Description of the above image
Growing Forward 2
A federal-provincial-territorial initiative
Positioning Canada's Agriculture and Agri-Food Sector for Growth and Prosperity
Growing Forward 2 is a 5-year policy framework (2013-2018) for Canada's agricultural and agri-food sector, developed in consultation with industry.
A $3 billion investment by federal, provincial and territorial governments and the foundation for government agricultural programs and services, which includes:
- $1 billion in federally-led programming, and
- $2 billion in cost-shared programming tailored to meet regional needs.
GF2 programs focus on:
- Innovation, competitiveness and market development.
- Enabling the sector to innovate and capitalize on emerging market opportunities.
- An effective suite of Business Risk Management programs.
- Developing and commercializing new products and technologies
- $698 million
- Increasing industry adoption of food safety and traceability systems, and seizing new markets
- $341 million
- Increasing profitability in domestic and global markets
- $114.5 million
$2 billion investment under GF2 cost-shared with provinces and territories on a 60/40 basis. Provides flexibility to provinces and territories to design and deliver programs that address their regional needs. Activities fall under 3 key priority areas: Innovation; Competitiveness & Market Development; and Adaptability and Industry Capacity.
- Competitiveness & Market Development; and
- Adaptability and Industry Capacity
Cost-Shared Business Risk Management Programs
Helping farmers manage risk due to severe market volatility and disaster situations
BRM support provided since 2007:
- AgriInvest – $3.1 billion deposited to producers' accounts, including $563 million in federal funds to kickstart producers accounts.
- AgriStability – $4.8 billion to assist producers who experienced large margin declines.
- AgriInsurance – $7.9 billion to cover production losses caused by natural hazards.
- AgriRecovery – $916 million to help producers recover from natural disasters.
- AgriRisk – $40 million to explore, develop and adopt new private sector or producer-funded agricultural risk management tools.
To find out more:
- Visit www.agr.gc.ca/gf2 or call 1-877-246-4682
- Explore GF2 programming using AgPal