Ottawa Research and Development Centre Open House with Ottawa Bug Day
September 8, 2018
9 am to 4 pm
Come out to the Central Experimental Farm for two all-ages events – both with free admission and parking.
The Ottawa Research and Development Centre (ORDC) is hosting an open house from 9 am to 4 pm.
Hop-on/hop-off a horse-drawn wagon ride to multiple activities while hearing about the history of the Central Experimental Farm:
- Go inside the research greenhouses to meet researchers, see displays of their work, and ask questions about the latest in agricultural research
- Participate in kid-friendly science experiments
- See display plots of new crop varieties and find out how to keep soil healthy
- Keep an eye out for aerial drones and find out how they are used in agriculture
- Pick your favourite team in the horse-drawn ploughing demonstrations
- Take a tour of the Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada (AAFC) National Collection of Vascular Plants
- Enjoy the specially planted wild pollinator garden and get tips for attracting them to your garden at home, and
- See the beautifully restored tropical greenhouse with its colourful plantings
We've paired again with the popular Ottawa Bug Day, organized by the Entomological Society of Ontario. Hop off the wagon at the K.W. Neatby Building to:
- Interact with creepy crawlies in the live insect zoo
- Enjoy aquatic insects displays
- Get tips on how to start your own bug collection
- Go on a bug collecting expedition
- Experience some insect cuisine
- Speak with experts and view specimens from Canada's world famous National Collection of Insects, Arachnids and Nematodes, and
- Bet on your favourite to win in the always unpredictable cockroach races!
Visitors are encouraged to bring in interesting insects and let the knowledgeable team of bug experts identify them.
The ORDC open house and Ottawa Bug Day are great ways to experience some of the fantastic research work being done at the Central Experimental Farm. Rain or shine, come join us for an activity-filled day of science, learning, and fun.
960 Carling Avenue
For more information, visit: Ottawa Research and Development Centre or Bug Day Ottawa 2018.
- Date modified: