible equipment types can be found in Annex A of the Applicant Guide.
Costs related to the purchase and installation of equipment are also eligible under the program (examples include retrofits, shipping, translation for training documents).
- Date modified: