Canadian Pari-Mutuel Agency
The Canadian Pari-Mutuel Agency (CPMA) is a special operating agency within Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada that regulates and supervises pari-mutuel betting in Canada on horse races, thereby ensuring that pari-mutuel betting is conducted in a way that is fair to the public.
Our vision is to continuously maintain and enforce national standards that will protect the betting public by ensuring a modern and effective regulatory framework is in place.
The CPMA carries out the following:
- permits, licences and authorizations for Canadian racetrack and betting theatre operators to conduct pari-mutuel betting on horse races;
- auditing and monitoring of pari-mutuel betting activities;
- testing of horses to deter the use of prohibited substances through the Equine Drug Control Program;
- performing research on drug testing;
- providing information on elimination guidelines for veterinary drugs;
- enforcing the Pari-Mutuel Betting Supervision Regulations (see Acts and Regulations - Canadian Pari-Mutuel Agency); and
- compiling statistical information on pari-mutuel betting activities (see Reports).
- Date modified: