Functional Foods and Natural Health Products Sector
Canada has emerged as a global supplier of foods with enhanced functional attributes and of natural health products. Find facts and market information about the functional foods and natural health products sector, resources to find out about regulatory requirements applying to the industry and a database tool to connect buyers to suppliers.
- Functional foods are foods enhanced with bioactive ingredients and which have demonstrated health benefits, such as probiotic yogurt, or breads and pasta with added pea fibre.
- Natural health products are extracts derived from natural sources and which have demonstrated health benefits, such as omega-3 capsules or beta-glucan supplements.
Services and information
- Industry overview
Get an overview of the Canadian functional foods and natural health products sector.
- Database tool to connect buyers to suppliers
The Database tool to connect buyers to suppliers supports sector growth by connecting buyers with Canadian suppliers of bioactives, ingredients, products and services.
- Trends and market opportunities
Find market information on Canadian functional foods and natural health products, including survey data, trends, market opportunities and challenges.
- Determine the right regulatory framework for your product
Learn to determine whether your product is regulated as a food or as a natural health product.
- Navigating through food regulatory requirements
Access resources that help industry navigate the relevant regulatory approval processes, including scientific substantiation, for innovative food products.
- Foreign market information by region
Access market information on processed food and beverages, organized by region, to learn about market trends and opportunities around the world.
Food Industry Division
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
1341 Baseline Road
Tower 5, 4th floor
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0C5
- Date modified: