Pest Management Centre
The Pest Management Centre (PMC) was established in 2003 as a unique partnership between the grower community, federal and provincial governments, and the crop protection industry, to improve Canadian growers’ access to new and reduced-risk tools and approaches for crop protection. It operates from its headquarters at the Central Experimental Farm in Ottawa and at seven Research Centres across the country including Kentville, Nova Scotia; Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Québec; Vineland, Ontario; Harrow, Ontario; Scott, Saskatchewan; and Summerland and Agassiz, British Columbia.
PMC delivers two programs, both joint initiatives with Health Canada’s Pest Management Regulatory Agency (HC-PMRA), which support the goals of the Growing Forward 2 Framework:
- The Pesticide Risk Reduction Program, which is focused on the development of strategies to reduce reliance on and risks associated with the use of pesticides in Canadian major and minor crop production; and
- The Minor Use Pesticides Program, which responds to the needs of Canadian growers for increased access to new minor uses of pesticides.
In addition, the PMC currently leads and contributes to a number of initiatives.
- Jointly with industry, the PMC chairs the Canadian Horticultural Council – Pest Management Centre Invasive Alien Species Coordination Group, targeting efforts related to two new insect pests;
- Partners with HC-PMRA to implement Minor Use Pesticide/harmonization commitments of the Canada-United States Regulatory Cooperation Council;
- Coordinates Canada’s contributions to international initiatives at the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) level to foster uptake of integrated pest management (IPM) approaches for more sustainable crop protection.
The PMC receives advice from advisory and technical committees with members from the grower community, industry, government, research and environmental groups.
- Minor Use Pesticides Program
- Pesticide Risk Reduction Program
- Advisory and Technical Committees
- Publications and Newsletter
- External Links
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Contact the Pest Management Centre
Periodically the Pest Management Centre sends out notifications on new information to subscribers via the listserv, such as: Submission and Registration reports, Project Status by Crop reports, Crop Profiles, Sustainable Crop Protection factsheets, PMC newsletters and Implementation project results. To stay current register to receive E-mail Notifications via the listserv.
- Date modified: