Canada's poultry and egg industry profile
... at a glance
- In 2018, Canada produced poultry and egg products worth $4.6 billion, contributing 7.3% of cash receipts to farming operations.
- In 2018, there were 2,877 regulated chicken producers and 531 registered turkey producers, 243 broiler hatching egg producers and 1,143 egg producers in Canada. In addition to the 4,794 commercial poultry and egg producers in Canada, there were a large number of businesses associated with these production activities.
- In 2018, Canada's commercial chicken and turkey meat production totaled 1,43 billion kilograms, eviscerated equivalent.
- In 2018, Canada produced 1.3 billion kilograms of chicken, 60.4% of which was produced in Quebec and Ontario.
- Demand for poultry and egg products is growing. Over the last 5 years, food availability increased annually on average by 2.3% for chicken, 1.4% for turkey, and 2.5% for eggs.
- Chicken is the most consumed meat animal protein source. In 2018, 34.6 kg of chicken was available for every person in Canada, as well as 4.3 kg of turkey.
- Per capita availability of eggs reached 21.1 dozen per person in 2018. Supplying egg and poultry producers in 2018 were 66 hatcheries along with numerous feed manufacturers, feed supplement suppliers and drug suppliers. In addition, many processors, further processors, egg grading and egg processing establishments in Canada depend on the poultry industries for a portion of their business. In 2018, Canada exported over 14.6 million chicks and poults, worth $56.7 million to 22 countries. The United States was the largest market, representing 76% of our exports in Canadian dollars. Other countries included China, Brazil, Taiwan, Sri Lanka, Japan, and South Africa.
- In 2018, Canada exported over 38.9 million hatching eggs of different species, worth over 65 million dollars, to 25 countries. The United States was the largest market with 54% of our value exported heading south of the border, while other primary countries included Russia, Turkey and France.
- That same year, over 149 million kilograms of poultry meat and edible bi-products (fresh, chilled, frozen), worth $522 million were exported to 61 countries with largest importers being the United States, Philippines, Taiwan and South Africa. Other importing countries included Cuba, Hong Kong and Gabon.
- In 2018, Canada exported 5.2 million kilograms of processed eggs worth 14.9 million dollars and 1.5 million dozen shell eggs worth over 2.4 million dollars.
If you have any questions or require additional information, please send an e-mail to email@example.com
Our service standards
Service standards play a vital role in our market information program’s commitment to planning, reporting and performance management. They clearly define the level of service that clients can expect under normal circumstances.
- Date modified: