Canada's chicken industry
... at a glance
- In 2018, Canadian chicken production generated $2.7 billion, contributing 4% of cash receipts to farming operations.
- In 2018, there were 2,877 regulated chicken producers in Canada. In addition to the nearly 4,794 commercial poultry and egg producers in Canada, there are a large number of businesses associated with these production activities.
- In 2018, Canada produced 1.3 billion kilograms of chicken (eviscerated weight), 60.4% of which was produced in Quebec and Ontario. Food availability of chicken in 2018 was 34.6 kilograms per person.
- That same year, the average chicken farm produced 437,115 kilograms of chicken meat (eviscerated weight).
- In 2017, retail chicken purchases accounted for approximately 713 million kilograms representing 59% of Canada's total chicken food availability. Fast food services consumed 293 million kilograms (24%), full service restaurants consumed 140 million kilograms (12%), and hotels and institutions consumed 66 million kilograms (5%).
- In 2018, Canada exported over 5.7 million chicks worth over $20.7 million to 28 countries. The United States was the largest market (69% in head count). Other countries included Brazil, China and Taiwan.
- That same year, 123.5 million kilograms of chicken meat and edible bi-products (fresh, chilled, frozen), worth $456.4 million, was exported to 46 countries, with the largest importers being the United States, Philippines and Taiwan. Other countries included Cuba and Hong Kong.
- Industry Indicators
- Imports and Exports
- Inter-provincial Movements
- Storage Stocks
Canadian federally registered plants and stations
- Codes of Practice for the care and handling of farm animals - Chickens, Turkeys and Breeders from Hatchery to Processing Plant
- Codes of Practice for the care and handling of farm animals - Poultry - Layers
- Managing a Small Poultry Flock
- Raising Chicken and Turkey Broilers in Canada
If you have any questions or require additional information, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Our service standards
Service standards play a vital role in our market information program’s commitment to planning, reporting and performance management. They clearly define the level of service that clients can expect under normal circumstances.
- Date modified: