Infographic: What is Country of Origin Labeling (COOL)?
Description of the above image (1 of 2)
Why is mandatory COOL a problem?
- Meat from Canadian animals slaughtered in the United States (U.S.) must be labeled differently which causes discrimination.
How COOL discrimination hurts the U.S. economy:
- The U.S. Department of Agriculture has estimated COOL will cost the U.S. billions
- 9, 000 or more U.S. jobs could be lost
- U.S. plant viability is at risk
- No price premiums for producers
- Increased costs from farm to fork
Description of the above image (2 of 2)
World Trade Organization (WTO) retaliation puts U.S. exports at risk (Canada and Mexico have challenged COOL at the WTO which permits retaliation on measures that are inconsistent with trade obligations.)
- Certain U.S. exports could face 100% tariffs if Canada and Mexico retaliate
- That will lead to lost exports further hurting the U.S. economy and U.S. jobs
Canada is your biggest customer
Show your support! #FixCOOL
How important is our trading relationship? Check it out: www.agr.gc.ca/agpartners
- Date modified: