2017 Medium Term Outlook for Canadian Agriculture
About the Report
The Medium Term Outlook (MTO) provides a baseline projection of agricultural markets from 2016 to 2026. It is a forward-looking scenario based on current information and factors that influence international and Canadian agriculture and agri-food sectors.
- The MTO projects the value of total agricultural and agri-food exports will continue to increase during the period between 2016 and 2026.
- The crop sector is projected to see rising exports, led by oilseeds.
- Continued expansion in the developing economies and a relatively low Canadian dollar are expected to help drive growth in Canada’s farm sector.
- World grain prices are projected to rise slightly over the coming decade, as global demand for crops will slightly exceed production.
- Relatively low feed costs will contribute to expansions in both the cattle and hog sectors.
- Supply-managed commodity production is expected to grow, reflecting increases in per capita consumption and population.
To request a copy of the complete publication, please contact:
Departmental Publications Service
- Date modified: